A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Inspirational Texts

Old 11-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
rasa
The it one

Oil Cup

Once egoism entered the Sage Narada’s heart. He imagined that there was no devotee like him. Knowing this, the Lord said to him: “O Narada! Go down to the earth. There is a great devotee of Mine there. Get to know him and his virtues and come back. It will do you good.” “Well,” said Narada to himself, “I shall do as the Lord bids me. I shall go and find out what special virtues that devotee has. Can there be a greater devotee than myself? Let me see this wonder.” Narada then went down to the earth. He saw a farmer in a certain house. Soon after getting up in the morning, the farmer uttered the name of Hari once and went to his field carrying his plough on his shoulder. He laboured the whole day in the field and then returned home. Again before going to bed, he uttered Hari’s name. Narada saw all this and exclaimed, “So, this man is a greater devotee than I, is he?” and laughed within himself. He waited to see what the man did the next day. The farmer uttered Hari’s name again on getting up, then went to his field and, after toiling the whole day, came home and, after uttering God’s name once, went to bed. “Is this all?” thought Narada, and returned to Vishnu’s heaven. Addressing Vishnu, Narada said, “I have seen your devotee. He does not seem to me to be such a great devotee. His mind is absorbed in his work in the field. You seem to have sent me to him only to make fun of me!” Vishnu replied, “O Narada, take this cup in your hand.” The sage received the oil cup that God gave him. Vishnu added, “This cup is brimful of oil. Take care! Take this with you and go round the earth once. See that while you go round, not even a drop of oil is spilt.” Narada did as the Lord told him. He came back triumphant, taking care not to spill even a drop. “So, you have come back. That is good, but tell me, please, how often did you think of me when you went round the world?” asked the Lord. “O God! How could I think of You? You bade me go round without spilling even a drop of this oil. That was hard enough for me,” said Narada. “Sage, you were unable to think of me as all your thoughts were fixed on this oil cup. If that is the plight of a Jnani like you, consider the position of that poor farmer. Bearing the heavy burden of his family, does he not utter my name at least twice a day? Do you now understand the quality of his devotion?” said the Lord. And Narada felt ashamed rather than proud of himself. * * * * * If the mind is caught up by the enticements of sex and wanders about, or if we are lost in sensuous desires, we must cry halt and turn the mind to good thoughts. This effort may be futile at first. Then we must seek God’s aid, looking on Him as our friend or father or mother, utter His name and beseech Him to save us from our sins. We must keep Devi before our mind’s eye and bow to Her as we would to our mother. Uttering the names of Rama, Vasudeva, Govinda will help us. To wash out the impurities of the mind, the various names of the Lord will help us like so many life-giving medicines. Some one once said to the Paramahamsa, “I do not feel any joy in recounting the names of the Lord, why?” The Paramahamsa replied: “My man, pray to God. Weep before Him and pray: ‘Give me the joy of recounting your name.” God will fulfil your prayer. ‘My Mother, My Father, O Krishna, Rama, Sita, Gopala, Govinda, Mahadeva, O Lord Siva,’ any of these names will do. Keep uttering that name every day. By degrees you will find sweetness in it. When you are ill, you do not find your food palatable at first. Gradually you feel a taste for it. That is a sign of the cure.” God and His name are not different from each other. You know that Sri Krishna was weighed. Seated on one pan of the balance was Krishna. Rukmini placed a tulasi leaf and the Lord’s name on the other which now was lower than the pan with Krishna himself on it. As Chaitanya said, “The Lord’s name is like a seed. The seed that lies on a pillar in a palace may lie idle there for many years. The building may fall down in ruins. Then that seed will fall on the ground and get into the soil. When rain falls on it, it will sprout into a plant and grow into a tree laden with flowers and fruit. God’s name will never go in vain.”
Old 12-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
sheoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa View Post
* * * * * If the mind is caught up by the enticements of sex and wanders about, or if we are lost in sensuous desires, we must cry halt and turn the mind to good thoughts. This effort may be futile at first. Then we must seek God’s aid, looking on Him as our friend or father or mother, utter His name and beseech Him to save us from our sins. We must keep Devi before our mind’s eye and bow to Her as we would to our mother. Uttering the names of Rama, Vasudeva, Govinda will help us. To wash out the impurities of the mind, the various names of the Lord will help us like so many life-giving medicines. Some one once said to the Paramahamsa, “I do not feel any joy in recounting the names of the Lord, why?” The Paramahamsa replied: “My man, pray to God. Weep before Him and pray: ‘Give me the joy of recounting your name.” God will fulfil your prayer. ‘My Mother, My Father, O Krishna, Rama, Sita, Gopala, Govinda, Mahadeva, O Lord Siva,’ any of these names will do. Keep uttering that name every day. By degrees you will find sweetness in it.”
This is a treasure
Old 12-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
Dave

Names might give joy by repeating them, but would become insipid to an alien culture, and even boring after a while, unless God was really going to respond to incessant chanting.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I just did!
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #4
sulmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Names might give joy by repeating them, but would become insipid to an alien culture, and even boring after a while, unless God was really going to respond to incessant chanting.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I just did!
Dave you are truely turning in circles. Your mind attitude is somehow negative. You should work on this, you seem not to give a chance to higher attitudes.

All is vibration in the cosmos, all is connected. Frequency of mindful affirmations do uplift one into the the higher spectrum of consciousness. Names are connected to vibrational presences - concentration does create different patterns of reality. The story above has much to teach us. Please do refrain from cynical remarks from time to time. I do mean that most of us here do not mind but in the higher realms these constant remarks of disbelieve might creat disharmony for you. All words and thoughts do leave an imprint in the cosmos.

IDF

PS. You tell that you are a member of SRF since 18 years - do you consider PY as your Guru. Have you Kriya?
sulmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulmonte View Post
Dave you are truely turning in circles. Your mind attitude is somehow negative. You should work on this, you seem not to give a chance to higher attitudes.

All is vibration in the cosmos, all is connected. Frequency of mindful affirmations do uplift one into the the higher spectrum of consciousness. Names are connected to vibrational presences - concentration does create different patterns of reality. The story above has much to teach us. Please do refrain from cynical remarks from time to time. I do mean that most of us here do not mind but in the higher realms these constant remarks of disbelieve might creat disharmony for you. All words and thoughts do leave an imprint in the cosmos.

IDF

PS. You tell that you are a member of SRF since 18 years - do you consider PY as your Guru. Have you Kriya?
I didn't mean to be negative but perhaps a quote from Jesus will help to elucidate my meaning here. Jesus said, "Do not use vain repititions as the heathen do when they pray". This can be taken in two senses. First, rote prayer with the mind absent in concentration upon God. And two, chanting in place of prayer or using beads like a rosary.

I used to consider PY to be my guru until I had an experience of Jesus. So I seem to be stuck and confused somewhat because I like PY's teachings and think by and large there is a lot of truth in them. However, the spiritual experience I had of Jesus and the Bible has revealed to me a totally different conception and dimension of what spiritual reality actually is compared to what I used to think when I meditated for all those years. And yes I did practice Kriya yoga. I had a dream of PY that was a type of darshan initiation. PY does come to those in dreams and initiates them. SRF refused to give me the lessons for ridiculous reasons that went on for a few years. In the end I told them to take me off their list and forget about me. So I won't hear the charge that I haven't been properly initiated just because I wasn't given the SRF lessons by SRF. I got the Lessons through other means anyway. I have had many experiences of Yogananda in various different ways, through dreams, through coincidences, in meditation as audible voices etc. But none of these experiences was of God in my opinion.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:01 AM   #6
sulmonte

Quote:
I didn't mean to be negative but perhaps a quote from Jesus will help to elucidate my meaning here. Jesus said, "Do not use vain repititions as the heathen do when they pray".
I do think that we are above this. Of course Jesus was right but people truely looking for God are not lost in vain repetitions. You are a clever intellectual discussion partner but also clever in turning things around into a different direction. Reminds me of inquisition - sorry pal!

IDF
Old 12-04-2017, 07:10 AM   #7
Dave

Quote:
I do think that we are above this. Of course Jesus was right but people truely looking for God are not lost in vain repetitions. You are a clever intellectual discussion partner but also clever in turning things around into a different direction. Reminds me of inquisition - sorry pal!

IDF
No I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with you here. I am not trying to be clever and turn things around. I made myself extremely clear on the point that vain REPITITIONS was what Jesus denounced. He even used the word "heathen" which, at his time, meant the pagans in the rest of the world. It is very explicit. Not something I am making up but something Jesus himself said.

I have no idea what you mean by it reminding you of the inquisition.

You didn't respond to anything else I said either. You asked me about Kriya so I assume you wanted to know more and talk about that.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
sulmonte

Quote:
No I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with you here. I am not trying to be clever and turn things around. I made myself extremely clear on the point that vain REPITITIONS was what Jesus denounced. He even used the word "heathen" which, at his time, meant the pagans in the rest of the world. It is very explicit. Not something I am making up but something Jesus himself said.

I have no idea what you mean by it reminding you of the inquisition.

You didn't respond to anything else I said either. You asked me about Kriya so I assume you wanted to know more and talk about that.
What shall I say. You told everything. Why dont you stick now with the catholic church....it is a good path with many holy people- it does seem that Jesus will bring you to God. OM
Old 12-04-2017, 07:26 AM   #9
Dave

Quote:
What shall I say. You told everything. Why dont you stick now with the catholic church....it is a good path with many holy people- it does seem that Jesus will bring you to God. OM
I don't subscribe to Catholicism. I was brought up in it, left it when I was 12, read Yogananda when I was 19, stayed on that path until I was 34, experienced God after that. Catholicism contains lots of pagan mixing and things that are additions to the Bible that aren't warranted. I'm glad I got away from it at such an early age.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:06 AM   #10
simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa View Post
Paramahamsa replied: “My man, pray to God. Weep before Him and pray: ‘Give me the joy of recounting your name.” God will fulfil your prayer. ‘My Mother, My Father, O Krishna, Rama, Sita, Gopala, Govinda, Mahadeva, O Lord Siva,’ any of these names will do. Keep uttering that name every day. By degrees you will find sweetness in it. When you are ill, you do not find your food palatable at first. Gradually you feel a taste for it. That is a sign of the cure.”
How I do Japa:

My japa is primarily during meditation. After Kriya practice, I do japa of Om Guru. Initially, I visualize Guruji meditating in front of me in the Spiritual eye, I bow at his feet and then sit and meditating before him, and keep repeating Om Guru, mentally. I try to keep the visualization of him and the japa going. After a while, when feeling some contentment from this, I talk, pray, affirm, etc., and finish my meditation with praying for others.

Some of my experiences with Japa:

Sometimes saying Om Guru, Om Guru, Om Guru gets complicated, that is, my mind tries to visualize Guruji and still think of Om and Guru. When this happens, I tell myself to stop it, that I don't need to visualize anything, that simply the vibrations of Om Guru is all powerful, that I just need to do the Japa. Once the mental gymnastics and complications go away, then I go on with my usual Japa.

Sometimes when my mind is still restless after Kriyas or when Om Guru seems to be boring and dry, my Japa is hard to practice. So I speed up the tempo of my mental Japa, and instead of Om Guru, I simply do Guru or Guruji as it rolls a bit faster, I do this very, very fast for a few minutes, then I am able to switch over to the normal tempo and revert back to Om Guru, and the restlessness or boredom disappears somehow and I am able to concentrate better.

The after meditation effects of doing japa is that when I am not mentally exerting myself, my mind starts going Om Guru, Om Guru, on its own. Examples of this are when I am driving, cooking, cleaning, going to sleep, waking up, etc. On rare occasions, I have had experiences where I am doing Japa in my sleep, and these are really beautiful spiritual experiences to cherish. In this sense, just 5 - 20 minutes of Japa in meditation, results in automatic Japa when idle.

When I am in a difficult situation, my mind will automatically start doing Om Guru, Om Guru japa. Examples are: someone is being unreasonable with me, I am afraid of something, and such.

Many times, I have had a hankering thought come to me, saying, you are so silly doing Japa after Kriyas, and tries to subvert my habit and tries to minimize these two words, "Om Guru", and gives me ideas of doing something different that is still spiritual. I have listened to this a few times, and each time I have found that my meditations and spiritual life suffer as a result. Then I return back to my established routine of Japa after Kriyas. This hankering thought still comes occasionally, and I have come to see this thought as a negative force and try to ignore it now.

I wanted to share with you the beauty of japa in my life. In a sense, Japa is a very simple prayer. It does not ask for anything. It simply says, Lord, Lord, you, you, you, you!!!!!
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #11
rasa
The it one

Quote:
I didn't mean to be negative but perhaps a quote from Jesus will help to elucidate my meaning here. Jesus said, "Do not use vain repititions as the heathen do when they pray". This can be taken in two senses. First, rote prayer with the mind absent in concentration upon God. And two, chanting in place of prayer or using beads like a rosary.
Ramakrishna says the same thing, with a little more clarification;

“A Vaishnav goswāmi was seated in the room. The Master said to him: “Well, what do you say? What is the way?” GOSWĀMI: “Sir, the chanting of God’s name is enough. The scriptures emphasize the sanctity of God’s name for the Kaliyuga.” MASTER: “Yes, there is no doubt about the sanctity of God’s name. But can a mere name achieve anything, without the yearning love of the devotee behind it? One should feel great restlessness of soul for the vision of God. Suppose a man repeats the name of God mechanically, while his mind is absorbed in ‘woman and gold’. Can he achieve anything? Mere muttering of magic words doesn’t cure one of the pain of a spider or scorpion sting. One must also apply the smoke of burning cow-dung.”
Old 12-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #12
thisbody

Every breath, love.

It is, what He recommends.

thisbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #13
paulo

My understanding of being able to efficaciously Practice the Presence--in the form of a mantra or Japa during the day--has to start with the foundation or launch pad of a deep meditation in the morning. Basically, it's a matter of snatching back some of the bliss from the morning meditation. Daya Ma said that when our minds inevitably drift to worldly concerns during the day, we need to withdraw for a few moments of Japa Yoga to re-capture some of that bliss and peace from the morning meditation. Then we can stay in the Presence gained for sometimes an extended period of time until our minds drift off again when we can repeat the process as many times during the day as necessary.

Brother Lawrence, in the "Practice of the Presence of God," was in a continual state of bliss in whatever he was doing, but he seems to have entered that incarnation already in a high state of spirituality, probably from deep meditation in previous lifetimes.

Practicing the Presence of God,"
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote