A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Welcome > About the Board

View Poll Results: Should the number of posts per user be limited?
No, no limit to the number of posts 3 42.86%
Limit users to 20 posts per day 0 0%
Limit users to 15 posts per day 0 0%
Limit users to 10 posts per day 0 0%
Limit users to 5 posts per day 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Greg
Administrator

Posting limits and quality of posts

The idea has come up that the admins should limit the number of posts a user can make in a day.

My feelings: I feel that the quality of posts and the supportive nature of the board can be diluted if there is an excess of casual conversation. Limiting posts might encourage people to be more thoughtful about the quality and content of their post. Another option might be to open a new sub-forum without posting limits, to allow people a more free range of expression.

I would like to open a discussion on limiting the daily number of posts that a user makes. How do you feel about it? I would like to gague other people's feelings on this subject.

Please reply to this post with your thoughts. Also please take a moment to respond to the poll on this thread. This poll is non-binding and is being made to gague the attitude of board users, and may help admins make future decisions on the board operation.

Thank you.

_/|\_ "Cut through the chains of agency and perceive the Single Cause!"

Old 10-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
pachiaammos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
the quality of posts and the supportive nature of the board can be diluted if there is an excess of casual conversation.
For me this is the issue. Quality. A new sub-board for casual conversation could help, especially, I suggest, if there all other boards have a couple of Moderators enabled and willing to transfer posts from other forums across to the new sub-board.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
devallaraju

Hi Greg,
I like this idea. I vote for this, this can maintain the quality of the posts surely to certain extent.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Delsol
Administrator

Posting Limitations:

The purpose of the board is to converse and exchange. This is not an avenue for lengthy monologues. With this in mind, please do not subvert the word limit on a single post by continuing your discourse through multiple, consecutive posts. Please limit your post count to five per day. Posts per day are limited in number and length in an effort to encourage conversation, and also to allow all posts to be read before they fall off the initial screen. Finally, for each post you make, try to respond to at least three others. Please do not copy and paste articles from other websites. Links to other site articles are appropriate if introduced first by the poster so that readers know what the link is for. Please do not post links to advertisements, or advertise commercial products in signatures.

The above is already part of the Board Posting Guidelines, so... the posts are already limited. This is not always enforced because we don't have many Moderators actually participating at the moment, plus 'regular' posting is slow.

My feeling about creating a new forum is not positive unless more volunteers offer to assist with Moderating, and generating or encouraging actual conversations. Those who are silent need more encouragement to speak. As I've always said, without participation, there is no board. Everyone who joins has an obligation to contribute; at least in my mind. (smile)
Old 10-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Greg
Administrator

Thanks, Shannon. I had not read that part of the guidelines before, so that explains why some users and moderators were talking about having a five post limit.

So, this would be a good time for users to respect this portion of the board guidelines and limit their posts, as described in the guidelines. There is not much further need for discussion on this topic, so I am going to close it off. Thanks for participating!

_/|\_ "Cut through the chains of agency and perceive the Single Cause!"

Closed Thread