A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Health, Diet and Recipes

Old 05-06-2017, 06:08 AM   #1
mccoy
supernal user

Vegan transition

I wonder if anyone is considering to transition toward a more plant-based regimen, like discussed in previous threads.
I'm doing that for various reasons and I discovered that I can pretty much tweak my taste, helped by some experimentation.
For example, the recipe below, which is very quick & clean entailing only soem mixing and soaking of foods, is exceptionally nourishing and tasty. It's a vegan super-muesli based on soymilk, which I found tastier than cow milk. The trick is to find something you like. This is organic and vanilla-flavoured, with little sugar added (less than 3%). The result is incredibly good tasting. If course any vegan milks can be used, like almond, rice, coconut, but soy is richer in ammino acids and iron and carries genistein, a phytoestrogen useful to counteract too many animal estrogens present in diet. All the other ingredients are health boosters and can be varied at pleasure. This is my latest concoction:
Soymilk 550 gr ( about 1.2 pounds)
Almonds 20
Sunflower seeds 40 grams (4 tablespoons)
Raisins 50 grams (about 2 ounces)
aronia dried berries+incan dried goldenberries: 15 grams

One or two tbspoons pea or hemp protein makes it formidable after workouts

Other potential additions may be ground flaxseed, walnuts and other nuts, fresh or dried berries and so on.

Fresh fruit goes very well with this meal. Often I'll eat oranges or apples (or mango if available), wait one hour and then eat the supermuesli. That's a portable meal which I almost always have at the office. One day I remember I ran out of soymilk and used cowmilk. I was disappointed by the taste!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170412_091220.jpg (183.0 KB, 6 views)
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
brock

I am @mccoy. I have found encouragement to do so from the research you've shared. Our local vegan meetup did not happen. But that's okay. There is a small vegan cult here between me, you, and AlwaysGod.

I was talking to someonel in the grocery store about this, explaining to her that I was only transitioning to veganism. That way if you make some slips every now and then, you avoid guilt tripping over it. Ha ha.
brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
brock

@Mccoy I didn't understand what the difference is between meusli and super-meusli. I had some kroger brand meusli recently because it was on sale. The cashier told me he used to feed it to his horses, but reassured me that humans could eat it too.
brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:39 PM   #4
mccoy
supernal user

Brock, I'm happy we can compare notes about the transition.

I found that, psychologically, avoiding an abrupt change may be fundamental.

For example, I did not impose to myself (as I used to do as a young man):
'From now on, only plant-based food!'

Instead, I decided I can eat as many dairy products as I wish, giving priority to alternatives.

This mental trick is working. I'm liking soymilk more than cowmilk now and am eating very little cheese, tiny slivers at night as a condiment, about 10-15 grams, when I'm eating it.
Also, I found that, after a while, I enjoy beans, especially if they have a strong flavour and are appropriately dressed with anything I like (tomato sauce is great). I am moderate in their use, usually 100-150 grams cooked and drained max and sometimes take digestive enzymes.
Exercise helps in that makes me hungry and boosts digestive power.
Everyone, from eminent biogerontologists like Longo and Fontana-Berrino to the vegan doctors like Ornish, McDougall, Fuhrman, Barnard, agree that beans are healthy and longevity-boosting. Their lectins are immunity -boosting because of the mechanism of hormesis. The evidence is such that I was convinced. Whatever has been shown to be healthy and longevity conducive, I'm simply going to like and eat.

Now I'm experimenting making my own kefir with soy milk and next I'm going to make my own soy yogurt, which is too expensive to buy.

In the meanwhile, I have no targets. Many proponents of a vegan based diet, like Dr. McDougall, Dr. Fuhrman and others, do not rule out animal foods. The former says it can be eaten during festivities, the latter says you can allow sparingly, about 5-10% of such food, including fish and meat. It must be told though that Dr. Fuhrman's diet is exceptionally healthy and based on vegetables and fruit.

But I believe that, once the body and mind are accustomed, they are going naturally to loose any attraction to animal food and can go without for long periods or forever. Occasional binging on animal food is part of the game and must constitute no mental drawback.

Pls note that an appropriate supplementation is in order, although the only necessary micronutrient for vegans is vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin). And that's not an option.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock View Post
@Mccoy I didn't understand what the difference is between meusli and super-meusli. I had some kroger brand meusli recently because it was on sale. The cashier told me he used to feed it to his horses, but reassured me that humans could eat it too.
brock, I call it super-muesli because it's super-nourishing, with soymilk plus whole grain oats, raisins, nuts & seeds.

Actually, all sort of mueslis, soaked in soymilk, to a degree become super foods
Old 05-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
Always God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
Brock, I'm happy we can compare notes about the transition.

I found that, psychologically, avoiding an abrupt change may be fundamental.

For example, I did not impose to myself (as I used to do as a young man):
'From now on, only plant-based food!'

Instead, I decided I can eat as many dairy products as I wish, giving priority to alternatives.

This mental trick is working. I'm liking soymilk more than cowmilk now and am eating very little cheese, tiny slivers at night as a condiment, about 10-15 grams, when I'm eating it.
Also, I found that, after a while, I enjoy beans, especially if they have a strong flavour and are appropriately dressed with anything I like (tomato sauce is great). I am moderate in their use, usually 100-150 grams cooked and drained max and sometimes take digestive enzymes.
Exercise helps in that makes me hungry and boosts digestive power.
Everyone, from eminent biogerontologists like Longo and Fontana-Berrino to the vegan doctors like Ornish, McDougall, Fuhrman, Barnard, agree that beans are healthy and longevity-boosting. Their lectins are immunity -boosting because of the mechanism of hormesis. The evidence is such that I was convinced. Whatever has been shown to be healthy and longevity conducive, I'm simply going to like and eat.

Now I'm experimenting making my own kefir with soy milk and next I'm going to make my own soy yogurt, which is too expensive to buy.

In the meanwhile, I have no targets. Many proponents of a vegan based diet, like Dr. McDougall, Dr. Fuhrman and others, do not rule out animal foods. The former says it can be eaten during festivities, the latter says you can allow sparingly, about 5-10% of such food, including fish and meat. It must be told though that Dr. Fuhrman's diet is exceptionally healthy and based on vegetables and fruit.

But I believe that, once the body and mind are accustomed, they are going naturally to loose any attraction to animal food and can go without for long periods or forever. Occasional binging on animal food is part of the game and must constitute no mental drawback.

Pls note that an appropriate supplementation is in order, although the only necessary micronutrient for vegans is vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin). And that's not an option.
You rule out animal products because 1. you don't need them and 2. they are inevitably the result of cruelty.
Always God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:10 AM   #7
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always God View Post
You rule out animal products because 1. you don't need them and 2. they are inevitably the result of cruelty.
AG, your 2nd point is the ethical point and there is no discussion with that.

Point # 1 is more subtle and arguable. Anyway, a plant-based diet has numerous advantages. One well known champion of veganism is Dr. Greger, and if Brock ar anyone else need any rational, reason-driven support to their intention to become vegans, I stronly suggest the reading of Dr. Greger's book. He is a medical doctor whith a lifelong passion for nutrition and a library rat from the beginning. He enumerates in a scientific way and with the due abundace of literature references all the health & longevity advantages of a vegan diet. Main drawback, which he admits himself, his bias on 100% veganism. It may not always be the best solution for everyone, though he eloquently and rigorously shows that it is a solution which may provide overwhelming benefits to health and longevity.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
Always God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
AG, your 2nd point is the ethical point and there is no discussion with that.

Point # 1 is more subtle and arguable. Anyway, a plant-based diet has numerous advantages. One well known champion of veganism is Dr. Greger, and if Brock ar anyone else need any rational, reason-driven support to their intention to become vegans, I stronly suggest the reading of Dr. Greger's book. He is a medical doctor whith a lifelong passion for nutrition and a library rat from the beginning. He enumerates in a scientific way and with the due abundace of literature references all the health & longevity advantages of a vegan diet. Main drawback, which he admits himself, his bias on 100% veganism. It may not always be the best solution for everyone, though he eloquently and rigorously shows that it is a solution which may provide overwhelming benefits to health and longevity.

I have the book - I am a fan of Dr. Greger.

I think Greger is a strong advocate of veganism. There are really no downsides to it, except those we make up to support time honoured traditions.
Always God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #9
mccoy
supernal user

Again on super-muesli, I find this is working for me (granted, it won't work for some others) and is a sensible strategy:

• Fresh fruit: Eat as much fresh fruit as you wish; currently I'm eating cantaloupe and oranges, throwing in kiwifruit at times. All season fruit is good, better if coloured inside, orange, yellow, red, green....Eat only fruit
  • Supermuesli: After about an hour from eating fruit, eat the muesli, on an empty stomach since the fruit is digested very quickly, barring overeating

The above is a portable meal (although cumbersome) and I'm taking it everyday at work. The essential amminoacid content is 100% RDA and many other important micronutrients are abundant. Green vegetables at dinner will complete the work, together with beans, whole grains, nuts...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170517_090215.jpg (178.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-22-2017, 05:39 AM   #10
mccoy
supernal user

One essential aspect of the transition is to choose foods who are subjectively appetizing and good.

For example, the supermuesli I concocted is delicious and refreshing to me, so I'll never feel any lack of dairy products for my noon meal.

Another viable choice might have been substitution of soy yogurt to milk yogurt. I find that flavoured soy yogurt (cocnut, almonds,...) is pretty palatable, maybe adding some honey if unsweetened. Products sweetened with too much artificial sugar or fructose may be detrimental to health. Since here soy yogurt is expensive (2-3 times milk yogurt), maybe I'm going to make my own.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:42 AM   #11
mccoy
supernal user

For the few ones who are interested, you guys may substitute one meal at a time with some food you really like (and you may already be eating one 100 % vegan meal).

That may be whatsoever of the pletora of meat, cheese and fish substitutes available on the market. The rule is that you must really like it.

Then, the extension is carried out to all other meals. Once you like that, it is hard to feel the need for non-plant-based food.