A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Let Us Laugh Together

Old 11-13-2016, 01:10 AM   #1
yogagirl

On the importance of showing the pictures of the gurus to your kids

When I first became an SRF member, as a young enthusiastic mum I wanted my kids to be blessed by this knowledge, too. However, I would also hide away my SRF things and pictures so as not to offend my atheist husband.
Anyway, one day, sitting on my seven-year-old son's bed, telling him stories about Lahiri Mahasaya, he suddenly stopped me and said with deep curiosity, 'Can I see his picture, please?' I was delighted! a moment of spiritual awakening, thought I. I was very surprised at the look of shock on his face, when I showed him the guru's picture. "But he's bald!"he exclaimed.
I realized at that moment, that the hairy monster he had lovingly drawn for me on my birthday card marked, 'Le Hairy Mahasaya' was not a joke. Being half French and English, he had misheard, and understood 'la' to be 'the'.
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
BKYetc

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl View Post
When I first became an SRF member, as a young enthusiastic mum I wanted my kids to be blessed by this knowledge, too. However, I would also hide away my SRF things and pictures so as not to offend my atheist husband.
Anyway, one day, sitting on my seven-year-old son's bed, telling him stories about Lahiri Mahasaya, he suddenly stopped me and said with deep curiosity, 'Can I see his picture, please?' I was delighted! a moment of spiritual awakening, thought I. I was very surprised at the look of shock on his face, when I showed him the guru's picture. "But he's bald!"he exclaimed.
I realized at that moment, that the hairy monster he had lovingly drawn for me on my birthday card marked, 'Le Hairy Mahasaya' was not a joke. Being half French and English, he had misheard, and understood 'la' to be 'the'.
Good one!

I went to a lecture by a current guru whose school is familiar with Yogananda and his lineage, and the speaker referred to his child seeing Yogananda and using the pronoun "she," which got a couple chuckles in the audience. As I recall though, there might have been a verbal nod to the reputation he had as a mother/father figure.
BKYetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:42 AM   #3
mccoy
supernal user

Great story and I can imagine your son's disappointment.

The mental image that kids create in their minds are often badly disabused when they see the real person. One such event happened to Gandhi, when a child told he expected a big man erupting fire from his mouth and was greatly disappointed seeing a tiny and frail man.

On the other side even we adults create mental images of people we don't see which are sometimes very different from reality.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
Delsol
Administrator

Lol! Hysterical! Very cute.

P.S. Not fully related, but your story reminded me of a funny language experience I once had as a volunteer-mom while on a bus full of young children on our way to an abbey for a field trip. My French is not great, so when a little girl motioned me to her with a worried look saying 'Fourmi! Fourmi!" (Ant! Ant!) I was confused. I looked all over her seat, the window - no ants in sight. Was she being bitten? I could not figure it out; the little girl was increasingly more distressed, looking to me to solve what seemed to be an imminant problem. I think I told her all is well, there is nothing wrong, etc, but she would not settle down. Finally I called over a French mom to help, then I understood. The little girl had not been saying 'Fourmi!' She was saying "Vomir!!" (Vomit!) lol. She was car sick, and about to throw up. The other mom immediately rushed her to the front of the bus.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:33 AM   #5
srz

That is funny. Do you still hide your spiritual pictures so as not to offend your atheistic husband? I can't imagine that, doesn't sit well with me.
srz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
yogagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by srz View Post
That is funny. Do you still hide your spiritual pictures so as not to offend your atheistic husband? I can't imagine that, doesn't sit well with me.
Hi,
No, I don't still hide them... To be fair, I was an atheist when we met and got married, so it was a big change...! Everyone's different and every couple has to learn how to respect the other's space, and understand how much space they need... like two individual chords on the same instrument - when given their own space to play their own notes or melodies, they can complement each other... and I didn't need space on the wall for my guru's picture, as I could create space in my heart... (theoretically!)
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote