A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Social Awareness, Politics and World Events

Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
Adhikari
आत्मन्

Steve Jobs, R.I.P.

Of course as the creative individual he was, Steve Jobs will be missed by people throughout the world. Many of us use Apple products.

Steve Jobs Died 'Peacefully,' Family Says

There is a small SRF connection as well. This from Yogananda.net in 2008

Quote:
A minister told me yesterday that Steven Jobs, of Apple, personally called Mother Center asking if he could sell the CD version the AY on ITunes - MC agreed, now it's avail on ITunes - Steven Jobs LOVES the AY the minister said, might be a devotee.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
mccoy
supernal user

Peace to his soul in the other realms.
His idea was good since I couldn't use the AOY CD's in my car radio since the CD's were too thick and got stuck in the player.
Think I'm going to buy that version.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.

Last edited by mccoy; 10-06-2011 at 03:48 PM.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Nilima

I had no idea that he had called Mother Center directly about putting AoY on iTunes! I have seen it available for several years.
Nilima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
rasa
enjoy the unbelievable

When I first heard of Steve Jobs' death my immediate reaction was; how could he die? He was too successful. Of course death didn't care. It also doesn't seem to matter how imminent death is, everyone feels they should go on eternally. This is the evidence of the soul's immortality. If our entire being had a built-in clock we'd probably have a much easier time accepting an expiration date.

I am a PC and dumbphone user, but I really like some of Steve's thinking that contributed to his success. Like how he said death was his biggest motivator and that you have to work to make your thinking simple and clear. That is so true in our present culture when we are so used to clutter and unneeded sophistications. We are mostly very advanced in how to please our mind and senses.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
mccoy
supernal user

From a biography released in the internet it is told he was a Zen buddhist and an LSD user.

Definitely not and SRF devotee.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Adhikari
आत्मन्

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
From a biography released in the internet it is told he was a Zen buddhist and an LSD user.

Definitely not and SRF devotee.
I agree that he was not an SRF devotee by any stretch of that term, but in his defense, I think his LSD experimentation was confined to the 1970s.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhikari View Post
I agree that he was not an SRF devotee by any stretch of that term, but in his defense, I think his LSD experimentation was confined to the 1970s.
Yes, but he appeared to have been sort of proud of his use, and criticizing Bill gates for being a 'square'.

This kind of news propagates false ideas that use of drugs makes your intuition better. Bill Gates in the scale of sheer richness has been the absolute best for years without mentioning any use of drugs but leading a quiet and very sober (outwardly) life.

Anyway, I'll concede that his views might have changed more recently, journalists often do not excel as far as accuracy is concerned
Old 10-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
mccoy
supernal user

That's an abstract from an article I read today. If true, that's seriously deranged and encouraging very bad practices. Very bad karma for Mr. jobs (again, if true). Translated from the Italian. Please tell me that's wrong.

Quote:
In an interview-book Jobs declared that drug has been "one of the two or three most important things I did in my life". From his own admission, LSD might have brought to the "Think differnt" approach which still makes Apple the most admired design in the world.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #9
mccoy
supernal user

Some of that bad karma was compensated by marketing the AOY though. Anyway I thought it back, I won't buy it. And I'm glad after my first McIntosh in 1994 I only had PC's.

Also, my distrust for Ipad and Iphone, expensive and dubiously useful toys, turned out to be founded after all. Just a costly trend from a (former?) LSD user convinced he did right.

I apologize in advance for my obvious repulsion for a recognized genius
Old 10-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
rasa
enjoy the unbelievable

Quote:
Bill Gates in the scale of sheer richness has been the absolute best for years without mentioning any use of drugs but leading a quiet and very sober (outwardly) life.
I use a PC because it's cheaper, but to me Bile Gates and Microsoft now has the most complacent, cluttered approach to technology I can possibly imagine. I've thought of Gates and Microsoft more recently as merely "soft", meaning they are not hungry enough to do things progressively anymore. I loved and learned a lot on Windows XP but Vista and 7 are mainly a persistent mess.

Jobs did mention that his LSD experiences were some of the most important in his life. The difference between him and the majority of intoxicant users was he realized it was a stepping stone. There were a good number of those who thought like that, but they more or less got replaced by the "party high - all the time" dimwits of the 1970s. I still believe there are a good number of people who may have never become interested in raising their consciousness beyond the so-called American Dream if it hadn't been for mind-altering substances, though their continued use may lead to very swift death.

But Jobs also was instrumental in exporting a lot of jobs to China - people who will tolerate a lot of abuse and work for cheap until they completely crack. Perhaps Globalism is part of the ultimate Acid Dream. Ha ha - there's one for the corporate conservatives - your corporate lobbying is now an acid trip. Maybe you can fit THAT into your Ayn Randian/Fundamentalist Christian viewpoint.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 AM   #11
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa View Post
Maybe you can fit THAT into your Ayn Randian/Fundamentalist Christian viewpoint.
I have no idea of who is Ayn randian but I'm going to look it up. I'm well aware unfortunately of the very faulty systems Mr. Bill gates has been selling and of the more robust apple OS, at a cost which is not double but maybe, considering the availability of software, tenfold.

What I strongly criticize about Mr. Jobs is that he publicly released what can be construed as a concealed encouragement to the use of hallucinogenic substances.

It's not just a matter of health in the long run. We've been speaking of the demons and tramp souls of the astral world. Hallucinogenic drugs may ruin one's life exposing one's mind to the influx of evil entities.

In such a fashion, we might say that mr. Jobs has been an instrument of Satan.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
rasa
enjoy the unbelievable

Quote:
I have no idea of who is Ayn randian but I'm going to look it up...
I was referring to America's neo-conservatives, who seem to have an uncanny mix of Ayn Rand's objectivist (atheist) viewpoints and Fundamentalist or Evangelical Christianity all in one place. Conservative Republicans tend to favor corporate special interest groups, and thus are known as the "party of the rich". Since Jobs' company now has more money than the Federal Government, I thought why not throw LSD into the mix? It worked for him!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #13
mccoy
supernal user

It is evident that he is an offspring of the hippies culture and that he inherited some unconventional aspects of it which I do not mind at all, but implying that LSD might have been a source of your success and declaring it publicly sure is not a great service to humankind.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #14
Adhikari
आत्मन्

The plain truth

The plain truth is that he was a worldly man, brilliant, but by no means a saint.

What Everyone Is Too Polite to Say About Steve Jobs

The only businessman that I can think of for the moment who was definitely a saint was Rajarsi Janakananda, though there may be others.

Jobs' claims about LSD came as recently as 2005, so it is something he really believed. I'm not so sure how much scorn to heap upon him though as many others, especially musicians, have done much more to make drugs seem desirable. Some of the Beatles' albums were very trippy. "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" was, I believe, a drug reference. Music-based drug examples are almost innumerable. Also, Jobs wasn't a high priest for the drug like Timothy Leary.

The complexities of karma are too great for me to comprehend. I have no idea what Jobs' fate will be when everything is taken into consideration. Maybe it will in part depend on whether people did indeed hurt themselves because of his recommendation of LSD.

But its good to think about the negatives of Jobs to counteract his seeming instantaneous beatification. To me, he wouldn't be as important to discuss if it were not for that tiny SRF-related anecdote.

(By the way, iTunes and the iPod are the only Apple products that I utilize.)

Last edited by Adhikari; 10-09-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Adhikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
pachiaammos

I don't prefer to assess anyone primarily by their greatest misjudgement.

Nobu
pachiaammos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
Water

God Bless You Steve Jobs!!!
You gave as Lightness Beauty and Light.
You married Art and Technology.
GENIUS!!!
A Paragon of Technology.A Deity.
nobody can be compared to you,you have made history.there's not a CEO who can be compared to your uniqness...u r not in the books,now they'll start writng books about ur Virtues and Vices.
May you be welcome into heaven with both hands and with Lord's permission add touch or two of your uniqness
Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #17
Water

it 's sad to see how again and again some people expect some persons to be perfect!
i say take a good loong look at yorself.!has ur thinking been perfect all ur life?
" acting " " " ?
" reacting " " " " ?
" feelingS " " " " ? extc.....
if the answer is Yes to all of that.Then you can criticise and bring down A Genius.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:58 AM   #18
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water View Post
it 's sad to see how again and again some people expect some persons to be perfect!
i say take a good loong look at yorself.!has ur thinking been perfect all ur life?
" acting " " " ?
" reacting " " " " ?
" feelingS " " " " ? extc.....
if the answer is Yes to all of that.Then you can criticise and bring down A Genius.
Well, I can make comparative judgments all right, and pretty unbiased ones on top of that.

Perfection is not the issue, here.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #19
Adhikari
आत्मन्

More information about Steve Jobs in relation to Yoganandaji.

The Steve Jobs Reading List

Quote:
During his freshman year at Reed College, Jobs befriended Daniel Kottke, who went on to work at Apple, and together they devoured books such as Shunryu Suzuki's "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind," Chogyam Trungpa's "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism" and Paramahansa Yogananda's "Autobiography of a Yogi," a book Jobs read and re-read many times during his life.
Quote:
One book in particular stayed with Jobs his entire life, and Isaacson noted that it was the only book Jobs had downloaded on his iPad 2: "Autobiography of a Yogi," "the guide to meditation and spirituality that he had first read as a teenager," Isaacson writes, "then re-read in India and had read once a year ever since."
Old 10-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #20
mccoy
supernal user

+2 to Jobs for his reading preferences

-10 to have learned little from his favourite reading. If he implicitly advised the use of LSD then we must infer that he did not understand perfectly the message of Autobiography of a Yogi.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #21
pachiaammos

Quote:
we must infer that he did not understand perfectly the message of Autobiography of a Yogi.
And who does?
pachiaammos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #22
Water

Every Genius has a minus.Let alone the rest of the people.If i knew that he advertised d use of drugs it,would not make me happy....i will forgive him..
individuals karma ,my karma extc. i think is not a place for me to make assumptions,prejudices extc.who really knows these things!?maybe those who say they do know it ,are simply self centred.
i've heard of many high calibre proffesionals(surrgens,lawyers,doctors,traders...) ..mothers) using different kinds of drugs i.e.cannabies,heroin,LSD,extacy,extc.
i don't applaud people who do that but,i try to understand as to why they do it.i.e.it,s not what you are drinking it's why you are drinking.
each persons life energy is unique...so they r their negat. and posit. traits.to some people it would look like oh i would do that better and i wouldn't use any drugs or watever but,only they live in their skin with all the life tapestry and they r doing the best they can. some people keep reapiting the same mistakes were as on d other hand they r doing something wonderfully well.
i trully doubt that in this century we will learn of a Genius who dosn't have this or that negativity.perhaps thier negat. should be disscussed but i trully doubt that we should concentrate on it.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #23
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachiaammos View Post
And who does?
Supernal users of this board do...
Old 10-25-2011, 02:42 AM   #24
mccoy
supernal user

Water, some can evidently tolerate some drugs. Erdos used benzedrine to publish his over 1000 article of theoretical mathematics, without benzedrine he said his sheet of paper would remain blank. I have fun in publishing some technical articles but I'm never going to take benzedrine to get inspiration, some other may be more sensitive to such suggestions though, so public declarations should always be avoided (the Erdos fact came out in a postumous biography) .

Also, high calibre professionals who take drugs are evidently unsatisfied of their lives and achievements, they are missing real happiness, as Yoganandaji stated, they are actually failures.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #25
Water

I wonder has Steve been using drugs all of his life?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #26
Adhikari
आत्मन्

Quote:
I wonder has Steve been using drugs all of his life?
The impression I got was that he only used them for a time in the 1970s. However, Jobs' claims about LSD came as recently as 2005, so it is something he really believed.

In regards to his sin of praising his LSD experience, I view that as honest testimony about an autobiographical episode. I don't believe he was under an obligation to denounce his experience if it it was good from a subjective point of view. I consider reporting on what one subjectively experiences as morally neutral. I don't see him as an advocate for LSD, especially since this information wasn't widely known until recently.

As far as the scales of his life are concerned, I can only only say that from the public record he was more good than bad.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #27
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
As far as the scales of his life are concerned, I can only only say that from the public record he was more good than bad.
Adhikari,
so, in the context of our small court of discriminative justice, are we going to declare him innocent or guilty?
Old 10-28-2011, 04:07 AM   #28
mccoy
supernal user

This is going to be like a people's jury, my vote would be: innocent of the main charge, guilty of minor misbehaviour, some work to do in the astral purgatory (or a short spell in the astral hells).

Anyone is invited to express his or her vote, the final verdict will be based on that.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #29
thisbody

Judge not, so ye not be judged.
thisbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #30
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbody View Post
Judge not, so ye not be judged.
Thisbody, this is a popular jury, so I'm not judging, just a jury member carrying out my duty toward the united States of God.

