A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Yoga and Meditation

Old 11-17-2017, 03:01 AM   #1
simple

Benefits of Energization Exercises

Yesterday, I was reading the SRF lesson on Divine Healing (s-2, P-38) and came across this sentence on page 4: The SRF Energization Exercises, when practiced regularly and perfectly, will automatically dislodge psychological and physical diseases.

What caught my eye was that the EE will dislodge psychological diseases. This I have never noticed before when reading the lessons, nor have I heard monastics talk about it.

In the lesson, Guruji also mentions what these psychological diseases are: susceptibility to temptation, fear, anger, greed, jealousy, worry, revengefulness, avarice, hate, gossiping, unkindness, mental and physical laziness, discontent, absentmindedness, untrustfulness, melancholia, bigotry, lack of introspection, and lack of self-analysis.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:45 PM   #2
Stream
meds twice daily

The benefits mentioned are the same as for meditation. Good catch!

The Energizations are Master's addition to the science of Yoga. That in itself is HUGE. I've started to wonder if every yoga technique that Master taught, by itself, could not be a way straight to God.

"The darkness of maya is silently approaching. Let us hie homeward within." - Swami Sri Yukteswar
Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:12 AM   #3
yogagirl

Thank you for this valuable reminder. I had missed this, too.
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:43 AM   #4
Stream
meds twice daily

For the record, it was a cat who gave Master the idea for the energizations.

Nothing against dogs...

A cat!

"The darkness of maya is silently approaching. Let us hie homeward within." - Swami Sri Yukteswar
Old 12-05-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
Philippe

Question about EE

Does any one know, beyond the unique creation of Master, were did he find inspiration in the Indian tradition for developping EE ?
What field of Yoga was the source for Master ?
Philippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
Stream
meds twice daily

Durga Mata:

Quote:
Master's wonderful physique was acquired through his own tensing exercises, which he created and developed in India before coming to this country in 1920. He said at that time he tried what he called all kinds of muscle bumping exercises to develop and improve his body strength. He often thought, "There must be some better way of exercising." He continued, "One day I saw a cat awakening from its nap, and immediately upon rising I observed that the cat stretched its body as far as it could and for a long time. I wondered why the cat stretched and what was the stretching doing to its body. I began to stretch myself. Having keen observation power, I discovered that I felt so much more life in my body. The cat had tensed its body; and this experience gave me the idea of my tensing exercises. As I practiced stretching every morning and evening and during the day, I felt such wonderful results; from one improvement after another, it became what I gave in the first Yogoda lessons." In later years Master added more exercises, the same that are now practiced in the SRF lessons that have awakened the world to a new method of exercises.
Stretching would tie into Hatha Yoga, but the inspiration came through a feline friend.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
thisbody

In the world of around 100 years back, there existed a whole movement, having started already in the latter half of the 19th century, developing into the 1930's and much further, in parts until today. The focus of this movement lay mainly on physical fitness, sporting and bodybuilding. Few proponents, such as Alois P. Swoboda had more in mind than physical fitness, extending the benefits of their exercises to a yoga-like and a healing purpose. Swoboda developed a mail-correspondence course (sic), very similar to that of the Yogoda System, as early as 1902 and apparently had a nation wide following in the US, including many very prominent figures, such as president Wilson himself.

Interestingly, Yogananda and his brother Bishnu Charan Ghosh started working with the tensing exercises of will-system and Hatha Yoga in Master's boys school in Ranchi already... I guess the book 'Barbell Exercise and Muscle Control' is known by some of us here:
“Muscle Control and Barbell Exercise” by Keshub Ch. Sen Gupta, B.A. and
Bishnu Charan Ghosh, B.Sc. (1930) – Full text as PDF here.

Mark Singleton, author of the book Yoga Body, and apparently somehow a teacher-disciple of the Bikram School of Yoga that originated in Kolkata through Yoganada's brother Bishnu, and researcher at London university suggests that Master may have made the feline cat up (Stream).

Quote:
A number of unaffiliated Indian yogis operating on the West Coast of America in the early 1920s (as opposed to Westerners posing as Indians) emulate and expand the kind of New Thought-inspired physical culture that we see in Ramacharaka. They include figures like Yogi Gherwal, Yogi Wassan, Yogi Hari Rama, and Bhagwan S. Gyanee. Perhaps the best known “New Thought yogi” of the time, however, is Paramahamsa Yogananda (1893–1952), who would later author the immensely influential Autobiography of a Yogi. In 1923 the Boston Post called Yogananda “the Coué of gymnastics” in reference to Emile Coué’s hugely popular doctrine of positive thought and mental healing. Yogananda’s techniques of muscular isolation through will power were almost certainly borrowed from the work of the world-famous bodybuilder Maxick, and melded discourses of yoga with those of New Thought-inspired physical culture. Yogananada’s brother, Bishnu Charan Ghosh, himself a world-class bodybuilder, developed Maxick’s system of “muscle control” (authoring a book of the same name in 1930) and fused it with a physical culture-oriented Hatha Yoga, which he taught widely. Ghosh’s most famous student is Bikram Choudhury (b. 1946) whose 26 posture system, known as Bikram Yoga, is very popular in the United States, and continues the physical culture orientation of Ghosh’s yoga experiments.*

* Footnote:
More on Ghosh, Yogananda, and the New Thought yogis can be found in Singleton, Mark. 2010. Yoga Body: The origins of modern posture practice. New York: Oxford University Press. (pp. 129–141).

Source:
Transnational Exchange and the Genesis of Modern Postural Yoga by Mark Singleton, in - B. Hauser (ed.), Yoga Traveling, Transcultural Research – Heidelberg Studies on Asia and Europe in a Global Context, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-00315-3_2, © Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2013.
Sorry for the long post, much web-research went into it.

Last edited by thisbody; 12-06-2017 at 02:33 AM.
thisbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
Stream
meds twice daily

That's some good insight into Bishnu. I had no idea he was into body building. The things that went on at 4 Gurpar Road...

Old 12-07-2017, 01:43 AM   #9
Philippe

Many thanks Stream and thisbody for those very important elements
Philippe is offline   Reply With Quote