A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Let Us Laugh Together

Old 08-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
rasa
The it one

New Jersey resident dies at 112, credits alcohol for her longevity

New Jersey's oldest resident, who once claimed beer and whisky kept her spry, has died at the age of 112.

Agnes Fenton, of Englewood, died Thursday morning, according to The Record...
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...441721483.html
Old 08-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Dave

Love this. Maybe there is hope for me then.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
Delsol
Administrator

Wow, beer and whiskey! I've heard red wine has health benefits, and beer is good for nursing mothers, but the whiskey is surprising!
Old 08-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delsol View Post
Wow, beer and whiskey! I've heard red wine has health benefits, and beer is good for nursing mothers, but the whiskey is surprising!
I rarely drink red, drink lots of beer, and top it off with a whiskey shot or two.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
mike1yogi

well, a little relieves stress - so maybe that helps...of course more than a little causes stress for sure, along with not feeling so hot - until you drink some more.....maybe she would have lived to 114 or more if she didn't drink....but to many people, they wouldn't have anything to look forward to if they didn't have "spirits" to imbibe... but I'll take peace and occasional glimpse of joy in meditation
Old 08-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I rarely drink red, drink lots of beer, and top it off with a whiskey shot or two.
Lol Dave...this used to be my "theme song" when they used to call me King Karoke 20 or so years ago (that, and Peaceful Easy Feelin by Eagles)

Old 08-31-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
Dave

That's funny mike. I'm not a country music lover but some of it I do like. There's a Ry Cooder song, an instrumental, that is very nice that my Dad used to like. I think it is called "It will all be alright" or something similiar to that.

Did you struggle with drink, Mike? If you did, how did you get free?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:28 AM   #8
Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oYzxkfzJZ0

Hmmm, the video didn't appear like it should.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #9
mike1yogi

Quote:
That's funny mike. I'm not a country music lover but some of it I do like. There's a Ry Cooder song, an instrumental, that is very nice that my Dad used to like. I think it is called "It will all be alright" or something similiar to that.

Did you struggle with drink, Mike? If you did, how did you get free?
It was kinda funny, I'd be out partying etc....every time before I got up to sing, I would be talking to God ...even then

I drank beer and smoked pot (along with chewing tobacco)...Getting free was not simple, but it was effective - I got cancer....stopped everything cold turkey...but went through a year of chemo hell...helped me burn a lot of bad karma, but not a recommended way to quit drinking etc

I don't listen to anything music wise anymore except for chants....I should try listening to classical though.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:51 AM   #10
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1yogi View Post
It was kinda funny, I'd be out partying etc....every time before I got up to sing, I would be talking to God ...even then

I drank beer and smoked pot (along with chewing tobacco)...Getting free was not simple, but it was effective - I got cancer....stopped everything cold turkey...but went through a year of chemo hell...helped me burn a lot of bad karma, but not a recommended way to quit drinking etc

I don't listen to anything music wise anymore except for chants....I should try listening to classical though.
I am certainly killing time, though I don't want to get cancer! It sounds like you made it through to the other side in health, which is great.

Classical is overrated in my opinion, though it is very lovely sometimes. You have to pick your music with more initiative and taste, mike. Sometimes there is good music in every genre. It's okay every now and then to listen to some modern music. It feels good. Nothing is wrong with that so long it doesn't take you away from God.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:28 PM   #11
mike1yogi

Quote:
I am certainly killing time, though I don't want to get cancer! It sounds like you made it through to the other side in health, which is great.

Classical is overrated in my opinion, though it is very lovely sometimes. You have to pick your music with more initiative and taste, mike. Sometimes there is good music in every genre. It's okay every now and then to listen to some modern music. It feels good. Nothing is wrong with that so long it doesn't take you away from God.
As far as music goes, it's all about what vibes it's giving off....most singers, bands, well, don't give off the vibrations I want to tune into....Classical, for instance Blue Danube, which Master loved, is a higher vibration...

Plus, really, most music seems to be about subjects that aren't in tune with what I aspire to....what is called "love" in most songs is talking about infatuation, sexual attraction....and I really don't care to listen to it, even songs I used to like lol

March on !
Old 08-31-2017, 11:17 PM   #12
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delsol View Post
To be rigorous:

The CDC threshold reccomendations for wine are:
-2 drinks gentlemen max per day
-1 drink ladies

The quantities are halved for whiskey. Ladies should drink accordign to such guidelines no more than half a glass of whiskey per day,

Further: recent literature tends to confirm some health benefits of alcohol within such thresholds.
Some other respected doctors refute such alleged protection.
Also, ladies suffer some hormonal change due to alcohol, specifically testosterone is released which may increase breast cancer hazard.

And alcohol is synergistic with smoke as far as cancer goes. The two together are a killer combo (meaning: probability of cancer occurance is significatively increased)

One example of ultra centenerian who drank whiskey means nothing probabilistically. Also, hypothetically I might reason that the NJ lady might have hit 125 years instead than simply 112 by avoiding alchol.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:25 PM   #13
mccoy
supernal user

By the way guys, I drink very modest amounts of alcohol (far less than the CDC threshold), a polyphenol-rich organic wine from my area:

This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #14
markos

I must try this levitating wine!
markos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #15
Dave

What about wine in food preparation? Obviously the alcohol content is probably burned out while it is being made. still...
Old 09-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #16
yogagirl

Quote:
What about wine in food preparation? Obviously the alcohol content is probably burned out while it is being made. still...
Hi!

A friend of mine, an ex-alcoholic can't even have sauce made from wine, as the slightest hint of alcohol might be too dangerous for him.

I'm a little worried about my husband, though, as he has recently discovered and become rather attached to some organic 'biodynamic' champagne which gets gentle classical music played to it all year.

....more important, though, Dave..Are you going to be able to get down to London to see the monks, 14th to 17th of this month?? Nothing more wonderful for linking into the lovely mother centre vibrations they bring with them, especially if you're like me and have never been to convocation... it's nice to get drunk on spiritual vibes!

Last edited by yogagirl; 09-03-2017 at 02:08 AM. Reason: I think I'm too bossy
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #17
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
By the way guys, I drink very modest amounts of alcohol (far less than the CDC threshold), a polyphenol-rich organic wine from my area:

Just kidding mccoy....you're Italian right? Correct my ignorance but I have it in my head that Italians drink wine like water, even in your youth?
Old 09-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #18
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by markos View Post
I must try this levitating wine!
Lol, drink enough and you'll be horizontal like that, don't know about the levitating part
Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 PM   #19
Heidi

This is one of the best threads I've read in awhile. Yogagirl...a wine that gets gentle classical music played to it for a year?!?! That cracked me up. The improbable things people will think of.

Anyway what I've read of Yogananda seems to always say avoid alcohol as one of the worst sins (sex, money, and wine) so I never thought a small amount might be beneficial.

I was in Alanon for over a decade and still go on occasion. I am aware of the idea that it's poison to people with an addiction. However I came to believe all things can be healed...and actually Yogananda talks a lot about will, determination, and self-control. So I no longer think of it like an allergy that a person will have forever. Even our darkest "sins" can be removed through the grace of God. We can be completely well.

Anyway good to be on here and check in with y'all. Take good care, and don't drink too much 😊
Heidi
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote