A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Open Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #41
simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl View Post
But for those of us who have the good fortune of still being in love with master's words, or able to remind ourselves of remaining in love with them....I was wondering....has anyone ever been able to learn the lessons by heart? How wonderful to go about your daily business, and then to flick over the pages mentality, to be able to remember the paragraph needed in a flash, to be able to recite all of Guruji's advice, poems and affirmations when needed. To be a walking 'lessons'!! Such brains do exist, I'm sure!
( Maybe Brother Chidhananda has such a brain, which encompasses and has mentally filed every word that our guru ever uttered. )
IDF
YG, Iceman's advice is excellent. I think it was Guruji who says in one of his audio tapes that if we practice even 1% of his teachings, we will find liberation.

If we try to read the lessons to the best of our abilities (be it from front to back, or just jumping wherever we feel drawn), and if we keep our attunement with Guruji (by practicing Kriya to the best of our ability and giving our love and devotion to Guruji), Guruji has this ability to remind us of something we read long ago in his lessons or guide us to just the right paragraph in his writing when we need it. There is no need to memorize the lessons. He is living within us and without us, and gives us support and counsel as and when we need it. Actually, He is you and He is everything, so all will flow in him, or 'jump around in bliss' as Sulmonte said.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #42
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
YG, Iceman's advice is excellent. I think it was Guruji who says in one of his audio tapes that if we practice even 1% of his teachings, we will find liberation.

If we try to read the lessons to the best of our abilities (be it from front to back, or just jumping wherever we feel drawn), and if we keep our attunement with Guruji (by practicing Kriya to the best of our ability and giving our love and devotion to Guruji), Guruji has this ability to remind us of something we read long ago in his lessons or guide us to just the right paragraph in his writing when we need it. There is no need to memorize the lessons. He is living within us and without us, and gives us support and counsel as and when we need it. Actually, He is you and He is everything, so all will flow in him, or 'jump around in bliss' as Sulmonte said.
Kriya is more like an art than a science, in my opinion. You mention practising it to the best of your ability, which suggests to me it is subjective and not objective. I would really like to have a discussion about kriya yoga but this isn't the thread for it.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #43
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Kriya is more like an art than a science, in my opinion. You mention practising it to the best of your ability, which suggests to me it is subjective and not objective. I would really like to have a discussion about kriya yoga but this isn't the thread for it.
Dave, not much people can discuss about kriya technique. If you are kriyaban, the kriya lessons, also chapter 26 in AOY is where we get our info
Old 02-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #44
yogagirl

Quote:

Lovely, Simple, just what I needed to hear! Thanks!
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #45
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Hi Yoga Girl,

Memorizing the Lessons, eh? How about memorizing the Vedas,
or the Mahabharata, or the Ramayana?

I have spent countless hours reading the Master's teachings,
to my great benefit.

BUT, far more important and far more difficult is to actually
APPLY the teachings. Apply 1% of the teachings and you will
get liberation!

Be Well
iceman
PS
Trust me, you don't wat to be a Nun!
Br. T: "It is more important that you know at least 5% of the teachings and practice 95% of that, than know 95% of the teachings and practice only 5%."

I seem to remember hearing Br Anandamoyji saying Master said that "if you practice 1 millionth of what I say you will find God"...yep, pretty sure Brotherji said 1 millionth
Old 02-14-2018, 11:36 PM   #46
luvpeacejoy

Quote:

true. well said.
luvpeacejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #47
simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Dear Dave,

I think Kriya is both an art and a science. The technique of kriya is a science whose practice quickens the soul's march towards the infinite and Guruji writes about this in the Kriya Chapter in the AY. The practice of kriya is recommended by Guruji to be performed with devotion (kriya + devotion) and this aspect is the art, I would say. If a student were to practice kriya strictly as a science without devotion, it will still work because the very progress that the disciple makes through Kriya will awaken Shraddha (the soul's natural devotion) and Sri Yukteswarji writes about how this happens on the spiritual path in the Holy Science. So if a disciple is more reason and intellect oriented rather than heart oriented, it is okay, because kriya will still naturally draw out the devotion from the disciple's heart by opening the heart chakra in time. The conclusion of The Holy Science is that love is the ultimate result on this path, and this is very profound when you think about the title of the book, and that the author is a Jnanavatar.

I mentioned practicing kriya to the best of one's ability for a few reasons:

1) I will have been practicing kriya for 25 years this summer, and I still have days when kriya happens so smoothly and days when the practice is difficult and feels as if I am doing it all wrong. I take it as it is, don't let it bog me down, and also remember the chant "Today my mind has dived deep in thee", which is a wonderful chant to give the right perspective on meditation and this path.
2) Part of our kriya pledge is to practice kriya "to the best of our ability" as well, so it is a good point to remember on this path and not allow guilt to take over when we fail.
3) Though we are to practice it twice a day, there have been times when I have fallen short of this requirement. Yet I know that Guruji understands and will be my Guru to the end, and I his disciple. He knew and knows everything about me, my idiosyncrasies, my karma, my good parts and my bad parts, yet he took me on as his disciple. That says a great deal about his faith in me, and in all his disciples to make it to the end. There is so much unknown on this path, and I try to not figure it all out, just surrender to Guruji's wisdom and protection. But hardest part for me to do is to surrender my will to his will, and this I am still working on.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #48
kabbalah

I don't know if it is really accurate to say that you need a guru. The reason is there does not seem to be any other suitable gurus besides yogananda. There is no runner up so to speak. You are better off with yogananda as a guru even though he has left his body and you never met him in that person than to go out and find a living guru someplace. So that is an odd situation. Yogananda never said that I am aware of that if you don't want to follow him then go out and find a different guru

Secondly. Yogananda promoted jesus so much that is very much in a way totally different than most gurus of the east. The Christian religion is not even practiced heavily in India. It seems to be 5% or so of the population. Before yukteswar meets babaji he goes to the kumba mela and is totally unimpressed. He has the thought that maybe those scientists of the west are more wise than these people. That may show he has a bit of a western outlook in some sense

Third, the past lives of yogananda and SRF gurus seem connected to the Christian religion. Yogananda was a king of France/England and a king of Spain. Babaji is in constant communion with Christ and the SRF gurus where the magi that visited Christ when he was born

Yoganandas mission was stated as to restore a kind of true Christianity. To me it seems like also an element of the ancient prophetic schools of the Bible which where probably never written down but more secretive oral traditions as mentioned by various rabbis. They where secretive for the same reason that Kriya is secretive

I also think of how according to the most ancient traditions the Ganges was one of the rivers of eden. According to the curse stated in genesis the way to the tree of life was hidden in the east side of the garden (and guarded by a cherub) which then would be India

Last edited by kabbalah; 02-15-2018 at 11:19 PM.
kabbalah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:38 AM   #49
lotuspath
Hay hari Sundara

If your stuck in delusion and want to get out of it you need a Guru. That is the reality.

Itís true that a genuine Guru is rare in the world, but there are others. Where they are at currently I cannot say, but historically there has seemingly always been a few incarnate on earth. Of course in our line, Babaji is our deathless guru still incarnate here.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #50
sheoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
You guys can count me in, I really need a refresh.
When I saw your post, I thought - ah, now this journey will run its course* if mccoy is in! I have seen how you have admiringly continued with the SEM through the years. May God and the Gurus bless you, mccoy.

So, when do we start?

* since I am not a native English speaker, I have to sometimes check the meaning of idioms that I use. I checked the meaning for this one and the website says, "If something runs its course or takes its course, it develops naturally and comes to a natural end". The only natural outcome is when we merge with the Spirit...
Old 02-20-2018, 03:54 AM   #51
mccoy
supernal user

Sheoli, I would start as soon as Shannon is ready to set the new section up, although the objection of waiting for the new lessons is reasonable.

But we really don't know when they'll be ready and how they'll reach us, so there si a possibility that we may wait a long(ish) time.

A reasonable proposal might be to start up at a moderate pace, if in the meanwhile the new lessons come up we may start back from the 1st new one, it's sure going to be a complete review.

@ Shannon: does the secrecy vow refers to the techniques only? Surely the lessons must not be publicly disseminated, although not sharing nor discussing the lessons with other SRF members might sound excessive.
I have not the reference from Master nor from SRF, I'll try and look for'em.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:15 AM   #52
sulmonte

Quote:
@ Shannon: does the secrecy vow refers to the techniques only? Surely the lessons must not be publicly disseminated, although not sharing nor discussing the lessons with other SRF members might sound excessive.
I have not the reference from Master nor from SRF, I'll try and look for'em.
Why dont you talk to MC about this.
sulmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:57 AM   #53
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulmonte View Post
Why dont you talk to MC about this.
For a second I processed your sentence: 'Why don't you talk with McCoy about this', which was funny.

Then the Mother Center interpretation unfolded.

It would sure be the best, I don't know if they'll answer to emails though, and who should ask them, the administrator (Shannon) or a moderator?
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:06 AM   #54
sulmonte

Quote:
For a second I processed your sentence: 'Why don't you talk with McCoy about this', which was funny.

Then the Mother Center interpretation unfolded.

It would sure be the best, I don't know if they'll answer to emails though, and who should ask them, the administrator (Shannon) or a moderator?
You can call or Shannon and ask for a call back - they will make an appointment with you or her. All the best McCoy....OM
sulmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM   #55
Delsol
Administrator

The secrecy refers to even discussing the Lessons; but 'secrecy' is not the reason behind not discussing them. It has more to do with devotees misinterpreting passages and debating their meanings in ongoing conversations (which may be more confusing than clarifying - unless we have a monk present?)
So! I will resurrect this group over the weekend. Anyone interested in joining please contact me in a PM. Thank you!

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM   #56
जय गुरु

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbalah View Post
I had some of the lessons in a binder and some in a box. I moved several years ago to a new house. In the process of moving I am not sure where they are or can't remember if I had seen them a while ago but I was thinking about it the other day. Since they mailed a few pages every two weeks it was hard to keep track of them at least it seemed at the time. The part of the lessons that solved some of the mystery to me was the kriya part because prior to that I was unsure. Apparently there are kriya books online. I was thinking of ordering one but I found a free PDF book called "kriya yoga: synthesis of a personal experience " by Ennio Nimis. He apparently was a disciple or influenced by yogananda as the book does mention yogananda. I haven't read the book but I downloaded it onto my tablet. It is 84 pages
I honestly would stay away from Ennio's work. After leaving SRF he practiced kriya under many different gurus (I would say all of them charlatans) and then wrote a book that is a mish mash of techniques from different gurus. I don't think you will find it helpful.

He is also critical of SRF, which may upset you.
जय गुरु is online now   Reply With Quote