A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Open Discussion

Old 05-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
triguybos

Sharing personal experiences of Master

Besides the amazing personal experiences that his direct disciples and friends tell about their interactions with Guruji, I was wondering if any of us have had him touch us personally? I heard individual stories at Convocation about Master "speaking" with that particular person. It was fascinating listening to them and knowing that he is ever consciously with us, whether we know it or not.

When I lived in Southern California, I regularly cycled and/or ran up and down Highway 101 through Encinitas, then oblivious to the grand church-like building that is the SRF Encinitas Hermitage as I passed it. Years later, after becoming a devotee and visiting the place on a pilgrimage, it dawned on me that I must have biked and ran by Master countless times without knowing it. Fast forward to a couple of years ago at Convocation... I thought about making a pilgrimage to Mother Center later during the week I was there, and people tell me that it was most likely sold out. Nevertheless, I went to the pilgrimage desk to buy a seat on the bus and was told that it was indeed sold out for the whole week. As I stood there, there was a fellow devotee who, after listening to my inquiry at the desk, asked me if I wanted to go to Mother Center. To which I replied yes, but that it was sold out. To which she handed to me a ticket for that pilgrimage, explaining to me that she was looking forward to that pilgrimage herself, but "something" within her spurred her to donate her ticket. She then said that she guessed it was meant for me. I was beside myself and thanked her profusely. The desk volunteer smiled while watching this exchange and said that those tickets for Mother Center are hard to come by.

Master surely must've "heard" my thought to visit him at Mother Center and obliged my request. One might reasonably argue that it's mere coincidence of being at the right place at the right time. But as we all know... there are no coincidences. So I gave Master a heartfelt shout-out of gratitude when I visited Mother Center.

I have another "no coincidence" incident at Hidden Valley ashram to tell. But I'm curious if others here have experienced Master "talking" to them personally.

I, for one, am convinced that he is alive and well. One but only have to put one's consciousness on him, and there he is and sometimes communicating with you!

Jai Guru!
triguybos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
Dave

Who knows if it isn't just subconscious?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
Philippe

Nothing Dave.
Those experiences are deep personal subjective Satoris that cannot be shared with someone who doubts them.
Noboby can walk the way for us.

Ramakrishna had a lady disciple who was fond of baby Krishna. She was without children, and was nursing all the day a baby Krishna that only she could see.
Vivekananda was very critical of that type of relationship with the divine : the psychological mecanisms were too obvious for him.
After that his Guru gave him Samadhi experiences, he asked him about his opinion about this woman.
Vivekananda answered very humbly : "that's fine, that's perfect spirituality".

Last edited by Philippe; 05-21-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Philippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #4
Delsol
Administrator

Thank you for sharing triguybos! Such a beautiful experience! I have heard similar stories over the years of how Master intervenes, often helping devotees with sincere interest make it to convocation, find accommodations, when otherwise such was not likely. Heartwarming and inspirational!

:
Old 05-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
Bryon777

hi triguybos,

when I first came to SRF in 1983, Master gave me many experiences for the first few years, then they disappeared...Bro. Dharmanandaji said God will give newbies such experiences so they KNOW that SRF and Master are the real deal...then God expects us to work hard to attain spiritual growth with or without more experiences

well, I finally got another experience recently: Master put up road blocks to "corral" me into a situation he wanted me in

many years ago, Hidden Valley Ashram was my spiritual home, and I went there often for visits or residencies that sometimes lasted over a year; about 2-3 years ago, something happened there that hurt my feelings ("wahhhh"), so I did not go back to Hidden Valley for a long time; then Master got me to go there recently during a conducted retreat (remember when Master wanted to go to the Himalayas and Sri Yukteswarji used his yogic powers to control events in the AY?)

Master's roadblock #1: he made my truck break down and I had to leave it in Fontana at a repair shop--I usually live in my truck (has like a camper shell), and would've taken care of much personal business and socialized if I had my truck with me, leaving little time to spend at the ashram

Master's roadblock #2: he made my friend tell me I had to pay $ or work to sleep on his floor for a few nights--I have been so generous to this friend, and was outraged that he was being so selfish, imo...so I thought, if he wants me to work, I will work instead at Hidden Valley on a work retreat!

and there you have it: I was guided like the lost sheep that I am into a spiritual environment where I gained great blessings for 4 days! (and boy, did I need those blessings...the world has a way of taking us away from God and the spiritual path, in case anyone has not noticed)

and to the doubters, let me quote from the movie, "Saint Bernadette": "To those who believe, no proof is needed. To those who do not believe, no proof is possible."

