A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Health, Diet and Recipes

Old 06-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
soniyamystical2

My life style transition

Namaste friends;

I have been practicing Kriya yoga meditation for about 15 years..and it has changed my life dramatically. But at times I have fallen off the wagon a bit and lost track a bit.

I have been vegetarian/vegan for the past 14 years. I do eat dairy and eggs sometimes, not on a daily basis. I have meditated and have listened to my body and this is what I came up with.

My intended diet plan:

Winter: 30% raw vegan 70 % lightly cooked/steamed vegan
Summer: 70% raw vegan 30 % lightly cooked/steamed

I switch it up in the winter/summer months because I feel that the environment/weather plays an important part of our lives.

I also plan to increase my meditation. For exercise, I plan to walk, gets lots of fresh air and sunshine & yoga. Oh! yes! I forgot..breathing. Take time each morning and even just to sit and do some breathing exercises.

I will post updates. Please feel free to join me.

God bless.

Last edited by soniyamystical2; 06-20-2017 at 05:58 PM.
soniyamystical2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 PM   #2
mccoy
supernal user

Hi Soniya and welcome to the forum!

Good idea about the updates, I'm going to join you soon.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
soniyamystical2

Thanks for joining, post your updates too.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
soniyamystical2

recipe

I have sweet tooth and this smoothie satisfies me when I get those cravings.

Recipe: almond milk, dates, cinnamon, Cacao powder. Optional: Banana, vegan protein or nutrition powder (vega) if you want to make this a meal replacement.

Blend well and enjoy. I use the nutribullet rx blender. It works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40.jpg (34.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-23-2017, 04:10 AM   #5
mccoy
supernal user

Soniya, I don't know why but I just love the foam on top of your vegan smoothie !
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:06 AM   #6
mccoy
supernal user

Bought the blender and made the first (vegan) smoothie.

Recipe: Bananas, frozen berries, a little soymilk. Celestial ambrosia from the supernal astral realms!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170624_141341.jpg (187.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20170624_141015.jpg (191.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
soniyamystical2

How do you like the blender?
Old 06-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #8
mike1yogi

Looks good, but the NB makes it so easy to get dark green leafy superfoods like spinach or kale in your diet....but I am biased
Old 06-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #9
mike1yogi

Soniya, I like your plan - it's always good to look for motivation and ways to get enthused about our spiritual practice. Like you said, it's very easy to get off track, the daily battle, we don't win all the battles.

Diet is of course important. My problem is eating too much at times, even though it doesn't seem like a lot, but it affects my meditation. You think it would be simple, but it's been a battle... I used to walk all day in my job, now I'm at home in front of my computer, and the body is not getting any younger....but I'm working on it- time for a walk in fact.

Quote:
I also plan to increase my meditation. For exercise, I plan to walk, gets lots of fresh air and sunshine & yoga. Oh! yes! I forgot..breathing. Take time each morning and even just to sit and do some breathing exercises.
I like this, and I too have been trying to do these things (not so much Hatha, but gentle stretching). Master talks about breathing a lot - I remember 1 SRF mag article about keeping youthful, Master mentions doing 2x deep breathing 30 times, morning and night (holding for a couple seconds between inhaling and exhaling) - I have tried to do that lately, in the a.m. anyway... part of the 30 breaths I sweep my arms up on inhalation, then 2x exhalation while swinging my arms down toward the toes.

Keep on, motivation is great!

Last edited by mike1yogi; 06-24-2017 at 11:29 PM.
mike1yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #10
mccoy
supernal user

Re. Blender: the only reasonably priced (175 US$), medium-power models were similar to the one I bought. Nutribullet is not sold retail here and it would have taken some time to order it.
A major drawback of my model is that more power would be needed to mix frozen food, sometimes it just stalls. But powerful vitamix models are far more costly.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
soniyamystical2

@mikeyogi, I overeat too at times and I have experienced how diet affects my meditation. I have been driving for the past 3 years, before I used to walk mostly..not I drive, it's convenient. I now have to make time to walk.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #12
soniyamystical2

@Mccoy. I would love to own a vitamix, so much you can do with it...but way way too expensive for me. So I had to settle for the nutribullet. Love it so far.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:58 AM   #13
eam531

Like Soniyamystical2, in summer I eat primarily raw vegan, in winter primarily cooked vegan. Given my dosha (strongly vata) and where I live (Western NY State), I don't think it's good for me to eat a lot of raw foods during the cold winters here.

Green smoothies are a staple for me; I use my Vitamix. It is expensive but well worth saving up for. I use it at least once a day, usually more often.

I also practice hatha yoga, walk, lift weights, and ride my bike.

My body seems to do well with this dietary and exercise regimen.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:10 AM   #14
mccoy
supernal user

Very interesting vid by Dr. Greger on smoothies. Bottomline: don't use apples in smoothies, rather berries.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #15
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
Very interesting vid by Dr. Greger on smoothies. Bottomline: don't use apples in smoothies, rather berries.
Thanks mccoy, I think I'll start eating my apple instead of putting it in my smoothie.

I really like this guy Dr Greger, very practical about things - if he's traveling "what are ya gonna do?" he'll have a Taco Bell bean burrito, etc, and I've already picked up some good tips - think I'll start freezing my greens - last longer - and try out some fresh lemon and maybe use parsley as a green in my smoothies.

Like I read someone say in another post, it's a good idea not to be slavish about things, eat healthy, but as Br. Anandamoyji said in a talk one time 'have a cookie once in awhile" (don't be too fanatical)
Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM   #16
mccoy
supernal user

Most 'vegan doctors' suggest to skimp once in a while and even eat animal-based food, if the person craves it. This does not apply to strict ethical vegans of course.
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM   #17
yogagirl

Is this because of vitamin B12? One needs to take supplements of this, I think. One may only start to feel the effects of not having enough B12 after a period of 5 years or more.
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:19 AM   #18
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl View Post
Is this because of vitamin B12? One needs to take supplements of this, I think. One may only start to feel the effects of not having enough B12 after a period of 5 years or more.
Yogagirl, probably that's one reason, although B12 can be easily taken by well consolidated supplementation practices, in many forms, included the methylated ones which some absorb more easily. B12 and other nutrients like retinol, which in some particular genetic polymorphisms were beta carotene is under-absorbed can become necessary. The possibilities are many. There is also probably a sort of metabolic adaptation factor. We all know about Dr. Lewis, the first America Kryiaban, who after becoming vegetarian developed some strange symptoms. He had to resume eating meat occasionally and eventually quit. He also ate fish, don't know if continued after quitting meat.

Vitamin B12 availability in liver after cessation of dietary intake may be variable, 3-5 years are reported before deficiency occurs, but if unfavourabl efactors are present (liver disorders for example) the long-term storage might be compromised. also, to begin with, the body might have stored less than the 2 mg minimum quantity observed, and start at a disadvantage.

The reason why people insist on absolutely avoiding B12 deficiency, as I realize, is that serious deficiency can cause irreversible neurological damage and dementia.

Quote:
From wikipedia: The total amount of vitamin B12 stored in body is about 2–5 mg in adults. Around 50% of this is stored in the liver. Approximately 0.1% of this is lost per day by secretions into the gut, as not all these secretions are reabsorbed. Bile is the main form of B12 excretion; most of the B12 secreted in the bile is recycled via enterohepatic circulation. Excess B12 beyond the blood's binding capacity is typically excreted in urine. Owing to the extremely efficient enterohepatic circulation of B12, the liver can store 3 to 5 years’ worth of vitamin B12;[71] therefore, nutritional deficiency of this vitamin is rare. How fast B12 levels change depends on the balance between how much B12 is obtained from the diet, how much is secreted and how much is absorbed. B12 deficiency may arise in a year if initial stores are low and genetic factors unfavourable, or may not appear for decades. In infants, B12 deficiency can appear much more quickly.[72]
Old Today, 06:05 AM   #19
Philippe

One of the best explanations that I found for this deficiency is that humans have eaten too much animal products for the last 3 millions years, since they started colonizing the world from Africa.

My guess : as there will be a critical mass of people going towards a plant-based diet that is indeed the natural diet for us, there will be a tipping point in the evolution of humans, and our descendant won't need B12 supplementation as we do.
It can be faster that what we can imagine. Recent researches on dogs have shown that some important genetic mutations in a species can take less than 10 generations.
Philippe is offline   Reply With Quote