A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Inspirational Texts

Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
Bryon777

Master's Letter to Sister Gyanamata

(I copied this from the most recent SRF Devotee Newsletter.)

GYANAMATA suffered terribly mentally earlier in life, then physically in her later years. She was dying, but Master saved her. In 1943 Master wrote her a letter. Now, as I read it, imagine that Guruji is talking to you:

"You have always depended upon me for guidance, so I write this, as I feel you need me now more than all other times. All the devotion, wisdom, faith, that you matchlessly acquired are being tested now by God. Look how the soldiers are suffering (in World War II), and how Christ suffered on the cross, and how Ramakrishna suffered with the most painful of all human diseases. Christ never forgot the Father. Ramakrishna never prayed for healing or relief. You who are so highly advanced must now use all your spiritual acquirements, that before my eyes you pass this test of God. You are an example to all; so do not be overpowered by suffering or have self-pity, but smile away all your troubles.

"Many years ago, I begged your life from God; so do not throw away what God gave you by wishing to give up your body. To wish to die is to evade the examination of the transcendental soul as to what it has learned from its experiences with the painful flesh. You must finish all the lessons that God wants you to study in this school of life. So smile and remember we all want you to live and be of service to God, to me, and to all, who are so much benefited by your contact.

"Do not tie my hands by negative thoughts, but cooperate and wish to live and be of service to this work as long as a drop of blood remains in your veins.

"My faith in you is ever unshaken. I deeply feel the impact of your test. But no matter how severe your suffering is, you can endure, as have others who had even more severe tests with their bodies day and night in horrible pain. So be thankful to Him who is the Maker of our lives. Do not wish to throw away before your time comes what He has given you. Remember what Draupadi prayed to Krishna, "Lord, I care not what pain or test of punishment you give me, but do not test me with forgetfulness of Thy love."� And this is what I pray for you, that you ever remember and love God, and forget the body. Draw closer to the Divine Mother, even if She beats you with pain.

"As befits your name, keep your gyana, wisdom's light, ever burning during the darkness of this test."
Bryon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
triguybos

Appreciate you posting this reminder from Master, Bryon. Pain and suffering are such powerful distractions to and a toll on one's consciousness. It is during moments of pain and suffering that I think of Him and temporarily forget my body and mind. Such a reprieve if we but attune our consciousness towards Him. It was He who I thought of in my darkest days when I had never previously thought of Him and wished to die, and to realize after the fact that He has been, is, and will always be there for me, no matter what, through good and bad, happy or sad. Like a mother's love for her baby...only infinitely more powerful. Back then, He was the reason I'm still here. Now, He's the reason I continue to live, learn and love.

If one needs evidence of His presence, one has only to visit a hospital or hospice of terminally ill adults or especially children to see their expressed joy in the midst of their trials, as though they have forgotten their condition or at least don't mind it. It's not really about acceptance of their condition but rather endurance and wisdom to see through their condition and to still be happy. It is a beautiful, divine paradox that only when you have nothing left to lose that you have everything to gain...in God.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170612_172756.jpg (202.0 KB, 10 views)
triguybos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
Bryon777

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguybos View Post
Appreciate you posting this reminder from Master, Bryon. Pain and suffering are such powerful distractions to and a toll on one's consciousness. It is during moments of pain and suffering that I think of Him and temporarily forget my body and mind. Such a reprieve if we but attune our consciousness towards Him. It was He who I thought of in my darkest days when I had never previously thought of Him and wished to die, and to realize after the fact that He has been, is, and will always be there for me, no matter what, through good and bad, happy or sad. Like a mother's love for her baby...only infinitely more powerful. Back then, He was the reason I'm still here. Now, He's the reason I continue to live, learn and love.

If one needs evidence of His presence, one has only to visit a hospital or hospice of terminally ill adults or especially children to see their expressed joy in the midst of their trials, as though they have forgotten their condition or at least don't mind it. It's not really about acceptance of their condition but rather endurance and wisdom to see through their condition and to still be happy. It is a beautiful, divine paradox that only when you have nothing left to lose that you have everything to gain...in God.
I could add one more line to the pic:
"BE JOYFUL YOU ARE MADE OF GOD"

Yes, it is a paradox that pain in the body can make us go back to God, as perhaps pleasures fly us away....

I am reminded of what the peerless Jimmy Hughes at Hidden Valley told me:
we progress thru 3 stages; first, we are a "bogi" (from "bogus") who enjoys the flesh; second, we are a "rogi" (from "rogue") who suffers in the flesh; last, we are a "yogi" who transcends the flesh. And all three types stay up late into the night!

But Sister was nothing like a rogue. Just Jimmy's joking.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
triguybos

Lol...bogi, funny! I gotta meet Jimmy next time I am at HV.

As for the allure of pleasure, I get what you mean...quite difficult to be "detached" when you're experiencing pleasure. One easily (albeit momentarily) doesn't think of God in such an experience. I suppose it is the same way when one's experience is pain and suffering especially if it is intense or extreme. More opportunities to practice detachment on both ends of the spectrum of life!
triguybos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #5
Bryon777

Jimmy was already an elderly Hidden Valely resident in the 1980s and passed on a number of years ago. He was old friends with Brothers Achalanandaji and Dharmanandaji even before they were monks, if I remember correctly.