Jai Master, bryon
Bryon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
triguybos

So you saw Saint Bernadette at HV, too, Byron? I saw it during Kriya Week there. I felt for her.

If I may reinforce your quote to the "haters" out there, "faith is the proof of things unseen." From the good ol' Bible, I believe.

As each day comes and goes, the more I am convinced that things WILL work out and that He is looking out for each of us, devotees or not. We each have but to let go after being all we can be and doing the best we can in the given circumstance. I've observationally and analytically tested this conviction on myself and my family... like Bro. Anandamoy likes to say, "it's like mathematics, it cannot fail!" And what I've learned is that while my consciousness is not yet in tune with the Cosmic Consciousness, the Big Guy upstairs nevertheless guides us using physical world clues and signs. All we gotta do is to "listen" to them. Meditation undoubtedly helps with the active listening. Yet even when not meditating, which is most of our waking hours, it just requires one to detach and step back from the moment of seeming crisis and let it go and go with the flow. Easy to say, hard to actually do (all the time).
triguybos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
Dave

What I meant was that sometimes I hear a faint voice that sounds like it is PY saying things like "don't do that". For example, I meditated for the first time in about 3 years last week lying down on my bed and I thought I heard or felt his voice saying that I should have sat down on my chair to meditate.

It is at once very clear and at the same time faint. No doubt because I was lying in bed I had the tendency to drop off into a semi sleep state which probably explains it. But then again how am I to know whether this isn't my subconscious? I don't value certainty in experiences like this as it smacks of conceit.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
Bryon777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
What I meant was that sometimes I hear a faint voice that sounds like it is PY saying things like "don't do that". For example, I meditated for the first time in about 3 years last week lying down on my bed and I thought I heard or felt his voice saying that I should have sat down on my chair to meditate.

It is at once very clear and at the same time faint. No doubt because I was lying in bed I had the tendency to drop off into a semi sleep state which probably explains it. But then again how am I to know whether this isn't my subconscious? I don't value certainty in experiences like this as it smacks of conceit.
Dave, if you think it is probably your subconscious, it probably is...and I do agree that "spiritual experiences" can be anything but: but if some experience helps us somehow or takes us closer to God, then it IS a spiritual experience even if Babaji didn't materialize a palace for us

I respect your skepticism. Master even has said that if we pray for something and it happens, how do we know it was really an answered prayer? eg: we pray for healing, healing comes, we gasp, God be praised!!..but Master warns, maybe our condition just healed naturally

Jai Guru
Bryon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #9
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon777 View Post
...the world has a way of taking us away from God and the spiritual path, in case anyone has not noticed
Impossible not to notice that!
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
Impossible not to notice that!
I concur. There is a mad motorbiker around here driving around night and day every day all the time. It is impossible to get peace.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #11
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon777 View Post
Dave, if you think it is probably your subconscious, it probably is...and I do agree that "spiritual experiences" can be anything but: but if some experience helps us somehow or takes us closer to God, then it IS a spiritual experience even if Babaji didn't materialize a palace for us

I respect your skepticism. Master even has said that if we pray for something and it happens, how do we know it was really an answered prayer? eg: we pray for healing, healing comes, we gasp, God be praised!!..but Master warns, maybe our condition just healed naturally

Jai Guru
I don't know if it is my subconscious but your analogy of prayer is spot on.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #12
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
I concur. There is a mad motorbiker around here driving around night and day every day all the time. It is impossible to get peace.
Dave, I suggest something concocted by the wisdom of the ancient rishis (reincarnated):

This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #13
Dave

Quote:
Dave, I suggest something concocted by the wisdom of the ancient rishis (reincarnated):

It only works while sitting in a chair unfortunately. Lying down I need earplugs.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:50 AM   #14
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
It only works while sitting in a chair unfortunately. Lying down I need earplugs.
You can even use both at the same time, it constitutes a double barrier to sound waves. I've been able to sleep with cuffs laying the back of the neck on the pillow, face up, like a corpse.
If you don't like to sleep like a corpse and wish to turn on one side you clearly can use only plugs.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:29 AM   #15
Dave

Quote:
you can even use both at the same time, it constitutes a double barrier to sound waves. I've been able to sleep with cuffs laying the back of the neck on the pillow, face up, like a corpse.
If you don't like to sleep like a corpse and wish to turn on one side you clearly can use only plugs.
lol