A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Welcome > About the Board

Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
pachiaammos

Posting Guideline: Relevance

I wonder whether or not other participants would like an amendment to the Posting Guidelines to add a Guideline to ask that posts be relevant to spirituality, except in the 'world events' section?

I have read a number of posts in the past couple of months which, while harmless, seem to me to lack connection to any satsang purpose.

Thoughts, anyone?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
mccoy
supernal user

Pachiaammos,
I believe I know what you mean but those posts, many of which downright dumb and OT, have had maybe their place in keeping the forum a lively environment.

Nobody likes a dull environment, nor a too noisy one, reaching the proper balance is not easy though.

I would let the things stay as they are unless the main guidelines are infringed and unless the situation degenerates.

And having maybe a briefing with the administrators to judge what's the treshold for unacceptable degradation.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
rasa
The it one

An amendment to the Posting Guidelines could be that a post should be relevant to the thread topic it is posted under. Otherwise it could be deleted, which, IMO would be a mild amount of moderating compared to another forum I belong to.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
zonemonk88

Just deleting something out of hand because it is deemed off topic would be a mistake, IMHO.

A post can be OT without totally derailing the thread from the main topic.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
rasa
The it one

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakrsna View Post
HinduDharmaForum(Rasa`s new home) reminds me of Yogananda.net & Indiadivine.org/Audarya. The admin at HDF is paranoid. Security measures are way too strict. Oh, well. There`s no place like Yoganandaji.org.
I don't sense HDF as being paranoid. They just have a heavier hand than some places. They probably don't even realize that they do.

I had a few posts deleted over there. To be honest, I am glad they are gone. I personally don't think being silenced every once and awhile is such an evil thing. You are liberated from the idea that your opinions are so terribly important. The people who delete them happen to own the board, and are exersizing their right of ownership by deleting them.

Pachiaammos - on yet another forum I belong to they have a way of splitting threads, so that if the conversation starts to run off and become irrelevant to the topic heading, a new thread is created by the mods under a new heading, with a sub-heading, "Split from....(the original topic)".

Perhaps threads and replies that are not a spiritual topic could be moved or split to an off-topic part of the forum.