A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Open Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #201
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Who said we are all created equal? Ponder your own judgments.
lol, you are funny

Since you started this thread to stir things up, and I guess to refute the SRF teachings, what is the reason for God being seemingly partial to some and cruel to others (in the one life is all theory)?

I can remember even when very young I had a problem with "if you are good you go to heaven, if you're bad hell...FOREVER"...I always thought that sounded like a bad deal, and wondered what was the point in us being here to begin with?

But the one life is it theory is comforting to many....and it does sound like a better option lol....but it doesn't make sense to me.

But perhaps you have doubts, so you are seemingly trying to disprove the SRF teachings.

The thing is Dave, you can't say the SRF teachings and techniques are imaginary, etc to those who have followed the path....you don't have to be a master to feel peace, even joy on occasions etc....and feel and see the Guru's help...

You can try to tell someone that an orange tastes terrible, but if that person has tasted it and you haven't, then your words aren't going to be convincing...they will just be words

Maybe SRF isn't for you, it certainly isn't for everyone at this point, and it's not easy to follow...but it is for me, not all the money in the world would convince me to leave the SRF path.

But I'm not trying to convince or convert you Dave, not my job .....good luck (though I don't believe in luck either)

Last edited by mike1yogi; 11-16-2017 at 06:00 PM.
mike1yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #202
yogagirl

[quote=mike1yogi;74301
Scientific meditation plus devotion allows you to do this, by degrees....and you don't have to be a master to feel peace (which is God) in meditation....and gradually become a calmer, more peaceful person who can give more to others....[/QUOTE]

It may be, though, that meditation is not everyone's cup of tea.

I knew I had never meditated before in a past life, so it took me many years just to learn to do the initial breathing exercises, and even more years to lift my eyes up! What interested me most in the beginning was to have the security of a guru. Even if I wouldn't be able to learn to meditate, I liked the idea of a solemn spiritual promise to become the disciple of Yogananda for eternity, and to always ask for and be allowed to receive the blessings from the avatars of a higher sphere, the greatest Lovers of all time...to be 'saved', really! To be saved from myself, and all the future sufferings I might cause myself. (in this life and future lives, on this sphere and in other spheres!)

Well, I have always been able to say Yogananda's affirmations through my forehead. Just this, without being able to meditate, was enough for me to feel I was connecting to a higher spiritual world, spiritual friends and that I was on a new spiritual journey. Then came Yogananda's prayers which I was surprised to find myself enjoying deeply, too.

What separates SRF from other Christians, is we love Yogananda, we say his prayers and affirmations and we see and understand through his writings.

Every day we say the prayer in which we bow down to God as Father, Mother or Friend, we bow down mentally to Jesus, Krishna, Babaji, Lahiri Mahasaya, Sri Yukteswar, Yogananda and the saints of all religions and ask for God's love to be awakened in our hearts and that we may be able to awaken this love in others' hearts.

Before even doing the meditation techniques and other prayers, this for me is the most fundamental part, as we remind ourselves of our spiritual connections, fill ourselves with gratitude and renew our determination to do our best, in the most humble way possible.

This strongly ressembles other paths, of course, but we don't read the same books as other Christians, and we have our own saints.

Don't know if this is helpful....probably not!!!

In Divine Friendship, (that's another thing we say!)
Yogagirl
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #203
Stream
meds twice daily

Quote:
Are you intent on derailing the topic consistently or something? Hitler has nothing to do with Christianity or SRF.

I'll leave you to it. Happy control issues.

"The darkness of maya is silently approaching. Let us hie homeward within." - Swami Sri Yukteswar
Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #204
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl View Post

I knew I had never meditated before in a past life, so it took me many years just to learn to do the initial breathing exercises, and even more years to lift my eyes up! What interested me most in the beginning was to have the security of a guru. Even if I wouldn't be able to learn to meditate, I liked the idea of a solemn spiritual promise to become the disciple of Yogananda for eternity, and to always ask for and be allowed to receive the blessings from the avatars of a higher sphere, the greatest Lovers of all time...to be 'saved', really! To be saved from myself, and all the future sufferings I might cause myself. (in this life and future lives, on this sphere and in other spheres!)

Well, I have always been able to say Yogananda's affirmations through my forehead. Just this, without being able to meditate, was enough for me to feel I was connecting to a higher spiritual world, spiritual friends and that I was on a new spiritual journey. Then came Yogananda's prayers which I was surprised to find myself enjoying deeply, too.

What separates SRF from other Christians, is we love Yogananda, we say his prayers and affirmations and we see and understand through his writings.

Every day we say the prayer in which we bow down to God as Father, Mother or Friend, we bow down mentally to Jesus, Krishna, Babaji, Lahiri Mahasaya, Sri Yukteswar, Yogananda and the saints of all religions and ask for God's love to be awakened in our hearts and that we may be able to awaken this love in others' hearts.

Before even doing the meditation techniques and other prayers, this for me is the most fundamental part, as we remind ourselves of our spiritual connections, fill ourselves with gratitude and renew our determination to do our best, in the most humble way possible.

This strongly ressembles other paths, of course, but we don't read the same books as other Christians, and we have our own saints.

Yogagirl
Nice post yogagirl

I agree, having Yoganandaji as my guru is very solacing - knowing I can turn to him always, and that he will always help me in some way....Master does say that the personal aspect of devotion is more important than mastery of the science of yoga...

But, meditation is the foundation of the SRF Kriya Yoga path....it says in the very first lesson that you won't receive the help and blessings of the SRF Gurus merely by taking and reading the Lessons...you have to follow the teachings....do your best to do your best, which means doing the SRF meditation techniques regularly.

As Master says, "Always remember,Kriya Yoga plus devotion
- it works like mathematics it cannot fail."

So we must do both - meditation purifies, burns karma, and allows us to receive the blessings of God and the Gurus...

Talking about blessings, in an SRF CD, a YSS swami (forget his name) said Guru's blessings are always there, but if you don't follow the sadhana (Kriya plus devotion) you aren't able to receive.

Yes, meditation didn't seem easy to me either....but Br. Anandamoyji says that you don't start your spiritual search with Kriya...you end it...so you must have meditated in other lives too

EDIT: Just reread your post...yes, you are right, saying Master's prayers and affirmations deeply can be very powerful....when I first started in SRF, I did affirmations more than HS and OM (didn't have kriya yet) because it seemed easier to go deep into it....now I'm trying to establish Japa, saying my mantra, not easy at all...I've been trying on and off for years....Maya is tricky

Last edited by mike1yogi; 11-16-2017 at 07:51 PM.
mike1yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #205
Bakhruddin
Om Nama Shivaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1yogi View Post
Talking about blessings, in an SRF CD, a YSS swami (forget his name) said Guru's blessings are always there, but if you don't follow the sadhana (Kriya plus devotion) you aren't able to receive.
I've always found a saying by Ramakrishna Paramahansa inspiring. He said (in effect) that God's grace, like a great wind, is always blowing (impartially for all), but each of us has to raise our sails to catch it. For me, meditation & Kriya are my sails and the will to do so is driven by my devotion. (One could imagine that raising the sails also refers to raising the Kundalini through the spine to the higher centers of consciousness...)

There is no greater promise (well, maybe one of the greatest) than "Kriya Yoga plus devotion, it works like mathematics, it can not fail." That quote really inspires me in times of self-doubt.

In an earlier comment about Bro. Achlananda regarding Alexander the Great. I don't know if Bro is a realized master but as a close and faithful disciple to Master for 50+ years, I am content to believe him.
Bakhruddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #206
kabbalah

yogananda mostly taught me how to meditate and pray more effectively. At the time of reading autobiography of a Yogi I was already intimately familiar with the Bible and scripture . I found much of what yogananda talked about to be very similar to Kabbalistic teachings I had read about. My general view on the Scriptures changed very little but I learned from yogananda how to pray and love God more effectively and go to deeper meditation. Yogananda did make me ponder reincarnation a great deal but I see that more speculative theology rather than a practical approach to devotion or meditation

Regarding the previous point about men's groups and issues with sex, if SRF has similar things they are not widespread or found near where I live nor are very many SRF centers. If srf is similar to other yoga meditation groups that lean towards the left then those groups generally do not have such types of men's groups

Regarding reincarnation, many people do not seem to want to be reincarnated again

Regarding John the Baptist, he said he was not Elijah but that was just consistent with him being very modest as Jesus said he was Elijah that has come

In some ways I think the concept of hell is like a father who says to a child who is not behaving is going to be punished but if that child then start to behave the father does not punish him. Since the father said he was going to punish him and didn't you could say he was lying but there's nothing really wrong with that.

Sri yukteswar told kumar it was too late for him to be healed since he had lived a wild lifestyle but he was just testing him. You could say yukteswar was lying but it is the same as the other point I was trying to make
kabbalah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #207
Always God

I remember Bro. Anandamoy saying that Hell was simply a reflection of karma. He said that God is pure love and inasmuch could not create hell. Much of the Christian teaching is an externalization of the inner process - exoteric versus the esoteric.
Always God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #208
kabbalah

Quote:
The only source I have seen that says that the Jews believed in reincarnation is some obscure German article. It doesn't appear to be a Jewish belief at all.
I have read and been exposed to much on Jewish mysticism from years ago. Reincarnation is mentioned as are many abstract concepts. The degree of abstraction, profundity, and genius is very remarkable but at the same time controversial. I see no strong parallel in any ancient pagan religions or greek philosophy. Jewish mysticism has also profoundly influenced free masonic groups and others, however when it breaks off and introduces it's own non Jewish flavor to it, the orthodox rabbis do not recognize it. This is a deep and difficult topic that can not be resolved but there seems clearly to me that there must have been ancient schools of mystics who where secretive in their teachings that has influenced the whole thing. I see no other way to explain it and the scholastic generally have no concept of mysticism either. I don't think that the ancients however where exactly the same as the moderns in all ways. At any rate I see no evidence from my understanding of the topic where Jews adopted kabbalistic concepts from any pagans 2000 years ago nor can I hardly imagine such based on my perception of the profundity of the topics covered by jewish mysticism.

Quote:
when I brought up the Gnostic Gospels as a connection between original mystical Christianity, as taught by Jesus Christ and the SRF teachings,
the response was exactly the same as your response to the same subject. That response was,
that the Gnostic Gospels were at best nonsense written much later than the texts in the Bible, and were not even worth discussing.

You seem more convinced by the text in the Christian Bible than you are about the text in the SRF teachings. This is
clear as you repeatedly defend the text of the Bible over and over again with many posters here.

At the same time, you dismiss the text in the SRF publications concerning the Gnostic Gospels and Jesus in
Tibet or India, both of which SRF endorses, by saying that the Gnostic Gospels are nonsense,
and that the stories on Jesus traveling to Tibet or India have been debunked.
Maye SRF should consult with you on these subjects, since you know better.
I have read some of the gnostic gospels. I find no inspiration in them and some of them seem to be obscene in a few places.
The book of enoch I believe is entirely something else and is divinely inspired however. The story of a bloodline through Mary seems
to be the invention of some elite connected occult group.

The story that jesus lived in Kashmir does seem to have something to it, but the muslim story that jesus
survived the crucifiction and is buried in India I no longer believe though at one time I considered it.

I do not believe the book of mormon to be a true scripture either. I can not find a single paragraph in that book that
I would meditate on. There is more inspiration in the koran than that book.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:23 AM   #209
kabbalah

If SRF endorses the gnostic gospels, I don't know about that; there seems to be some weird stuff in there. It's like some kind of new age types from back in those days. If I had ever met yogananda, perhaps that would be one of the questions I would have to ask him more deeply about as some topics he touched very lightly on and there seems to not be clarity. I don't know that he ever mentioned the gnostic gospels or if they where discovered much later anyway.

Also, about SRF ..

I talked to some SRF people on the phone, I could not vouch that I meditate 1/2 ever day unfailingly so for them there was no point in getting kriya initiation at some ceremony. Sometimes if I come home and am stressed or tired I can't even meditate for 2 or 3 days. Other times I can meditate an hour a day. I can't do the energy excersizes all the time either .. I had been doing kung fu and tai chi years before I read AY. I spent a lot of money learning martial arts forms and try to keep up with tha, though I am a mediocre student of martial arts and not as dedicated as many. There are some hatha yoga studios around here and I go to those for excersize in the winter. I can't always get motivated to sit home by myself and practice SRF energy exercises. My approach is a bit unorthodox but it's sometimes all I can do
Old 11-17-2017, 02:13 AM   #210
simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl View Post

Yogagirl
Agree with Mike. This is such a touching and deep post. It is deep in its simplicity. And your approach of the spiritual path is so humble.

Occasionally, I want to skip the prayer before the meditation, though I don't actually skip them, but the desire to just launch into the meditation is there. And your explanation of the prayer before meditation is a very helpful perspective for me to adopt. Also, I really have struggled to understand Guruji's favourite prayer, "may thy love shine forever upon the sanctuary...." perhaps mostly due to over-familiarization with it that it has become more of a parroting exercise, and I loved how you interpreted it so beautifully and simply.

Thank you!
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #211
khitomer

Meditation is nobody's cup of tea. At least not until the 'occult soldier general' emerges from the superconscious and begins to guide the ego. But that only comes through persevering in meditation. Fighting physical and mental restlessness is a battle of attrition, and a vast number of people, who are drawn to SRF teachings, never make any headway because of losing the battle against unwillingness to meditate, which Master called Satan's greatest form of delusion.

If we didnt need to sleep, none of us would want to. So many things to constantly do, think about or want. Sense addiction is the defining principle of the human condition.

This is one of the best things about kriya. You have something simple yet infinitely profound to do while sitting to meditate. And the effects can be so pronounced that the struggle against restlessness can actually be won relatively easily with kriya.

Last edited by khitomer; 11-17-2017 at 10:00 AM.
khitomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:52 AM   #212
kabbalah

One of my constant prayers is that the lord would give me wisdom regarding politics and religion

If I just do kriya without praying I sometimes can have negative experiences and end up stopping. I don't always feel motivated to pray a lot right at the start although a couple years ago I did quite a bit of praying and less pranayama

I have a sense of the person and teaching of Jesus from years of studying the Bible and going to different churches. I was also influenced by a book that emphasizes using the name of Jesus for exorcism types of things. I was taught by Christians at certain churches that I should consider Jesus to be God and to pray to him which previously I was not used to even though I had studied the Bible for many years without attending church before that. It took me quite a while to get used to the idea of Jesus being God. All this was before I had read autobiography of a Yogi. I eventually stopped going to that church because I felt like I didn't quite fit in

To me Krishna represents the Hindu religion which seems very vast and complicated but interesting and represents meditation. Babaji is supposed to be Krishna but is a mysterious figure. Mostly I am familiar with Krishna from the Bhagavad-Gita which is not a very large book. But the Vedas seem vast and large and I have not read them although many gurus obviously speak from that perspective taught in the Vedas

Buddha is a more intellectual in someways but interesting and some Buddhist meditation is very useful depending

Yogananda is important to me for how to pray and meditate and lived in modern times which in some ways may make him easier to relate to. I sometimes pray for wisdom regarding the SRF gurus including yogananda. I have had several dreams of meeting yogananda and talking to him. I have not had these dreams recently but I often feel his presence is there

Last edited by kabbalah; 11-18-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #213
Bakhruddin
Om Nama Shivaya

Surely, each one of us follows our own, unique path back to and builds a special and personal relationship with God. As the masters say, each is equally dear to the Lord.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #214
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakhruddin View Post
Surely, each one of us follows our own, unique path back to and builds a special and personal relationship with God. As the masters say, each is equally dear to the Lord.
So you opt for non-objectivity?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #215
kabbalah

Having been around that particular church for quite a while I did start praying to Jesus. I prayed to Jesus to take away my headache that I had a couple of times and it did go away.

My friend had a headache once so I placed my hand on her head and I said "I cast out this headache in the name of Jesus" and she said she felt better. Before I did that however I asked her if she wanted me to

I was camping on the beach in North Carolina 20 years ago. It was raining so I went to Christian bookstore and ended up buying a book on exorcisms
Old 11-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #216
Bakhruddin
Om Nama Shivaya

Quote:
So you opt for non-objectivity?
Dave, I'm not sure if I understand your comment. Do you mean by 'objectivity' a formal yoga or practice of meditation techniques, etc.?

(These are only my opinions, nothing more...) If so, I am reminded of a statement that Master made that one could be perfected in performance of the whole science of yoga, yet, if devoid of devotion, he/she will not reach ultimate God-realization.

It is my understanding that each one of us has a unique relationship with God based upon our individual karma, personalities, habits and experiences. Master said that Kriya is the airplane route back to God, but not the only path (or meditation technique or yoga - my interpertation).

I recall reading in the book Mejda a dissertation his brother recorded where Master said that it is only through "great good karma" that one is blessed to receive a high spiritual technique such as Kriya. It was also recorded that he said that a Kriya yogi could reach liberation in three incarnations. In writings elsewhere it was said that, with supreme spiritual effort (and probably previous lifetimes of meditation) it was possible to realize God in one lifetime. (I assume that means one's current incarnation.)

But, whatever path or technique one pursues, if it is lacking in devotion it will be missing a critical quality that is needed to coax God to respond to the devotees call.

Wasn't there a student that bragged he had done a million Kriyas? Master's comment was (in effect, because this man was lacking humility and true devtion) that he will reach the door, but won't be able to pass through.

Progress in our spiritual growth is partially dependent upon how well we attune ourselves to the will of God and Guru. That means, to me, how diligently I attempt to faithfully apply the teachings of the guru will determine the effectiveness of the teachings in my life. The more I stray, the slower my progress. I personally believe that Master has given his disciples everything they need to reach enlightenment. If I start to dabble or mix into my spiritual disciplines other teachings or techniques then, at the very least, some of my energies are being side tracked away from my chosen path. So, I believe that following a formal path, with devotion, is critically important.

How do I know that my chosen path is not meant to include other teachings? I think that is something that each of us, individually, comes to an inner realization about. When I willingly took Kriya initiation, I understood that I was making a commitment to both God and Guru that I was accepting Master's help and guidance, and that I was willingly putting my spiritual life into his hands. Had I felt that I still needed more than what Master offered, then I had no business agreeing to forming the Guru / disciple relationship with him. This bond forms a responsibility between both Guru and disciple to be loyal and faithful to each other.

I don't think it is wrong to glean wisdom from many authentic sources, but one has to be careful not to become distracted by other teachings after they have made a commitment to one particular Guru/Disciple relationship, either. If someone feels a need to investigate other teachings, then I suspect that they are really not yet ready to commit to one specific path. There is nothing wrong with that. We all searched many different theologies and teachings at one point or another in our spiritual search as a preliminary step towards being drawn to the feet of a true Guru (whether that be Yogananda, Jesus, Buddha, Ramakrishna Paramahansa...) and his path. (This is an expression of the belief that God draws us to a divine teacher as an answer to our soul's call for reunion with Him.)

I'm afraid that I deviated in my answer and certainly hope that I have not misunderstood you question. Sorry if I did!

Last edited by Bakhruddin; 11-18-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:11 AM   #217
kabbalah

Quote:
Dave, I'm not sure if I understand your comment. Do you mean by 'objectivity' a formal yoga or practice of meditation techniques, etc.?

(These are only my opinions, nothing more...) If so, I am reminded of a statement that Master made that one could be perfected in performance of the whole science of yoga, yet, if devoid of devotion, he/she will not reach ultimate God-realization.

It is my understanding that each one of us has a unique relationship with God based upon our individual karma, personalities, habits and experiences. Master said that Kriya is the airplane route back to God, but not the only path (or meditation technique or yoga - my interpertation).

I recall reading in the book Mejda a dissertation his brother recorded where Master said that it is only through "great good karma" that one is blessed to receive a high spiritual technique such as Kriya. It was also recorded that he said that a Kriya yogi could reach liberation in three incarnations. In writings elsewhere it was said that, with supreme spiritual effort (and probably previous lifetimes of meditation) it was possible to realize God in one lifetime. (I assume that means one's current incarnation.)

But, whatever path or technique one pursues, if it is lacking in devotion it will be missing a critical quality that is needed to coax God to respond to the devotees call.

