A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Supportive Friendship

Old 10-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
glenninindy

Location: Somewhere in the well-known, often discussed, but as yet to my mind, unexplained universe.
Need advice about online humiliation

What can you do to feel better about yourself when an old thread is resurrected, and people you admire on the site is reading some..i can't find a better word than stupid thoughts about a topic you posted on several years ago? I can't do my prayers today because I feel so embarrassed.
Many of our once wise-guy thoughts regarding GOD and spirituality can always come back and kick you in the pants when you hang them online :(
glenninindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Adhikari
आत्मन्

Can you delete them?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
sheoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
What can you do to feel better about yourself when an old thread is resurrected, and people you admire on the site is reading some..i can't find a better word than stupid thoughts about a topic you posted on several years ago? I can't do my prayers today because I feel so embarrassed.
Many of our once wise-guy thoughts regarding GOD and spirituality can always come back and kick you in the pants when you hang them online :(
Yes, you should be able to delete them if you are referring to posts on this forum. If you need help, I am sure Shannon will help you.

Remember, that was in the past. You have moved on and you are not those posts...
Old 10-07-2017, 03:55 AM   #4
Stream
meds twice daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
Quote:
“Forget the past. The vanished lives of all men are dark with many shames. Human conduct is ever unreliable until anchored in the Divine. Everything in future will improve if you are making a spiritual effort now.” - Sri Yukteswar
What is embarrassing about moving on from ignorance of the past? Isn't that what Yoga is about? It's a good thing, reason to rejoice.

If it would make you feel better, when someone pulls up on old topic you can always add that you have moved on from that view. Until we have reached the end we are all fools. But that is not a reason to feel ashamed. Rather, it is that realization that brought us to the path and is a driving force.

"The darkness of maya is silently approaching. Let us hie homeward within." - Swami Sri Yukteswar
Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:01 AM   #5
mccoy
supernal user

glenninindy, if it is this forum, you can simply click the 'edit' button and delelte the embarrasing posts (maybe they are not so in view of teh others though). Pls note that if you were the original poster and delete your first post then the whole thread will be deleted (that might not be a respectful deletion).

You may also post again and explain what you feel about your prior old posts, I'd probably do this.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
rasa
The it one

Some people just like to argue. Remember that if they were to win you over to their way of thinking that would ruin it for them - there would be nothing left to argue about.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
yogagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa View Post
Some people just like to argue. Remember that if they were to win you over to their way of thinking that would ruin it for them - there would be nothing left to argue about.
I love that thought. Useful for not taking one's own arguments too seriously, too!
Thanks, Rasa

Last edited by yogagirl; 10-18-2017 at 04:07 PM.
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
Delsol
Administrator

Do not worry about it, truly. Maybe God intended you to see - to remind you to celebrate whatever changes you've gone through! Surely if it was a spiritual board, people would understand. Smile, make a little comment if you cannot delete it if such makes you feel better, but most people probably won't think twice about it. You shouldn't either! Love and compassion to you!
Old 10-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #9
simple

Lots of good suggestions. Here is another suggestion. You could comment on that thread that gets resurrected and write about how the original thought no longer applies, and how you have moved on from it or how you have changed, or how it was a momentary flash of mindless words that were somehow important then and meaningless now. We can all relate to such things, because we are no longer the past. Even Bro Anandamoyji - he spoke about how a test was so horrible and painful and then when the test was finished, he couldn't recall what the big difficulty was about it after all. It is all training in humility. How wonderful that Guruji cares so much about us that he gives us the opportunities to develop it.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:14 AM   #10
kabbalah

meditate on the mantra: "I should learn from my mistakes without considering myself bad or inadequate for having made them"

You can not change the past or avoid making mistakes in life.
kabbalah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #11
paulo

wonderful comments. I also saw this quote recently on FB: and if this is true for someone with the worst of karma, think how much more efficacious it would be for someone like you with very good karma.

“‘Even he with the worst of karma who ceaselessly meditates on Me quickly loses the effects of his past bad actions. Becoming a high-souled being, he soon attains perennial peace. Know this for certain: the devotee who puts his trust in Me never perishes!’”
(Bhagavad Gita Chapter IX, verses 30–31.)
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote