A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Welcome > About the Board

Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #41
devallaraju

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeearthling View Post
No matter what is said about SRF, it is my firm belief that Yogananda created the SRF/YSS organization to carry on his work on the physical plane and even if he is no longer physically present, he is still in charge. He wouldn’t have expended so much time and energy to set up something so complex and then leave it to fend for itself, possibly weaken, and become misdirected. To think otherwise would be, it appears to me, to underestimate what he really is. He is even more present around us now than before, now that he doesn’t have to maintain his physical form. He’s still here and is aware of what’s going on with SRF, with everyone in it, and with everything else around it.

It’s been said that he already knows who’s to come in the future to run his organization. I have complete trust in what’s going on and what happens. Sure, there will be times when things get rough; we’re all full of our share of maya and karma (even monks and nuns who come and go or stay), which distort our vision of events, and how we think things should go, but Yogananda will always make sure that SRF and whoever is in charge will stay true to his ideals and purpose.

Jai, Guru, Jai
Absolutely true my dear friend nativeearthling. The foundation that Master created by his books, spiritual home lessons and kriya yoga lessons to YSS/SRF students is well enough for millions like us to find GOD. He himself confirmed that in many occassions. There can be no second thought about his divine planning for YSS/SRF. He is uncomparably great against someone here who's trying to judge things by their mean intellect. Master had planned things on a long term more clearly & effectively than it is visible to someone's negative centered perception. His planning was straight from GOD and our order of GURUs.

World is a reflection of our thoughts......... you see it outside what you have in your mind. This fact doesn't need a detailed explanation....everyone know it & accept it. We have to judge ourself and love others...... it's not the reverse.
devallaraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #42
trulyunique

Talking Our understanding could be better.

There is nothing wrong with a monk or nun leaving SRF. It is my believe that being a monk or nun is only right for a small percentage of the population and in no way has anything to do with your level of spiritual advancement. However, I always do get the feeling from people within SRF that its the highest way to go. Not at all! At least not for everyone! (80% leave according to an insider I spoke with.)

Some Vedic texts mention being a righteous householder as a surer way to God. Some say being a monk is the right way. The truth is that finding the way to God is quite difficult and selfishness is a major obstacle. Selfishness can creep up and overwhelm even a monk who is settled into his routine within the walls of the monastery.

If someone can learn to be a good family man, giving all to his family and being of service to everyone, he can actually come closer to the state of God, who is the Father or Mother of us all and gives endlessly to us.

We have two selves: the selfish animal self and the divine eternal immortal self. Do whatever it takes to allow the divine eternal immortal self to be the victor. If that means to leave SRF and make your way in the world, then do that. It's getting out of your comfort zone and staying out, by acting as God would act in your position, that you will gain liberation and eternal life.

Strangely, I have met some ex-monks and nuns who did not after 20 years get this principle though. Most of the ex-monks I know generally do not remain very active in SRF. But some do. Sometimes the message seems to get lost, because most believe the meditation is enough. The meditation is the icing on the cake, I always say. Samadhi is the last step in the 8 fold path. Nothing beats the basics of righteous living. That will get you 90% of the way there. Then the last 10% (Samadhi) will just fall into your hands...

-Jordan
Old 02-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #43
Taylor

hi Jordan. i liked reading what you have to say and would like to comment.
i believe in much of what you had to say. especially about monkhood not being the ideal spiritual vocation for everyone. we all have our paths toward god. some get there faster as a householder, some as a monk. some as a wandering sadhu and so on.

i must say that through my experience with SRF, they have never once given me the impression that they think its the "highest way to go." actually i feel they push more in the other direction if anything. part of Guru's mission, if im not mistaken, is to spread the truth that householders and others living in the world can find salvation and awakening just as those living as monks and nuns. through meditation and Kriya. id like to know what these SRF insiders said to give the impression that they thought becoming a monk is the highest goal. that seems to fly in the face of masters teachings. surely God doesnt want a mass army of monks and nuns populating the world. what kind of lila would that be. no, i thinks its intended we all carry out our particual role, whatever it may be, and play that role for God, all the while trying to remember and reestablish our relationship with Him, through Yoga and meditation and following a true Guru.

i have no doubt so many people dont make it as a lifelong monk. though i question what you mean about righteous living will get you 90% of the way there. many people come on this earth as "righteous", yet never find God. Krishna says in the Gita that the practicing meditation is the highest and most righteous act a man can perform. yes, following moral priciples is essential, and must be constant throughout life in order to attain freedom, but i think that falls secondary to Yoga meditation. i think living morally and righteously is icing on the cake, meditation being the cake, than finally getting to taste the blissful sweetness of it all is the goal. or maybe God is the cake, righteous living is the icing, and meditation is the fork, your tool to taste the blissful sweetness of God. hmm...God as cake...? im not sure what do you think?

your friend taylor
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #44
Greg
Administrator

Good points. I don't know how many people can do it, being a monk. That has to take tremendous dedication. And if that path is not right for you, there is no shame in making a course correction. A lot of householder people seem to think that if someone has become a monk or a renunciant that they are farther along than themselves. I know I used to think that. But then I remember what the Gita says, "The yogi is deemed greater than body-disciplining ascetics, greter even than the followers of the path of wisdom or of the path of action; be thou, O Arjuna, a yogi." Krishna made it clear that one who has a yoga technique is greater than someone of outer renunciation. Living a rightous and moral life will get you far, but I would have to say it's just a start. A moral life only covers the first two steps on the eightfold path, Yama/Niyama, the last step being samadhi. Everything in-between requires a yoga technique to move forward.

_/|\_ "Cut through the chains of agency and perceive the Single Cause!"

Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #45
Taylor

wow! i didnt realize this was an ongoing thread! just read most of it. there are a lot of different opinions going on here,(if i may state the obvious), i like it, very interesting. if i may speak for myself, for thats the only one i can speak for, i have not seen any of the so called cult like characteristics as a few people seem to feel there are. i think many people can be hyper critical of organizations in and of themselves and find faults that may not be there all together just because there looking for such faults. this can be a good thing to a degree if you use it correctly. it helps weed out the truth speakers from the false ones. but this may lead some to be blindly critical if not properly wielded.
i am certainly not infallible in my judgments, and all i can say is that from my perspective, about 99.9% of all i have heard from SRF monks and nuns, have past my test of intuitive reasoning and logic. and there genuineness has also been deemed authentic by my limited intuition. i see no source of logic and reason from those who testify against daya ma, and her spiritual stature.
its fine to find fault in SRF, if you must. but does not the service it renders to the bewildered masses out way its inevitable foibles that any organization will make. also, Master IS still leading SRF. its tough to if not impossible to downplay SRF without downplaying yoganandaji. he did say SRF will last throughout the ages. this could not be if SRF were not bearing the seal of truth and love in carrying out its work. is not that how the catholic church has withstood so many controversies and blunders? blunders that i think we can all agree are FAR worse than anything SRF have may commited.
all this sounded much better in my head before i posted but hey, hope i got some coherent points across. i would say, first and foremost, look at the followers and the the lives they lead. look at the organization and its followers as a whole. dont blame the whole because of a few. sure ive met a few of those in srf who may be a bit nutty, but never mean hearted or hateful, bitter, or over zealous. im proud to say i believe SRF is not comprised of blind believers, but devout spiritual scientists, fully ready to help anybody, and spread there spiritual/scientific discoveries with all they meet. step into a temple, or an SRF ashram. you will in undoubtedly see real joy in the faces you meet. real fellowship. real encouragement. real love for mankind and all its creatures. it is unmistakable. how can anyone oppose that?
Old 02-25-2011, 04:40 AM   #46
mccoy
supernal user

Congratulations to Taylor for a well-formulated opinion
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #47
Taylor

mccoy, i have noticed you have been "congratulatulations-happy, lately. i think its nice, just curious,,, your qwercks intrigue me.. a congratulatory revelation perhaps?
Old 02-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #48
mccoy
supernal user

Congratulations, Taylor, you're dead right, it has been sort of a revelation.
I started congratulating myself then congratulating everyone.
By congratulating everyone I realized I was stressing the positive traits in everyone, and by the power of words-writing I was multiplying the inherent good in those positive traits, modelling the reality to some new spiritual perspective.
Beats the heck out of concentrating on the negative traits.

It was a congratulation-revelation, a congratulation-fixation which is going to go on until the inspiration will cease (or until Shannon will suspend me, I hope she's going to give me the time to congratulate her before that)...
Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #49
Taylor

haha! had a feeling,, good for you mccoy, and congratulations on your revalation! they are not always easy to come by. "onward self realizationist soldier, marching as to congratulate!"
Old 02-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #50
mccoy
supernal user

Taylor, you are welcome to join me into the practice of Congratu Yoga.

Union to God by congratulating oneself and the others.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #51
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakrsna View Post
Mccoy must be mad!
Pal, does it mean you are going to join me??
Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #52
ashok garekar

there is little difference between mad & genius ..
Old 02-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #53
mccoy
supernal user

Mad (yoga) scientist
Old 03-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #54
thisbody

Quote:
Master often told this story, that once he had to share a train seat with a man. As he sat down, he came face-to-face with Warner Oland, the actor, who did not try to conceal his displeasure of sharing his seat and facing a Hindu. Master finally spoke to him, but there was no response. Master said, “Can’t you look more pleasant?" The actor said, “It’s none of your business.” Master replied, “It is too my business, for I have to sit facing you and look at that sour face of yours.”

The actor burst out in laughter. This gave Master the chance he was looking for to help him. He said, “Isn’t it true that everyone has some craziness, those who are a of the same craziness, they are at one with each other, but if different crazy people get together, they find out their craziness. I know your craziness, which is that of acting, but you don’t know my craziness, which is to be crazy about God. Let us make a wager. If you can prove that your craziness is better than my craziness, I will become an actor, but if I can prove to you that my craziness is better then you will have to follow me.”

Master ended by saying that he was “spared from becoming a movie actor.” Mr Oland followed this path and even predicted his death.
thisbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #55
mccoy
supernal user

By the way, since Warner Oland' genetics was the prodcut of a pecular mix of swedish and Russian-Mongol elements, so it's pretty strange he was being intolerant of an Hindu, who was of pure race after all.

Had Yogananda wanted to be rough, he might have told him he it was strange he was showing displeasure for sharing a seat with a pure-breed Hindu, whereas he was of a mixed breed.

Johan Verner Ölund aka Warner Oland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Oland
Old 08-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #56
EntityX
Brain User

I just read post # 59 with the story where Master meets a movie actor on a train. That's in the SRF Lessons but I always wondered who the actor was until now. I hadn't ever heard of Warner Oland until visiting this site. I thought it might have been a more well known actor than Warner Oland but no doubt Warner Oland was more well known back when Master met him since Oland passed away in 1938 it would have been some time before that.

"You may try many ways to find God, but He will elude you until you pour forth great love to Him from your heart." SRF Lesson 78/1 p. 1

"Every sorrow and hurt has brought me closer to God." SRF Magazine

"I can teach you how to be perpetually interested in being ever newly happy." Man's Eternal Quest p. 325

Last edited by EntityX; 08-02-2011 at 12:21 AM.
EntityX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #57
rasa
The it one

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntityX View Post
I just read post # 59 with the story where Master meets a movie actor on a train. That's in the SRF Lessons but I always wondered who the actor was until now. I hadn't ever heard of Warner Oland until visiting this site. I thought it might have been a more will known actor than Warner Oland but no doubt Warner Oland was more well known back when Master met him since Oland passed away in 1938 it would have been some time before that.
Interesting story.. yep, Warner Oland was big once. You can try a google image search 'Charlie Chan'.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #58
mccoy
supernal user

Doctor Fu-Manchu

Tells nothing today but even back in the 60's when I was a kid that character was still around a little
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #59
Adhikari
आत्मन्

Its ironic that Warner Oland was disturbed by a person from India, when his career was made playing an Asian. Then again, it suggests an undertone of racism that they wouldn't have an Asian play an Asian.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #60
Adhikari
आत्मन्

Warner Oland

I want to say something nice about Warner Oland. He underwent a real change of heart. This may be an exaggeration but Reference.com has the following under the heading "trivia": "[Warner Oland] is related to Thorbjörn Fälldin, former Prime Minister of Sweden. In the later years of his life, he became a disciple of Paramahansa Yogananda after a chance meeting on a train."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ccf10.jpg (10.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #61
mccoy
supernal user

That checks with what recounted Yoganandaji in a talk. The actor turned from his initial nasty attitude to the recognition of a true spiritual teacher.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #62
Greg
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
That checks with what recounted Yoganandaji in a talk. The actor turned from his initial nasty attitude to the recognition of a true spiritual teacher.
Interesting! Nice to see this confirmed in the press.

_/|\_ "Cut through the chains of agency and perceive the Single Cause!"

Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:06 AM   #63
pachiaammos

I am playful with the website's classification of what to us was the most important decision in that man's life as "trivia".