A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Health, Diet and Recipes

Old 09-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
mccoy
supernal user

Canned beans a delicacy!

I'm starting a thread on a superfood I didn't really know: Canned beans!!!

Actually, it's beans in general but the pros of canned beans, better yet jarred beans (and legumes) is that they are ready, no fuss in cooking them and most often very properly cooked. Of course I'm ruling out those containing sugar and weird dressings.

I was amazed by how beans and legumes have been re evaluated by recent nutrition science, especially the researchers on longevity and the champions of vegetarian and vegan diets.

The 'blue zones' centenarians all eat a significant amount of legumes.
Legumes are a very nourishing food and at the same time are protective against cancer, CV disease, cerebral degeneration and inflammation. they contain lots of fiber and hormetic phytochemicals. They are a superfood which we can buy often with a few pennies.

Canned beans are the staple of Dr Greger, the well known doctor who divulges in an entertaining way the benefist of vegan diet for free (www.nutritionfacts.org).

A few cons: cans may contain BPAs (jars do not) and canned legumes may have an higher glycemic index than those which have been home cooked.

The pros are so many though.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
mccoy
supernal user

An exquisite quick recipe which I tasted yesterday.
Caution, this recipe may be addictive.

Preparation takes 1 minute.
In a bowl, pour extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and ground blak pepper and mix them thoroughly with a fork to obtain something like a vinagrette sauce.
Add one teaspoon of cumin seeds
Add one can, about 10 ounces of navy beans after having drained them.
The cumin is the magic trick here, it matches so well with the beans and the other ingredients that I was tempted to open another can yesterday.

These canned beans together with frozen spinachs or other green leaved veggies can make up a scrumptious meal which may cost costs just one dollar and a few pennies.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
Henrique

Canned beans ??? I would never eat, hehehe. Do not sell beans in natura?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1473170375447.jpg (100.5 KB, 1 views)
Henrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
sheoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
An exquisite quick recipe which I tasted yesterday.
Caution, this recipe may be addictive.

Preparation takes 1 minute.
In a bowl, pour extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and ground blak pepper and mix them thoroughly with a fork to obtain something like a vinagrette sauce.
Add one teaspoon of cumin seeds
Add one can, about 10 ounces of navy beans after having drained them.
The cumin is the magic trick here, it matches so well with the beans and the other ingredients that I was tempted to open another can yesterday.

These canned beans together with frozen spinachs or other green leaved veggies can make up a scrumptious meal which may cost costs just one dollar and a few pennies.
If you add fresh coriander/cilantro, that could add a very nice touch in terms of taste and aroma.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:44 AM   #5
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique View Post
Canned beans ??? I would never eat, hehehe. Do not sell beans in natura?
Of course natural beans are better. They tend to have lower glicaemic index and they are not polluted by PBas (when canned and not jarred, the jarred ones are not polluted).

Nevertheless, they suffer some inherent drawbacks, such as they need time to be cooked, they must be cooked in bulk, they must be drained and saved in teh fridge or freezer. So canned beans, of good quality cooked with only water and possibly salt may be a very advantageous addition to a vegan or vegetarian diet.

And I too once in a while cook natural beans, usually on some weekends.

If you guys have time, natural beans are very much all right!!!
Old 10-07-2017, 01:49 AM   #6
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheoli View Post
If you add fresh coriander/cilantro, that could add a very nice touch in terms of taste and aroma.
I perfectly concur sheoli, Unfortunately here we have no fresh coriander but I use coriander seeds and they are an exquisite addition/addiction!

I'll never understand the need for marijuana, cocaine and other drugs when God gave us such an abundant and cheap availability of natural and healthy substances to ingest. I confess I have become addicted to them. Such an addiction is welcome though in terms of the health and longevity it bestows.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:05 AM   #7
rasa
The it one

Think I'll try some Mexican as part of my "pro-gas" regimen.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:56 AM   #8
mccoy
supernal user

Awesome sight, rasa!

As to the tunes of the musical fruit (the more you eat, the more you toot), it is likely that, after the gut flora adjusts to the specific food, digestion will be optimal and the musical effect will peter out.
Besides, it's always wise to start with small amounts of the musical fruit.

I myself would not have believed that I might eat more than two tablespoonfuls. Now I often eat 10 ounces without big probs.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
mccoy
supernal user

A couple of dishes with canned beans

red plate: spiced spinachs and kidney beans
white palte: beans salad with navy bens, peppers, cherry tomatoes, onions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170917_192913.jpg (189.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20170905_195518.jpg (189.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-08-2017, 06:05 AM   #10
yogagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
Such an addiction is welcome though in terms of the health and longevity it bestows.
And may you outlive us all, McCoy
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:39 AM   #11
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl View Post
And may you outlive us all, McCoy
thanks very much Yoga girl,I may or I may not, I'm doing my best but it really depends on the karmic lottery mainly