Wasn't there a student that bragged he had done a million Kriyas? Master's comment was (in effect, because this man was lacking humility and true devtion) that he will reach the door, but won't be able to pass through.

Progress in our spiritual growth is partially dependent upon how well we attune ourselves to the will of God and Guru. That means, to me, how diligently I attempt to faithfully apply the teachings of the guru will determine the effectiveness of the teachings in my life. The more I stray, the slower my progress. I personally believe that Master has given his disciples everything they need to reach enlightenment. If I start to dabble or mix into my spiritual disciplines other teachings or techniques then, at the very least, some of my energies are being side tracked away from my chosen path. So, I believe that following a formal path, with devotion, is critically important.

How do I know that my chosen path is not meant to include other teachings? I think that is something that each of us, individually, comes to an inner realization about. When I willingly took Kriya initiation, I understood that I was making a commitment to both God and Guru that I was accepting Master's help and guidance, and that I was willingly putting my spiritual life into his hands. Had I felt that I still needed more than what Master offered, then I had no business agreeing to forming the Guru / disciple relationship with him. This bond forms a responsibility between both Guru and disciple to be loyal and faithful to each other.

I don't think it is wrong to glean wisdom from many authentic sources, but one has to be careful not to become distracted by other teachings after they have made a commitment to one particular Guru/Disciple relationship, either. If someone feels a need to investigate other teachings, then I suspect that they are really not yet ready to commit to one specific path. There is nothing wrong with that. We all searched many different theologies and teachings at one point or another in our spiritual search as a preliminary step towards being drawn to the feet of a true Guru (whether that be Yogananda, Jesus, Buddha, Ramakrishna Paramahansa...) and his path. (This is an expression of the belief that God draws us to a divine teacher as an answer to our soul's call for reunion with Him.)

I'm afraid that I deviated in my answer and certainly hope that I have not misunderstood you question. Sorry if I did!
That seems to be a very common concept that people should stick to one path. It reminds me of how I was influenced by the bhagavad gita and was studying that but was also going to church. I found my Gita studies where causing friction with people at the church if I mentioned it so I stopped studying the Gita at that time because I was trying to connect with those people. I found it difficult at the time not to mention things I had pondered or had been reading about

What I really think is that people are naturally dogmatic to some extent, but there is good dogma and negative dogma. It's just the way the human mind works, perhaps in elevated states of meditative awareness that may change slightly. I don't think that people who claim to have no dogma and subscribe to atheism or something actually have no dogma because there is dogma in atheism too.

I don't feel I follow different paths out of just curiosity or for no reason. When I was meditating on the Bodhisattvas way of life, an ancient buddhist scripture it was helping me immensely to cope with stress and frustration I was experiencing at my job at that time.

I find that buddhist meditation and mantra meditation is more grounded and sometimes easier to do if you do not feel spontaneous or are having other challenges. Kriya is more abstract, prayer is more spontaneous. I am not always feeling spontaneous I guess.

For me, I have bounced around to different churches because I only seem to be able to connect halfway with those people. I often feel comfortable showing up to a church or bible study every month or in the winter. If I go too often I feel I become more aware of my differences politically or otherwise but if I do not go at all I feel like I get stuck in my own rut.

I was not able to make this kriya commitment that I would meditate every single day for half an hour, and SRF centers are not near me either. That does not mean I don't mediate fairly often, on weekends, vacations or when things are less hectic. If I go for a walk in the woods that also may be like meditation as I walk along peacefully and think about many things but it may not be kriya. I do such walks a great deal. I need the exercise and fresh air. If I do not do that, I often do not sleep well.

I also explained to the SRF people on the phone: I have been doing kung fu and tai chi for 20 years. Martial arts are good for your health, are interesting, and good for self defense. if I go to the kung fu studio it is easier to exercise as part of a group that sitting at my house doing energization exercises. No one has explained to me how the energy exercises are any different than martial arts, chi kung etc. Those are health systems that move and engage many parts of the body and can activate chakra energy as well. I have known my kung fu teacher for 20 years. He grew up in China town and has been in prestigious magazines. It is not easy for me to just let stuff like that go even though compared to most I am a mediocre martial arts student at best because I am not that dedicated, but I understand the spiritual side of martial arts better than many

Lately I have been going to one of those hatha yoga places. It being winter and it is cold outside, it is nice to do some indoor stretching. There is a place 5 minutes from my house that has classes all the time and I can just drop in whenever I feel like it. I can't always easily get to the martial arts studio as it is a good 40 minute drive or so. It's easier to get motivated to do hatha yoga in a class than at home by myself. I need stuff like that, I have had problems with stiffness that has effected my guitar playing

I also tend to look at things in terms of liberal or conservative. I feel like I am connected to the center and I pray about that. If some group seems to be more left or more right, it seems likely that I may not be able to connect 100% with that. People on the left sometimes think I am on the right but I feel I am in the center.

I have Autobiography of a Yogi on my Ipod, I often do not easily fall asleep or sleep well so I listen to things like that at night. It can inspire me and make me feel at ease. However, it seems like after I have listened to AOY and other yogananda audio books zillions of times I need to listen to other things because I can't always keep listening to the same stuff over and over. I have listened a great deal to the bible, swami rama, the dalai lama, yoga and christian podcasts and similar things.

I also sometimes buy books thinking maybe I will read them on vacation. I had some swami rama books that I read. My camp up in the woods is a very lonely place though quiet. Sometimes at night it gets to feel a little too lonely. I found however while I was reading the swami rama book my mind was focused on the book and I did not feel alone. Swami rama also inspires me to meditate because he spent much time meditating

I had the same experience on surf trips to Nova Scotia. I camped way out in the woods and there where few other campers at the camp ground. There where bears around and at night I felt lonely but when I played audio tapes of the bible on my tape player I did not feel alone.

Last edited by kabbalah; 11-19-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:51 AM   #218
sulmonte

Kabbalah, you are a long time member of the board - certainly on a spiritual quest. Interesting life description - much strength, courage and looking for challenges. We all have our own pace on the path. Sounds very much like past lives in the Himalaya. Just follow the divine guidance. OM
sulmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:55 AM   #219
khitomer

Quote:
"If it were not for the Church, Jesus would be at the mercy of your imagination."

~ Pope Francis

The same can be said of SRF regarding Jesus, and it is even more pertinent because SRF has the 'inside stuff' on what He really teaches.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #220
Dave

Kabbalah, I think it is good to go out to different churches if you feel you need company and upliftment. I would be put off by it personally due to dogma and political affiliations. The trouble with staying indoors or by yourself is that it is possible to become idle or lazy and fall into bad habits. That has been my problem.

You mentioned feeling stiffness from playing guitar. I think I have this as well. Sometimes I want to play fast stuff and find it takes a lot of practice to get up to speed. I wonder what the cause of this stiffness is though. Is it just getting old?

It would be better if people had in home SRF meetings and these were advertised somewhere. I'm sure there's probably a lot more people into SRF out there than the official figures would show. Then of course, there are meditation groups.

Are you married?

By the way, I notice you type where when you mean were. I got into the habit of doing this too for awhile without realising it.

One of the biggest differences, it seems to me, between SRF and Christianity in general is that the former reaches for states of consciousness that are almost infinitely greater. It talks about cosmic and Christ consciousness. Christians talk more about the Holy Spirit and how it leads them and communicates with them.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #221
Bakhruddin
Om Nama Shivaya

Kabbalah, a good friend of mine who is also an SRF member has put it nicely. He and I are about the same age, both of us are retired and have been on the spiritual path for many years. He told me once that the best thing we on the (any spiritual) path can do is relax and not stress out over how perfectly we are following, or over the seeming lack of progress that we are making. Stress and worry, next to indifference, are our biggest enemies.

Curiosity about spiritual things is normal, I think, for all of us. I, too, have read other spiritual biographies and discourses and found most of them to be rewarding in one way or another. For example, I recently read a book by a Sufi about his interpretations of the Quran that was inspiring.

I feel that most all of us are seekers, and will continue to seek truth wherever we can find it until the ultimate realization becomes our own. It is likely that the more we glean intuitively of the Divine in our prayers and meditations, the less outward searching will be required.

Master said (repeating what is in the Bhagavad Gita) that those seeking God are very rare. That is true no matter what formal or informal path we are following. We are, therefore, all equal spiritual brothers and sisters no matter our individual path.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #222
kabbalah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulmonte View Post
Kabbalah, you are a long time member of the board - certainly on a spiritual quest. Interesting life description - much strength, courage and looking for challenges. We all have our own pace on the path. Sounds very much like past lives in the Himalaya. Just follow the divine guidance. OM
Thanks Sulmonte, I don't remember any past lives, reincarnation makes sense in certain ways. I do think about it and my friend asks me questions about who was who in past lives. I really don't know the answers. I pray for faith in the after life, but that includes anything other than the belief that nothing happens after you die. That believe seems very common and people try to explain away near death experiences.

Swami rama says the himalayas easily inspire meditation. I think mountains and deserts where there are less bugs may have that effect but the mountains are very beautiful

Quote:
Kabbalah, I think it is good to go out to different churches if you feel you need company and upliftment. I would be put off by it personally due to dogma and political affiliations. The trouble with staying indoors or by yourself is that it is possible to become idle or lazy and fall into bad habits. That has been my problem.
I go to a Jews for Jesus temple, they tend to be less dogmatic in some ways though a very small congregation. I go there infrequently. I am not sure there is such a thing as complete non dogma, liberals have their own dogmas even if it expressed differently.

Quote:
You mentioned feeling stiffness from playing guitar. I think I have this as well. Sometimes I want to play fast stuff and find it takes a lot of practice to get up to speed. I wonder what the cause of this stiffness is though. Is it just getting old?
I stopped practicing scales or practicing with a metronome. I found that I wanted to play faster but some of my favorite guitarists are not shredders. In fact I have come around to realizing I don't like all of the shredders as much as I thought I just thought playing fast was something to strive for, some I do like a great deal though. I used to see Nuno Bettencourt play with Extreme at clubs around here before they ever had a record deal. I met him at the music store before he was ever in Extreme. I used to like to go to clubs more than big concerts. After Extreme got signed and started playing bigger places I never went to see them anymore.

Playing fast does not help with improvisation either. I now use a Boss BR 80 which has great rythm tracks to jam with.

I like to jam with blues CDs such as albert collins, his songs are almost like rythm sections. I also try to take a lot of breaks when practicing and do other things, gardening, walking, meditation, books ..

Quote:
Are you married?
No, my ability to maintain serious relationships seems a bit lacking but I had tried before. I am always open to possibilities but have my doubts. I live 15 minutes from my mother's house and am over there for dinner quite a bit and spend time with her. If she passed away I am not sure what direction things would go. It's possible I would probably try to hang out and socialize with women more or go to church more I don't know. I do have a woman friend and we go out to dinner 2 or 3 times a week.

Quote:
One of the biggest differences, it seems to me, between SRF and Christianity in general is that the former reaches for states of consciousness that are almost infinitely greater. It talks about cosmic and Christ consciousness. Christians talk more about the Holy Spirit and how it leads them and communicates with them.
Yes, but I also need grounding, if I just did kriya with no prayer or mantras, pretty soon I may start to imagine ghosts and all kinds of odd things like dragons or someone strange is in the room even though I am alone. I like parts of the bible, lately I have been listening to the book of revelations on my IPod a lot but I start with Jude. I have also found psalms can be powerful but it depends on my state of mind and what I am going through. I had a book on Jewish spiritual practices that emphasized memorizing certain palms and using those for prayers
Old 11-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #223
Dave

That's kind of crazy you knew Nuno Bettencourt. He isn't just good at shredding he is insanely talented on acoustic guitar too. It bugs me sometimes when the pro players get through an entire song without mistakes.

Haha, I have a Boss BR 80 too! I bought it a few months ago. It's pretty neat. Although the guitar tones suck a bit. I'm used to more heavy duty tones that I get from my Line 6 Spider V. I was into recording tracks earlier this year and sometimes used some computer music software called BIAS. BIAS allows you to sound match tones from famous records. It is beyond believable.

I find the blues and sometimes Jazz songs to be quite bland to be honest. It's ok to muck around with now and again, for me. I like Gary Moore's stuff.

I think a lot of people these days find themselves still living with or near to their parents homes. Homes are just not affordable much as they used to be. I'm in the process of moving out and expect to be independent soon. I feel sorry for the younger kids these days.

Have you felt the presence of the Holy Spirit then? I never felt God in any way after 15 years in SRF. Ironically, after I stopped meditating I felt the Holy Spirit come to me. It is really quite a distinct thing.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #224
kabbalah

Quote:
That's kind of crazy you knew Nuno Bettencourt. He isn't just good at shredding he is insanely talented on acoustic guitar too. It bugs me sometimes when the pro players get through an entire song without mistakes.
I didn't know him, I could have tried to meet him when he was at small clubs but I never did. I heard him play at the music store probably in the early 80's and asked him if he wanted to jam sometime but he was in a band. He grew up in the town next to where I live, I have jammed with cousins of his who play drums.

Some people point out that hendrix and jimmy page where actually sloppy players if you just look at their technique but yea I have compared myself to others and felt unhappy about it at times

Quote:
Haha, I have a Boss BR 80 too! I bought it a few months ago. It's pretty neat. Although the guitar tones suck a bit. I'm used to more heavy duty tones that I get from my Line 6 Spider V. I was into recording tracks earlier this year and sometimes used some computer music software called BIAS. BIAS allows you to sound match tones from famous records. It is beyond believable.
I may try to get some effects that George Lynch uses but I don't use much effects.

I run the output of the BR-80 into a powered cab that has 2 10" speakers.
It's petty loud that way but I wish it was a little louder. I jam along with the BR-80 and practice with a EVH 15 watt amp that can be either super loud or not loud but it has good distortion at low volumes. It is a nice amp and can be used to play at clubs but it lacks the tone of a marshal. It is a great practice amp and spare amp as it is very small

Quote:
I find the blues and sometimes Jazz songs to be quite bland to be honest. It's ok to muck around with now and again, for me. I like Gary Moore's stuff.
I like Johnny Winter style, Pat Travers, or various people. I am listening to some hendrix and cactus

Quote:
I think a lot of people these days find themselves still living with or near to their parents homes. Homes are just not affordable much as they used to be. I'm in the process of moving out and expect to be independent soon. I feel sorry for the younger kids these days.
I bought a small house that needs work. I wanted to have a garden and learn about growing stuff

Quote:
Have you felt the presence of the Holy Spirit then? I never felt God in any way after 15 years in SRF. Ironically, after I stopped meditating I felt the Holy Spirit come to me. It is really quite a distinct thing.
I guess the holy spirit is kind of an expanded feeling of peace or positivity or a kind of awareness separate from or outside your body. I was at a church standing up there with the minister and he touched me and said he felt the holy spirit with me. I felt something intense like that recently also. I have never claimed to know exactly what that is or how to define it. I try to meditate or pray to lose negative feelings or states of mind. Sometimes I feel frustration, irritation, anxiety, self doubts etc so I try to deal with that with different types of meditation.

When I read about the holy spirit in the bible, I was never exactly sure what was going on or why there was no precise explanation given often
Old 11-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #225
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbalah View Post

I guess the holy spirit is kind of an expanded feeling of peace or positivity or a kind of awareness separate from or outside your body. I was at a church standing up there with the minister and he touched me and said he felt the holy spirit with me. I felt something intense like that recently also. I have never claimed to know exactly what that is or how to define it. I try to meditate or pray to lose negative feelings or states of mind. Sometimes I feel frustration, irritation, anxiety, self doubts etc so I try to deal with that with different types of meditation.

When I read about the holy spirit in the bible, I was never exactly sure what was going on or why there was no precise explanation given often
No, the Holy Spirit is not really those things, certainly not an OBE.

The Bible says a lot about the Holy Spirit actually.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #226
khitomer

Talking

Quote:
"I guess the holy spirit is kind of an expanded feeling of peace or positivity or a kind of awareness separate from or outside your body. I was at a church standing up there with the minister and he touched me and said he felt the holy spirit with me. I felt something intense like that recently also. I have never claimed to know exactly what that is or how to define it. I try to meditate or pray to lose negative feelings or states of mind. Sometimes I feel frustration, irritation, anxiety, self doubts etc so I try to deal with that with different types of meditation.

When I read about the holy spirit in the bible, I was never exactly sure what was going on or why there was no precise explanation given often"

There you go. You have officially been refuted by the resident Doctor of Divinity.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #227
kabbalah

Quote:

It says to test the spirits in conjunction with the scriptures and goes in the day of Pentecost. I didn't always feel there was a lot of details in some cases. Maybe it is not always the same
Old 11-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #228
kabbalah

When I think about it, I probably could define the holy spirit at least to a good extent. You can go to a lot of churches however and no one will ever talk about or mention such things. I think when I was younger I didn't really understand what it was about or I felt like I was not getting enough of an idea from the scriptures.

One problem that occurs to me is if you claim to know what the holy spirit is or to have experienced it, all sorts of people both religious and non religious are going to attack and criticize you. I recall one guy who implied that if you claim to have communed with god then you claim to be all knowing since god is all knowing. I don't think that is true but the arguments and debates around religion and politics at times can get perplexing or tiresome. For those reasons I may feel hesitant to talk about such things but I supposed it doesn't mean that you are never going to talk about it but it may depend on the circumstances.

Sometimes debating such things can actually create self doubts in your mind because you are trying to convince people who don't want to be convinced and yet you don't want to always be anti social and avoid every person who is not religious. I think in AOY a man created some doubts in yoganandas mind so he prayed about it and then a sadhu appeared and told him to not listen to that man

Quote:
I have a Gary Moore CD someplace, he's good .. Alot of Rock Playes are very blues influenced such as Guns and Roses, Aerosmith. I like the Alman Brothers too and Government Mule. You can watch some shreders on youtube and be amazed but then find some bluesy players and be amazed just as much ..

This is a video of Slash playing with BB king, I thought parts of it was kind of funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L6sGd0R6FI

Last edited by kabbalah; 11-19-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #229
Dave

Quote:
It says to test the spirits in conjunction with the scriptures and goes in the day of Pentecost. I didn't always feel there was a lot of details in some cases. Maybe it is not always the same
There's more that mentions regeneration, sanctification, justification and so on. These terms mean probably nothing to a normal reading of the text but to a person that experiences the holy spirit they take on a living meaning that I find hard to explain.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #230
Dave

Quote:
When I think about it, I probably could define the holy spirit at least to a good extent. You can go to a lot of churches however and no one will ever talk about or mention such things. I think when I was younger I didn't really understand what it was about or I felt like I was not getting enough of an idea from the scriptures.

One problem that occurs to me is if you claim to know what the holy spirit is or to have experienced it, all sorts of people both religious and non religious are going to attack and criticize you. I recall one guy who implied that if you claim to have communed with god then you claim to be all knowing since god is all knowing. I don't think that is true but the arguments and debates around religion and politics at times can get perplexing or tiresome. For those reasons I may feel hesitant to talk about such things but I supposed it doesn't mean that you are never going to talk about it but it may depend on the circumstances.

Sometimes debating such things can actually create self doubts in your mind because you are trying to convince people who don't want to be convinced and yet you don't want to always be anti social and avoid every person who is not religious. I think in AOY a man created some doubts in yoganandas mind so he prayed about it and then a sadhu appeared and told him to not listen to that man

I have a Gary Moore CD someplace, he's good .. Alot of Rock Playes are very blues influenced such as Guns and Roses, Aerosmith. I like the Alman Brothers too and Government Mule. You can watch some shreders on youtube and be amazed but then find some bluesy players and be amazed just as much ..

This is a video of Slash playing with BB king, I thought parts of it was kind of funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L6sGd0R6FI
I have found people very willing to talk to me about these things. So maybe you might not have bumped into the right people. I get your point about talking to non-believers. I used to do that a lot but in the end their arrogance and ignorance became a waste of my time.

I sometimes used to think that if someone claimed to experience God they would become omniscient, but it certainly doesn't seem to me to be that way now.

Guns and Roses' music is pretty good on the guitar. It was the first music I learnt to play. Satriani is my favourite.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #231
khitomer

Quote:
One of my constant prayers is that the lord would give me wisdom regarding politics and religion.

God is the original and foremost libertarian. That about sums up politics (and religion).