A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Sacred Places

Old 05-26-2017, 12:37 AM   #1
Philippe

Has anyone ever been to Mount Athos ?

Hi everyone,
By Master's grace and incredible circunstances, I will have the possiblity this summer to explore Mount Athos in Greece with my 11 year son.
This a very closed sacred mountain in Greece, with many monasteries and hermits.

My son is quite young, but I see it as a wonderfull opoortunity to live something unique together.
We will sleep there and will have the possibility to explore the place freely.
Does someone has advices, tips for what sacred places to explore ?
P
Philippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
Adhikari
आत्मन्

I know only males are allowed to visit it. Female animals, chickens, cows, ewes, nanny-goats, mares, and sows are also barred except for female cats, female insects and female songbirds.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
mike1yogi

Here's an interesting note from the translator of the book The Way of a Pilgrim:

"Of the pilgrimís identity nothing is known. In some way his manuscript or a copy of it came into the hands of a monk on Mount Athos in whose possession it was found by the abbot of St. Michaelís Monastery at Kazan. The abbot copied the manuscript, and from his copy the book was printed at Kazan in 1884."

Last edited by mike1yogi; 05-26-2017 at 04:49 PM.
mike1yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:03 AM   #4
Philippe

I'm just coming back from Mount Athos, Greece. This is one of the most sacred and secret place in the world.
My son (11) and I have spent 2 unforgettable days and a night. Practicing Kriya here was an experience.
We had the chance to be invited by the superior of a small monastery and to travel the peninsula driven by one of the monks. The nature fully preserved, the monasteries, the spiritual atmosphere are very special.

Some monks have the light and joy of God in their eyes. There is no doubt possible.
I asked our guide if he found God, he answered that he had found himself and removed his masks. I feel that he was more looking for a life of peace that for finding God.
The kindness and love of all the monks I could talk to was impressive. I remember the superior, an old man, of one of the more important monasteries that I thought was the gardener. My guide told me about his real role later.

I will share some photos when I will have blured the faces of the monks.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
mike1yogi

Philippe, do monks/hermits still live in caves in the side of a cliff?
Old 08-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
Philippe

I asked my guides about that. They just told me that a few hermit lived in a place called "the desert", near "St Simon Petra" monastery.
They don't live in caves, but in small houses-huts close to the sea.
On those 2 photos it's on the right.

Maybe something else does exist, but I don't know about it. I'm not sure that monks know about everything that's going on the Mt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4746.jpg (191.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4751.jpg (196.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
Philippe

Some more photos : my son and I and our guides, a "miracle" spring, various monasteries and inside of a church.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4886.jpg (181.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4885.jpg (186.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4732.jpg (203.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4811.jpg (195.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4857.jpg (195.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-21-2017, 02:33 AM   #8
Philippe

You may know that the Orthodox religion gives a lot of importance to Icons. Under certain conditions, for them God may be present inside.
Here are 2 icons that I found to be very "Yogic" :
- The first one on the transfiguration of Christ (in greek : metamorphosis)
- The second about "divine mother"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Icon1.jpg (207.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Icon2.jpg (188.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-26-2017, 03:19 AM   #9
Irihapeti

What beautiful photos thank you so much for sharing would be such an amazing and memorable trip lovely to have your son with you would make it extra special. In Divine Friendship and Love
Irihapeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #10
simple

Your son is so adorable and beautiful. He will grow into a handsome young man along with all the spirituality that you are exposing him to. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the info on Mt Athos.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:02 AM   #11
Philippe

One of the monks made the prediction that he will be pope in Rome in the distant future, since we are Catholics. I really hope not ;-)

Last edited by Philippe; 08-30-2017 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #12
Stream
meds twice daily

Would love to visit Mt Athos. What a place. How long can one stay?

"The darkness of maya is silently approaching. Let us hie homeward within." - Swami Sri Yukteswar
Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #13
Dave

I have never been to Mount Athos and I think God probably is everywhere like the background of a radar screen. At least, I hope so!
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #14
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post

One of the monks made the prediction that he will be pope in Rome in the distant future, since we are Catholics. I really hope not ;-)
I was born into the catholic church and left it at the age of 13. It is not a good idea to be a Catholic. Believe me.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #15
Philippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream View Post
Would love to visit Mt Athos. What a place. How long can one stay?
You can stay 4 days, + 4 days extension. It's very difficult to be admitted : a lot of administration, especially if you're not Orthodox, and Greeks are masters in bureaucracy...
But it's manageable if you're patient. They want to avoid a tourism of curiosity, but with Master's help, it's quite easy if you anticipate.
And at some moment the magic of this country and wonderful people happens.

Last edited by Philippe; 09-01-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #16
sulmonte

Quote:

Maybe in the days of your son's adulthood a SRF president is considered like a kind of Pope. I would not wish for your delicate looking son to enter into the catholic church jungle. Maybe you could bring him one day to LA and to Master's temples if he is already awake at a young age....! ;-)
sulmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #17
Stream
meds twice daily

Quote:
You can stay 4 days, + 4 days extension. It's very difficult to be admitted : a lot of administration, especially if you're not Orthodox, and Greeks are masters in bureaucracy...
But it's manageable if you're patient. They want to avoid a tourism of curiosity, but with Master's help, it's quite easy if you anticipate.
And at some moment the magic of this country and wonderful people happens.
It's an amazing place. Almost from a different age. They're even on another calender, aren't they? I would love to go for a visit. But I don't know if I'd want to leave again. lol

"The darkness of maya is silently approaching. Let us hie homeward within." - Swami Sri Yukteswar
Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #18
Philippe

Yes they have a different calendar, as for all the Orthodox church, so like the Russians, Serbians etc.

The monk who was our guide, brother A, came here for a retreat. He was 42, and stayed here for the remaining of his live. He is 60 now.
The other monk, brother M, the one who invited us to come visiting him was at the head of a small hermitage that he was rebuilding. He only spoke greek, so conversation was quite difficult. This second monk had the light of God in the eyes. I know that he came here after some times in the business life.
I didn't understand well his local status, but he was highly respected. All doors opened to us when brother A mentionned to people that we were "guests of brother M".
One monk at the head of Russian Monastery presented us relics of Saint Andrew, the apostle. I understand that it was a very exceptional thing since all monks presents suddenly prostrated on the floor when they realized what was happening.
Please see 2 photos below, the one of the relic I found of the net because they don't appreciate when we take photos in the churches, but it is exactly the relic that was presented to us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Athos1.jpg (202.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Athos2.jpg (28.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #19
Philippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulmonte View Post
Maybe in the days of your son's adulthood a SRF president is considered like a kind of Pope. I would not wish for your delicate looking son to enter into the catholic church jungle. Maybe you could bring him one day to LA and to Master's temples if he is already awake at a young age....! ;-)
So true Sulmonte ;-). Rome is like a lions cage....
I will introduce him to AY if he keeps an interest in spirituality when he is older.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #20
yogagirl

Yes,

Thank you Philippe for these lovely photos, and the inspiring story of taking your son on a spiritual pilgrimage.

Was never able to give that kind of experience to my son, but he did enjoy the comic strip book version of AY.
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote