A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Magic of Music

Old 11-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
simple

Any fans of The Cure here?

I love this English band, called The Cure. They were a huge part of helping me through the times of inquiry and searching for what life was all about, and their music really appealed and spoke to my feelings of desperation, longing, and being lost in this world. I used to wonder what the meaning of life and existence on this earth was, and no one seemed to be able to answer my questions, so I was lucky enough to find this music, which though it did not answer my questions and my searching, the music reciprocated my yearning and kept me going onward with my search and inquiry. Soon, in a couple of years, I found Guruji and came on this path.

Here is the album that I listened to almost everyday back in those days called Disintegration.

Hope this embeds.

https://youtu.be/YSaNXpD49Qw?t=4s
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
Stream
meds twice daily

Not quite my time, but I remember 17 seconds around the time when music was being reinvented (Police etc). It's great how a record can open the door to the spiritual realm. I think it only happens when something that is already there is being stirred by the music.

"The darkness of maya is silently approaching. Let us hie homeward within." - Swami Sri Yukteswar
Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:00 AM   #3
simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream View Post
Not quite my time, but I remember 17 seconds around the time when music was being reinvented (Police etc). It's great how a record can open the door to the spiritual realm. I think it only happens when something that is already there is being stirred by the music.
I got to know their earlier albums, 17 Seconds, and Faith, after my intro to them via the Disintegration album. I love the melancholy in their music and the singer's voice having that desperate yearning and inner cry in it. I have been revisiting their music recently after decades of not listening to any music really and it stirs something deep still. And I thought it would be good to spiritualize this into learning to talk and sing to God with that yearning. Then I also thought about how it would effect our hearts and souls to hear Sri Ramprasad and Guruji when they sang with tears of longing for Divine mother, what pangs of melancholy and yearning must have filled their songs. If we could hear Guruji singing like that, like Mrinalini Ma and Daya Ma talk about, it would bring tears to our eyes, I think. We get a tiny glimpse of this in Guruji's Bengali rendition of "What lightning flash", but it is only a couple of minutes long.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
Delsol
Administrator

Love the Cure - very special. Still get lost on YouTube in some of their older works. <3 Got to see them live at RedRedrocks (Colorado) sometime around the year 2000. It was bittersweet, their zest had waned by then; Robert Smith seemed tired and not well, but he was still magical.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #5
simple

So glad to find a Cure fan here among SRF devotees.

I too got to see them in Denver, Colorado. It was during their tour for the Disintegration album in 1989, but this concert was not held at the Redrocks amphitheathre. I was lucky in that they were at their prime then. It was actually my one and only concert attendance ever. I had a great time.

Yea, it is so easy to spend a few hours watching them live on you tube. I too favor this older stuff, Disintegration and prior. Their later work has some really good songs still, but the whole albums are not the same as their previous ones.

Robert Smith seems like a very nice and sensitive person. He says that he loves reading and will read anything that comes into his hands, and that once he starts reading, he cannot put the book away till he finishes it, no matter how awful the book is. He says it is a curse he has. hehe. I have been contemplating how to send him the AY. Maybe, it will answer some of his life's questions, if he is still searching for them.