I take it you abstain from the vote, so you're neglecting your duty, that means baddish karma, hope I won't be called to evaluate your behaviour pal, in any case you can be sure my evaluation will be oriented toward a mild, very mild punishment, like having a look at the astral hells from a webcam.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #31
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty View Post
I believe God is Love. God does NOT judge. We do it to ourselves..judge ourselves or others. Would a mother or father judge their infant if the baby does something wrong? All this dream drama is calling us to unite with the greater love of all loves? Only Love.
Isn't the law of karma - a balancing act to stillness?

Liberty, we can see God in all his multifarious manifestations: The compassionate mother, the loving and helping friend, the ruthless disciplinarian, the stern judge.

The Cosmic Judge is going to judge and punish errorlessly those who play havoc with his laws. Without fail, without mercy, regardless of age, sex, race, wealth, creed. There is no escape from his supernal court of justice.

I just love this manifestation !
Old 10-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #32
thisbody

Quote:
Thisbody, this is a popular jury, so I'm not judging, just a jury member carrying out my duty toward the united States of God.

I take it you abstain from the vote, so you're neglecting your duty, that means baddish karma, hope I won't be called to evaluate your behaviour pal, in any case you can be sure my evaluation will be oriented toward a mild, very mild punishment, like having a look at the astral hells from a webcam.

Appreciate yer "gut" sense of humour, pal. Looking at you through a webcam, sitting in a "superstar-jury" down in the underworld of first, second, or third spheres. Quite sure, you'd live by yer duties, well.
thisbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #33
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbody View Post
Appreciate yer "gut" sense of humour, pal. Looking at you through a webcam, sitting in a "superstar-jury" down in the underworld of first, second, or third spheres. Quite sure, you'd live by yer duties, well.
Mate, what you are seeing thru is a halloween webcam, I'm in a tramp-soul costume. A hell of a juror, indeed.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #34
Water

Quote:
The impression I got was that he only used them for a time in the 1970s. However, Jobs' claims about LSD came as recently as 2005, so it is something he really believed.

In regards to his sin of praising his LSD experience, I view that as honest testimony about an autobiographical episode. I don't believe he was under an obligation to denounce his experience if it it was good from a subjective point of viewneutral. I consider reporting on what one subjectively experiences as morally neutral. I don't see him as an advocate for LSD, especially since this information wasn't widely known until recently.

Thanx Adhikari this's how i always felt but,just couldn't find d words.

Especiall when u said"I consider reporting on what one subjectively experiences as morally neutral"
Old 11-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #35
Water

mccoy,
before we judge anybody else maybe we should judge you 1st.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #36
Water

Walter Isaacson recentley wrote a book on The Man.The biography is based on many hrs.spand with Steve and his familly ,sometimes he would stay in his home aswell.
in an interview with Charlie Rose this is what he said;
*He joined Romance & Sensibility. My comment;
we can see there's a high number of divorce rate,perhaps moast people luck sensibillity(romance is easy for majority)
*.....Beauty for Everybody....
*he's a ; Inovator,Engineer,Creator....and Emotional man.my comment-(maybe some people should look in dictonary to read and find out exactley what those words means)
*he would sometimes talk to Walter about things and cry....
*he was brutally honest with others and himself.he can easily tell you what's your emotion behind-Bill Gates isn't emotionall
*he was controlling Passion for Perfection
*Steve would sometimes say "there's a velvet glove to do things-that's not me"
*sometimes sharpness,roughness is need it....
*they had a reward in d company called Who Stood Up The Best To Steve.Those people got promoted.
*if he was trully mean he wouldn't have such a loyal stuff
*people said"he made me do things i thought i couldn't do" !
*deepley emotional person
*2 sides 2 him
*he disrupted 7 Industries!
*Steve's intuition is based on experiental wisdom.He's Genius cos of he knew what emotionally connects .Not because he's d smartest in The Silicon Valley.
*was abondned by many people in 1985
*Steve would say"Journey is The Reward"
Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #37
Water

If Steve is a bad man i, trully doubt that The Mother Centre would allow AOY to be on iTunes.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #38
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
mccoy,
before we judge anybody else maybe we should judge you 1st.
Absolutely yes, I look forward to be judged ruthlessly and see myself as the others see me.

That's the gist of the famous Robert Burn's verse cited by Daya Mata.

Even as I do not fear judgment, on the contrary I welcome it, I reserve the right to judge, applying God-given discrimination and rational analysis (when and if i'm able to apply it).