A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Sacred Places

Old 09-03-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
TSV Raghavan

Om Namah Shivay

North is meditative Meditation is a form of mental Yoga. Lord Shiva is
called Yogaraj that is king of Yoga. Lord Shiva is perpetually in Mount Kailash
which is a part of the Himalayas. Himalayas the greatest mountain ranges in
the world are in the north of India.

Monks, sages and spiritualists have for time immemorial used the numerous
caves in the mighty Himalayas to meditate on god. In fact the spiritual
kingdom of Sambhala is supposed to be located there.

Yogavatar Lahiri Mahasaya met Mahavatar Babaji near a cave in Himalayas in 1861. And that was the beginning of Kriya Yoga. Sohom Swami aka Tiger Swami met his own spiritual teacher Swami Tibeti Baba and came to Himalayas to meditate. Later he constructed two Ashrams on the foothills of the mountain ranges in Nainital and Almora. It was in the Ashram in Almora that he met Nirlamba Swami.

Swami Pranabananda built an Ashram in or near the Himalayas.

It is said that even now some highly advanced sages are in the Himalayas in their subtle bodies.

Two extremely religious places Haridwar (doorway to god) and Hrishikesh (Lord Krshna) are at the foot of Himalayas. Other religious areas are Allahabad, and Varanasi aka Kashi which are in Uttarpradesh which is north India.

The holy Kumbh fair which takes place every twelve years takes place in Allahabad and Hrishikesh.
TSV Raghavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:40 AM   #2
sulmonte

I do put a video about India here in this thread. It is from Joey who used to be also a member of this board - or is he still around? India is always an adventure.

https://youtu.be/92txm_7uznw
sulmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
sulmonte

Hindu Temple to be build in Abu Dhabi!
https://www.facebook.com/MEAINDIA/po...eply&ref=notif
Old 02-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulmonte View Post
I do put a video about India here in this thread. It is from Joey who used to be also a member of this board - or is he still around? India is always an adventure.

https://youtu.be/92txm_7uznw
Confirms what I feel - absolutely no desire to go to India ....didn't Master, or someone say "why go to India, the best of India has come to America already" (or something along those lines.

In my younger, more adventurous days maybe (but I wasn't really following the path yet).....instead of India pilgrimage, here are my preferences:

1) Convocation
2) Hidden Valley or Encinitas retreat (have not done this yet-stayed at Encinitas for 2 days after my 1rst Convo))
3) stay at Kairos - where our group has local retreats - has separate A-frame cabins and trailers - run by 2 sweet, devout Catholic sisters...has a wonderful aura of peace, animals like hummingbirds, wild turkeys, etc which don't seem afraid of people...a haven of peace and the beauty of nature up in the hills, just a few miles from hustle and bustle
Old 02-11-2018, 04:38 AM   #5
sulmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1yogi View Post
Confirms what I feel - absolutely no desire to go to India ....didn't Master, or someone say "why go to India, the best of India has come to America already" (or something along those lines.

In my younger, more adventurous days maybe (but I wasn't really following the path yet).....instead of India pilgrimage, here are my preferences:

1) Convocation
2) Hidden Valley or Encinitas retreat (have not done this yet-stayed at Encinitas for 2 days after my 1rst Convo))
3) stay at Kairos - where our group has local retreats - has separate A-frame cabins and trailers - run by 2 sweet, devout Catholic sisters...has a wonderful aura of peace, animals like hummingbirds, wild turkeys, etc which don't seem afraid of people...a haven of peace and the beauty of nature up in the hills, just a few miles from hustle and bustle
Well Mike it might be different for each - I do have sophisticated friends from Paris who do stay 6 months a year in India since decades (at an ashram). Also devotees mostly like visits at Master's hermitages. I wanted to go to India last year, did not work out. I have been in India often for business 25 years ago and loved it. But stayed in good hotels where I did eat. Never got sick, went to places alone. I felt truely at home. India is everything. I do remember that I loved the air when leaving the aircraft and felt like kneeling down. I always felt that India was peace even in the midst of poor regions. For me - whatever Master has in store...is fine.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
sulmonte

We celebrate Shiva's Night today....in India and all over the globe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adyjwFgXRNY
Old 02-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #7
Adhikari
आत्मन्

Old 02-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulmonte View Post
Well Mike it might be different for each - I do have sophisticated friends from Paris who do stay 6 months a year in India since decades (at an ashram). Also devotees mostly like visits at Master's hermitages. I wanted to go to India last year, did not work out. I have been in India often for business 25 years ago and loved it. But stayed in good hotels where I did eat. Never got sick, went to places alone. I felt truely at home. India is everything. I do remember that I loved the air when leaving the aircraft and felt like kneeling down. I always felt that India was peace even in the midst of poor regions. For me - whatever Master has in store...is fine.
I know Sulmonte, true.

I'm probably a bit biased against because, 1, although I'm pretty healthy, my legs can't take walking long distances, and 2 , what my friend from our local SRF circle told me:

My friend went to India with another member of our group about 25-30 years ago. He mentioned traveling by bus up to Dwarahut ashram by Babaji's cave, called it a bus trip from hell, bumpy winding roads, and all the little Indian guys were filling the bus with smoke lol....and then after getting to ashram he was relieved, he thought now, get out of the cold, have a nice rest, etc.....lol, the rooms they were given, maybe whole ashram, no heat! The beds were just wood slats (they brought air mattresses, but he said it was cold, slept in a sleeping bag with clothes on.

He also mentioned getting sick, no plumbing etc...

I don't know, just doesn't sound appealing to me....but I'm sure the vibrations there are wonderful....and like you, if Guruji really wants me to go to India, I will...but probably not otherwise.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
mike1yogi

Sulmonte, thanks for the stories of your India experiences....if Master wants you to go back to India, he'll arrange things for you.....Master bless you!
Old 02-16-2018, 11:55 PM   #10
simple

Sulmonte, I am glad I got to read your experiences in India. It was really very beautiful. You went there with so much devotion to Guruji and as a result everything seemed to be tinged with his presence and blessings. What a wonderful way to travel to his homeland.

Mike,
I totally understand your contentment with just going to the convocation and retreats. Babaji does say, there is no need to come to his cave, and that we can instead visit him in his cave in the spiritual eye.

I do want to make some observations that might be interesting for you and helpful for others who may wish to travel to India. Your friend's experience to Dwarahat was correct. It was like that 20-25 years ago and perhaps still is in those rural mountainous locales. India is a tough country to travel to, even for seasoned travelers who are used to rough and tumble travelling.

A trip to India can be experienced in the roughest (cheapest) manner possible or can be eased by indulging in some very reasonably priced "luxuries". It was so back then 25 years ago and it is so today too. If one is willing to spend money in India like one would when travelling to Europe, then one would have a fairly equitable experience in India, even in these rural areas.

Back 25 years ago, India did not have as many flight connections between Indian cities as it does today. So writing this from today's point of view, one could fly from Delhi to Pantnagar, which is at the foothills of the Himalayas closest to Dwarahat. From Pantnagar, one can hire a private taxi, that will be all yours during your excursion from Pantnager to Dwarahat and back. The trip is only 150 km or 90 miles one way. Private taxis are very reasonably priced, have modern conveniences, a/c, heater, music, etc., and you will get to know your driver and make a connection to someone in India. The flight round trip will be roughly $150, and the private taxi roughly $100. Alternatively, one could also just hire a private taxi from Delhi to Dwarahat, might be a few extra dollars and may end up with about the same time spend to get there, due to not having to wait for connecting flights, etc.

Once you arrive at Dwarahat, there is not much that can be done regarding the meager facilities at the ashram, since this is a remote destination and a spiritual monastic ashram. I was there about 25 years ago, and at that time it did have running water and electricity, but there was no heating and the accommodations were hostel type, so no individual rooms with private toilets, etc. I doubt this has changed, as this is a very typical accommodation for an Indian ashram. One can avoid the cold nights, by visiting this location during the hottest times here, which would be July, August, September. Great months to visit since it is also the months when Babaji's day and Janmastami occurs. One only needs to stay here for one night. The next day, trip to Babaji's cave. Much has been developed here for the trek to the cave. 25 years ago, it was all just a narrow dirt trail through the mountains, but I did see a you tube video where this was all mostly paved with resting areas. And Sulmonte mentioned that a vehicle can get up quite close to the cave now, so devotees don't have to trek hardly at all. After your trek to Babaji's cave, your private taxi will take you back to Pantnagar, and then back to Delhi. Or will it be Calcutta or Ranchi instead?

Last edited by simple; 02-17-2018 at 12:40 AM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #11
sulmonte

Thanks - will save your travel advices. Maybe we could put more in a different link

Last edited by sulmonte; 02-18-2018 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #12
simple

I will create a thread about travelling to India. On that thread, people can inquire about other locations they are interested in and I can share some info about it.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:38 AM   #13
sulmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
I will create a thread about travelling to India. On that thread, people can inquire about other locations they are interested in and I can share some info about it.
Great - this will be so helpful since the guided tours now are up to USD 8000,00 for 3 weeks all included !!!!

Last edited by sulmonte; 02-18-2018 at 07:05 AM.