A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Inspirational Texts

Old 09-23-2017, 03:45 AM   #1
yogagirl

question:lotus feet?

Hi,
Sorry, a really dumb question!
But I woke up this morning realising I'd often interpreted the word 'lotus' as just a poetic way of saying 'holy'.
Bowing at the lotus feet of Divine Mother / Guru .....I can understand the need to humble myself....enjoying the sensation of wanting to bow down is one of my favourite aspects of devotional practice at the moment.
However..... I feel I've missed something deep about the lotus flower.
Why the lotus flower, and why linked to the feet rather than a different part of the body?
If someone says: 'I saw the lotus feet of Divine Mother, or of my Guru', do some people actually see lotus flowers???!! Sorry! Getting dumber and dumber!
What does Yoganandaji say about this? and you? Would love to hear from you. what is your experience with lotus feet?
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:56 AM   #2
lotusflower

Smile

The lotusflower rises above the water,but has it's roots in the mud and yet it's purity not effected by the dirt of the mud.
The lotusfeet of the Guru: even though the Guru "walks" on the earth, He's not effected by the play of Maya of the earth. The Guru doesn't lose His Purity by being on earth, He's still one with Cosmic Consiousness. Bowing down at the feet of the Guru, is a sign of deep respect and humbleness (surrendering to the Guru).

IDF, Lotusflower

Last edited by lotusflower; 09-23-2017 at 04:29 AM.
lotusflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:38 AM   #3
yogagirl

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusflower View Post
The beautiful lotusflower rises above the water, has it's roots in the mud and yet is not effected by the dirt of the mud.
The lotusfeet of the Guru, even though the Guru walks on the earth, He's not effected by the play of Maya of the earth (He's still one with God's consiousness). Bowing down at the feet of the Guru, is a sign of deep respect and humbleness.

IDF, Lotusflower (not that I have reach any level yet, but I really like the Lotus)
Thank you, lotus flower, a beautiful interpretation which has increased my understanding.
So...lotusflower = beyond delusion .... the purity to which all devotees aspire, perfect humility being part of this purity.

My conclusion today is therefore to give even more of myself to God and guru....and less of myself to the senses....hmmm....it's so easy to idle one's time away and so difficult to create a poem out of one's life as beautiful as the ideal of the lotus flower.....OK, I have a lot of work to....and my guru still has alot of work to do on me too...!!
Old 09-23-2017, 05:25 AM   #4
sulmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl View Post
Thank you, lotus flower, a beautiful interpretation which has increased my understanding.
So...lotusflower = beyond delusion .... the purity to which all devotees aspire, perfect humility being part of this purity.

My conclusion today is therefore to give even more of myself to God and guru....and less of myself to the senses....hmmm....it's so easy to idle one's time away and so difficult to create a poem out of one's life as beautiful as the ideal of the lotus flower.....OK, I have a lot of work to....and my guru still has alot of work to do on me too...!!
Dont overdo.... ;-)

These days are dedicated to Divine Mother!
http://www.indiaonlinepages.com/festivals/navratri/

Special blessings around - adding Lahiri celebrations and Theres of Lisieux death Sept 30!

Blessed Navarati to all! OM
sulmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #5
lotusflower

Quote:

Most of all are still "work in progress" yogagirl, and life brings about so many challenges. It's good to have an ideal to work for/up to, but don't be too hard on yourself, you never know how far you've already progressed.
Recently read going through life challenges it's better not to think "how bad have I've been in the past" (or how much needs to be done), but to consider one is a brave soul going through test.
One of my favorites from Sri Daya Mataji: "Your Guru is so great, your salvation is already taken care of. All you have to do is put one foot in front of the other".

IDF, Lotusflower

A blessed Navarati to you too, sulmonte
lotusflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
yogagirl

Thank you Lotus Flower and Sulmonte

Old 09-25-2017, 04:59 AM   #7
lotusflower

Many Blessings to you too yogagirl and to everyone
Old 09-26-2017, 08:40 PM   #8
rasa
The it one

Quote:
Hi,
Sorry, a really dumb question!
But I woke up this morning realising I'd often interpreted the word 'lotus' as just a poetic way of saying 'holy'.
Bowing at the lotus feet of Divine Mother / Guru .....I can understand the need to humble myself....enjoying the sensation of wanting to bow down is one of my favourite aspects of devotional practice at the moment.
However..... I feel I've missed something deep about the lotus flower.
Why the lotus flower, and why linked to the feet rather than a different part of the body?
If someone says: 'I saw the lotus feet of Divine Mother, or of my Guru', do some people actually see lotus flowers???!! Sorry! Getting dumber and dumber!
What does Yoganandaji say about this? and you? Would love to hear from you. what is your experience with lotus feet?
Lotusflower explained it already (why shouldn't s/he?), but another way is the lotus is touched by water but never really gets wet. Wax on the surface creates the "lotus effect" of water beading up and gliding off. So the feet are the lowest part of the body, the most likely to get filthy and the feet of a paramahansa are unaffected. Paramahansa - "swan-like" as opposed to "crow-like". Crows love garbage, whereas swans only enjoy clear lakes or streams.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #9
yogagirl

Thank you, Rasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa View Post
Lotusflower explained it already (why shouldn't s/he?), but another way is the lotus is touched by water but never really gets wet. Wax on the surface creates the "lotus effect" of water beading up and gliding off. So the feet are the lowest part of the body, the most likely to get filthy and the feet of a paramahansa are unaffected. Paramahansa - "swan-like" as opposed to "crow-like". Crows love garbage, whereas swans only enjoy clear lakes or streams.
It just so happened I needed a better understanding of the swan, too.
A most auspicious time, as Sulmonte was saying, to be contemplating the purity of the guru
Old 09-29-2017, 05:07 AM   #10
sulmonte

Quote:
It just so happened I needed a better understanding of the swan, too.
A most auspicious time, as Sulmonte was saying, to be contemplating the purity of the guru
Dear Yogagirl, I do send you good vibrations from a blessed region at the great lake ;-). Divine Mother did give me a beautiful place to stay with much peace and bliss.....swans around and boats like swans....but daily life has to go on despite all. Actively calm, calmly adctive. IDF OM SHANTI

PS I try to put a photo...
Old 09-29-2017, 05:15 AM   #11
sulmonte

Photo from my retreat! Reminds me of Encinitas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grünegg1.jpg (116.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by sulmonte; 09-29-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #12
lotusflower

Looks really nice, sulmonte!

IDF
Old 09-30-2017, 01:15 AM   #13
yogagirl

Beautiful, thank you, Sulmonte, for sharing the photo and the good vibes...
I really felt them.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #14
sulmonte

Yes yogagirl, the holy vibration is very strong down there......it is like a different planet somehow. The people of the region have kept a more spiritual approach to life and nature. There is a great purity over the lake. One morning I was crossing by boat, still gentle fog with a hint of the sun behind. It was a bigger ship but we crossed silently few tiny boats in the fog, very astral. I do think that a renewal of Europe - if possible - might come from this area - very old settlements anyhow.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:47 AM   #15
Stream
meds twice daily

Which region is that, sulmonte?

"The darkness of maya is silently approaching. Let us hie homeward within." - Swami Sri Yukteswar
Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #16
sulmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream View Post
Which region is that, sulmonte?
Stream: This is Bodensee or Lake of Constance. It is a truely a magic place as far as magic does exist on the planet. Old settlements already by celtic people, allemanen etc...just read in a museum today about this. It is worth checking.

I just come from the SRF Meditation Circle at Hohenems. I was truely blessed to have a Lahiri Birthday Celebration there tonight. Did not know about this, could not go before. And on top we got gifts from India, devotees have been there for the centennial celebration: a beautiful print of Lahiri from the original only photo and a little orange 'pearl' neckless which they had dipped in the Ganges and later took it before Lahiri at his shrine in Benares.

Very sweet devotees and great landscape - water and mountain. Also the relic of Holy Blood is near there. They have catamaran boats now to cross the lake - I might go on Friday.

IDF - Blessings to All!

Last edited by sulmonte; 10-04-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:50 PM   #17
Stream
meds twice daily

Looks beautiful! A lake near the Alps in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.

"The darkness of maya is silently approaching. Let us hie homeward within." - Swami Sri Yukteswar
Stream is offline   Reply With Quote