A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Inspirational Texts > Autobiography of a Yogi

Old 02-17-2007, 12:26 AM   #1
Snow Angel

Ch 10 I Meet My Master, Sri Yukteswar

"Oh my own, you have come to me!" My guru uttered the words again and again in Bengali, his voice tremulous with joy. "How many years I have waited for you!"

We entered a oneness of silence; words seemed the rankest superfluities. Eloquence flowed in soundless chant from the heart of master to disciple. With an antenna of irrefragable insight I sensed that my guru knew God and would lead me to HIm. The obscuration of this life disappeared in a fragile dawn of prenatal memories. Dramatic time! Past, present, and future are its cycling scenes. This was not the first sun to find me at these holy feet!
(page 107)

Last edited by Snow Angel; 04-02-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Snow Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Snow Angel

A lesson in Surrender

Among the many lessons in this chapter, I am drawn to the lesson of surrender to one's guru. This is when, after finally meeting his guru in body for the first time, Sri Yukteswar suggests to Yogananda to return to Calcutta. Master's reply was along of the lines of: I will follow you anywhere, but don't ask me to do that. I seems that he did not want to face his family's laughter and Ananda's possible gloating over being right. Yogananda refuses to comply in one word: "Never." But after meeting his guru, the situation at the first hermitage became uncomfortable to the point that he could not stay there any more, and so he ended up making plans to leave.

I have noticed a similar pattern which I have experienced, too, in following the teachings of the path of Self-Realization. Wanting self-realization but sometimes prefering to follow my ego's path because of some hidden fear or desire--and ending up making myself miserable because of the choice I made. When I recognize my own discomfort, (crankiness, dissatisfaction, feeling out of balance), well, I am starting to recognize these as symptoms of ego guided will!

Last edited by Snow Angel; 03-28-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
Snow Angel

How did you meet your guru?

I thought that this would be an appropriate place to invite you to share with us, if you wish, your own story of how you met your guru, and perhaps how your life has changed since that first meeting, perhaps some of the obstacles you have had to overcome. First thought that comes to your mind.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #4
ashok_razdan

I got married on 22nd september 1990. My wife gifted me autobiography of yogi. I did not read this book for few months. But one day I suddenly started reading and stopped till I finished whole book. I felt so great as if I knew Guru for a long time. It changed whole course of my life. Life was particularly bad in 1990, as we had to leave our homes in Kashmir to save us from islamic terrorism in kashmir. Today after 17 years of association with guru, my outlook to life has changed. I am more calm, more loving,more forgiving and more happy.

jai guru
ashok razdan
ashok_razdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
Snow Angel

Thank you, Ashok, for your post and sharing your story.

Here's mine: I read the Autobiography for the first time in 2004, when I was 46 years of age. I had never heard of Yogananda until that time. I was married 18 years with two children in their early teens. None of them are with SRF, but they have been very supportive of it for me.

I was raised Catholic, and am thankful for that. Despite many efforts, and seeking, though, peace and happiness were elusive to me as an adult. The spiritual practice and teachings given to me through SRF has helped me more than anything to create a more happy and peaceful home life, and within, and I am grateful for that, too.

Last edited by Snow Angel; 04-06-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Joe

I married in April 2001 to a woman I loved more deeply than I had previously thought possible. I had just broken up with my first "girlfriend" and had finally given my grief to God. I remember lying in bed one night speaking with Him. I told him that I wanted someone to love who would love me. The very next day at work, I was buried in stuff to do and was rapidly becoming less of the "nice guy" I try to be, when the phone rang. I picked it up and a woman answered. All my frustrations from the day were instantly gone as this woman told me she and her brother were starting work that day, but their car was having problems and they would be a little late. I hung up the phone feeling refreshed and back in my "nice guy" attitude. The rest of the day was a breeze. We started dating a little while later (she pursued me, as I am totally clueless).
A few months after we were married, I was speaking about religion with her father. I had spent many years of my life searching for the faith for me, but all of them seemed to contradict themselves, i.e. those who believe in Christ and God killing in his name. My father left the table and went into the back room. He returned with a copy of Autobiography of a Yogi, I forget which edition. From the instant I looked at the cover, Guruji's eyes grabbed my soul and I knew I had to know this man. I spent many sleepless nights reading it, and applied for the lessons soon after finishing it. Now, after losing my Self once again for five years, I am ready to take up the fight against maya and sense lures. With God and Guruji's help, I look forward to receiving Kriya and racing home to the Infinite.
I would like to thank you for posting this thread. I am finding it very helpful to be part of any community of other truth seekers. As long as this board and its members remain, I am sure I will not lose my way again. And thank you also for your stories and for those to come. I love hearing about how Guruji has touched other's lives as he has my own.
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
Rosie
God's Little One

Thank you for letting me in on your stories!

Here is mine.
I saw AY at a friend's esoteric bookstore in summer of 2005. I thought Master was a she and for some reason I decided that AY was too strange of a book for me, even though the storekeeper recommended it.
Every time I went in the bookstore I looked at AY and decided it was not for me. But then, in the beginning of Dec 2005 I started feeling that I should read it.
Then almost out of the blue the storekeeper said that her boyfriend had told her to lend me his beloved copy of AY. And I was so ready and thrilled! I went home and started reading. I read five pages at the max and started crying. I felt like I had come home. I didn't almost understand what was happening or who this person behind the book was, I just cried and knew right from the beginning of the book that I wouldn't have to keep looking anymore. It truly felt like home and still does.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Seeker7

I just finished AY within the last few weeks and ordered the Lessons from SRF for self study. I have not been involved with any type of significant spirituality in my life, yet have sought something in my adulthood without success. I am now 35 years old, and had prevously not heard of Yogananda or this revealing book. I believe that we each have an amazing journey ahead of us, and it is up to us to choose the right course of spiritual awareness that leads us further in that journey. I am inspired by the words in AY, and feel that it is powerful yet relevant to each person today.

I look forward to hearing more stories of people on a similar journey.
Seeker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
Blanchflower

I have just finished reading AY for a countless number of times and each reading, I realized new things with insight and clarity. I first read the book in 1996 at the age of 17 and immediately knew that this is the path for me. I have subscribed to the SRF lessons and had received the complete set of lessons already for a few years now.

Countless number of times, I felt the Master's blessings in my difficult life. No doubt, there have been far more unhappy than happy days in my life but if I had not come across this path, I would have most probably commit suicide due to depression. I have now learnt to view life with an even mindedness and not be too attached to external circumstances.

Chapter 43, "The Resurrection of Sri Yukteswar" has proven to be the most important, memorizing and familiar chapter to me. The description of the astral world seemed so familiar when I first read about it. Most of my theological questions were answered when I first came across this chapter. It is truly an inspirational chapter in my opinion.

________
Lincoln Mkx Specifications

Last edited by Blanchflower; 02-22-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Blanchflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:00 AM   #10
mita

Thank you for allowing me to share my story.
My father gifted me AY when I was in my late teens.
I finished it very fast as I felt connected to Guruji.
When I announced my decision to join YSS, there was lot of opposition from my parents. They thought that I am going to become a monk. With much opposition I gave up. May be I was not ready then. Much later in my life I became disciple. There are no regrets.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
mccoy
supernal user

The tiger swami Made me meet the Guru.

I didn't want to read the book when a friend first suggested it to me.

A while after, another friend wanted to lend me the book but again I didn't want to read it. Then he added: "there is a story about a monk fighting tigers bare handed".

That sounded interesting, I was pretty much into fitness so I read the 'tiger swami' chapter first, I was hooked and read the whole book from the beginning.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Greg
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post

A while after, another friend wanted to lend me the book but again I didn't want to read it. Then he added: "there is a story about a monk fighting tigers bare handed".

That sounded interesting, I was pretty much into fitness so I read the 'tiger swami' chapter first, I was hooked and read the whole book from the beginning.
Haha Yogananda was quite clever in writing that book ... he made it appealing on so many levels.

_/|\_ "Cut through the chains of agency and perceive the Single Cause!"

Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
thisbody

Tiger Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post

Quote:
From AOY, 1946 edition:

The Tiger Swami

"I have discovered the Tiger Swami's address. Let us visit him tomorrow."

This welcome suggestion came from Chandi, one of my high school friends. I was eager to meet the saint who, in his premonastic life, had caught and fought tigers with his naked hands. A boyish enthusiasm over such remarkable feats was strong within me.
Finally summoned by the servant, Chandi and I entered a sleeping apartment. The famous Sohong
1 Swami was seated on his bed. The sight of his tremendous body affected us strangely. With bulging eyes, we stood speechless. We had never before seen such a chest or such football-like biceps. On an immense neck, the swami's fierce yet calm face was adorned with flowing locks, beard and moustache. A hint of dovelike and tigerlike qualities shone in his dark eyes. He was unclothed, save for a tiger skin about his muscular waist.

Footnote 1:
Sohong was his monastic name. He was popularly known as the "Tiger Swami."

Here's an article on him in Wikipedia.
Most of the information is coming from the famous
Bengali book 'Baharater Sadhak' (Saints of India).
thisbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
sarika

Enter the portals of the New Year with new hope. Remember you are a child of God. It lies with you as to what you are going to be. Be proud that you are a child of God. What have you to fear? No matter what comes ,believe it is the Lord who is sending that to you, and you must succeed in conquering those daily challenges.Do his will ,nothing can hurt you then.
Meditate more and believe in that strong consciousness that God is always with you regardless of what happens.Then you will see that the veil of delusin will be taken away and you will be one with That which is God. That is how I found my greatest happiness in my life. I am not looking for anything now because I have everything in Him.Never would I part with That whcih is the richest of all the possessions.
This my message to you for the New Year.

-- Guruji, Journey to Self Realization, page 371
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
ashok garekar

every one of us is a potential Tiger Swami...but we never develop to our full potential ..we prefer to remain Rat Swami !
Old 01-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
thisbody

No One Can Limit God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakrsna View Post

Note: It`s more beautiful when the God we refer to in our musings were a Person.

Quote:
Sri Ramakrishna: "With sincerity and earnestness one can realize God through all religions. The Vaishnava will realize God, and so will the Saktas, the Vedantists, and the Brahmos. The Mussalmans and Christians will realize Him too. All will certainly realize God if they are earnest and sincere.

"Some people indulge in quarrels, saying, 'One cannot attain anything unless one worships our Krishna', or, 'Nothing can be gained without the worship of Kali, our Divine Mother', or, 'One cannot be saved without accepting the Christian religion.' This is pure dogmatism. The dogmatist says, 'My religion alone is true, and the religions of others are false.' This is a bad attitude. God can be reached by different paths.

"Further, some say that God has form and is not formless. Thus they start quarrelling. A Vaishnava quarrels with a Vedantist.

"One can rightly speak of God only after one has seen Him. He who has seen God knows really and truly that God has form and that He is formless as well. He has many other aspects that cannot be described.

http://www.writespirit.net/authors/s...can-limit-god/

Quote:
Totapuri, sometimes Tota Puri, was a Parivrajaka, a wandering monk who followed the path of wisdom taught by Advaita Vedanta as well as being the Guru that brought the full fruit of Awakening to Sri Ramakrishna. He was a member of the Naga sect of sannyasins, a highly austere and uncompromising monastic order. Nagas normally live with only "space as clothing" (Digambara), refusing to submit to any comfort the body or mind might enjoy. Totapuri was an adept of the formless reality, the cloudless sky of the absolute. He, like Swami Trailanga, was, it has been claimed by some, to be over 250 years old when he died. He regarded the worship of divine forms as childish. Naked and smeared with ashes, Totapuri strolled through Dakshineswar Temple garden and noticed Ramakrishna seated there, clapping his hands ecstatically and chanting the name of Mother Kali. Totapuri recognized at once that Ramakrishna, despite his appearance as a simple devotee of the Goddess, was inwardly prepared to receive initiation into the knowledge of the absolute, in which all forms and all emotions are left behind.

Totapuri approached Ramakrishna with the proposal that he receive initiation into Advaita Vedanta. Ramakrishna replied, "I must ask my Mother Kali." He entered the temple and received permission from the living divinity that he experienced pulsatiing through the stone image enshrined there. That evening, Totapuri began instructing him in Formless Meditation. But as Ramakrishna concentrated deeply, the radiant figure of the Goddess appeared to his inner eye. When he reported this to Totapuri, the austere naked monk took a sharp stone and pressed it firmly against Ramakrishna's forehead, instructing him to concentrate on the pain and assuring him that he could transcend the divine form and merge into the infinite expanse of the absolute. Once more, Ramakrishna meditated and, as he later expressed it, "with the sword of wisdom, I cut through the divine form of Kali." Her form dissolved, and his individuality completely disappeared into Her formless aspect. For three days Ramakrishna was completely lost to the world in a near state of suspended animation called Nirodha, seated in the small meditation hut, motionless, all breathing and body functions slowed to a standstill.

Totapuri was amazed, because, like the Buddha's brother or cousin Ananda, Totapuri had practiced for forty years to achieve the same level of experience --- nirvikalpa samadhi --- the disappearance of individual identity in the Absolute. It occurred to Ramakrishna in a single sitting.

Ramakrishna remained silent for six days and finally, when he opened his eyes he thanked Totapuri saying "If you had not come, I would have lived my whole life with the hallucination. My last barrier has fallen away." He became Enlightened after he had cut the last barrier. But even the followers of Ramakrishna don't mention the incident because it makes the whole effort of worshipping futile.

Totapuri as an orthodox wandering monk never remained more than three days in one location. However, he became so awed by Ramakrishna's ability in Samadhi to remain 'rigid as a corpse for days on end', that he broke his longstanding rule, resulting in him staying eleven months at Dakshineswar Temple hoping to learn from the man who had previously been his disciple. During this long stay he contracted serious dysentery. There was prolonged and severe pain, which was distracting Totapuri during meditation. Since he considered the body just a medium, essentially unnecessary after the realization of the Absolute, he decided to give up his body by drowning in the Ganges. He walked out into the river, but, even though the river should have been extremely deep, at least in the middle, no matter how far he went the water never got above his knees. He ended up without ever reaching deep water. Eventually he came upon the bank on the far side and when he turned to look back, he saw the Kali temple gleaming in moonlight and experienced a sudden deep Awakening. He recognized sheer divine power and consciousness, moving through all beings and controlling all events, including his own attempt to discard the body. Totapuri thus accepted the manifest universe and its energy as a radiant expression of the Absolute. The demarcation between form and formless no longer existed for him. Although his whole life had been spiritual in nature, Totapuri, without any verbal teaching, had opened beyond he experience of the formless absolute into the continuum of consciousness, from which no divine, human, or natural forms are excluded and to which no particular doctrine exclusively applies.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/.../totapuri.html

The beauty lies in the "eye" of the beholder.

Last edited by thisbody; 01-08-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #17
rasa
The it one

Quote:
Totapuri approached Ramakrishna with the proposal that he receive initiation into Advaita Vedanta. Ramakrishna replied, "I must ask my Mother Kali." He entered the temple and received permission from the living divinity that he experienced pulsatiing through the stone image enshrined there. That evening, Totapuri began instructing him in Formless Meditation. But as Ramakrishna concentrated deeply, the radiant figure of the Goddess appeared to his inner eye. When he reported this to Totapuri, the austere naked monk took a sharp stone and pressed it firmly against Ramakrishna's forehead, instructing him to concentrate on the pain and assuring him that he could transcend the divine form and merge into the infinite expanse of the absolute. Once more, Ramakrishna meditated and, as he later expressed it, "with the sword of wisdom, I cut through the divine form of Kali." Her form dissolved, and his individuality completely disappeared into Her formless aspect. For three days Ramakrishna was completely lost to the world in a near state of suspended animation called Nirodha, seated in the small meditation hut, motionless, all breathing and body functions slowed to a standstill.
Swami Tapasyananda, who is in the disiplic line from Ramakrishna, explains in his translation of Srimad Bhagavata that Sri Krishna is the most complete expression of God. When He came to this world and stayed for 125 years He was everything to everyone He came in contact with. You will not find nearly the amount of literature with praises, descriptions, activities, attributes, etc. of any other manifestation of God than Sri Krishna in the entire Hindu/Vedic pantheon.

In South India He is praised in the teachings of the Alvars and Sri Vaisnavas, in North India by Mirabai and Surdas, and in East India by Sri Chaitanya and the Gaudiya Vaisnava saints. Nowadays, a quick google search may lead one to believe that all the writings about Krishna came from Iskcon, but a deeper search will reveal hundreds if not thousands of writings about Him.

Rather than describing Krishna's form as one that can be "cut through to attain formlessness" Sri Brahma Samhita explains that the very form of Krishna is sat-cid-ananda -"eternal, full of bliss and knowledge".
Elsewhere in Gita Krishna explains that "I am the basis of the eternal [formless] Brahman".

In one sense some of these arguments go back and forth forever for good reason - both formlessness and eternal form are aspects of eternal truth.

Forever..

Last edited by rasa; 01-08-2011 at 07:13 PM.
rasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #18
ashok garekar

The magic of Krishna is beyond arguments...
Old 01-10-2011, 03:25 AM   #19
thisbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa View Post
In one sense some of these arguments go back and forth forever for good reason - both formlessness and eternal form are aspects of eternal truth.

Forever..
Thank you so much!

Jai Truth,
Jai God,
Jai Love, Blessings, and Grace.

Jai Christ,
Jai Krishna -

Old 05-31-2017, 02:48 AM   #20
yogagirl

WOW! Some of these older threads are deeply inspiring, too!
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote