A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Open Discussion

Old 05-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
triguybos

Sharing personal experiences of Master

Besides the amazing personal experiences that his direct disciples and friends tell about their interactions with Guruji, I was wondering if any of us have had him touch us personally? I heard individual stories at Convocation about Master "speaking" with that particular person. It was fascinating listening to them and knowing that he is ever consciously with us, whether we know it or not.

When I lived in Southern California, I regularly cycled and/or ran up and down Highway 101 through Encinitas, then oblivious to the grand church-like building that is the SRF Encinitas Hermitage as I passed it. Years later, after becoming a devotee and visiting the place on a pilgrimage, it dawned on me that I must have biked and ran by Master countless times without knowing it. Fast forward to a couple of years ago at Convocation... I thought about making a pilgrimage to Mother Center later during the week I was there, and people tell me that it was most likely sold out. Nevertheless, I went to the pilgrimage desk to buy a seat on the bus and was told that it was indeed sold out for the whole week. As I stood there, there was a fellow devotee who, after listening to my inquiry at the desk, asked me if I wanted to go to Mother Center. To which I replied yes, but that it was sold out. To which she handed to me a ticket for that pilgrimage, explaining to me that she was looking forward to that pilgrimage herself, but "something" within her spurred her to donate her ticket. She then said that she guessed it was meant for me. I was beside myself and thanked her profusely. The desk volunteer smiled while watching this exchange and said that those tickets for Mother Center are hard to come by.

Master surely must've "heard" my thought to visit him at Mother Center and obliged my request. One might reasonably argue that it's mere coincidence of being at the right place at the right time. But as we all know... there are no coincidences. So I gave Master a heartfelt shout-out of gratitude when I visited Mother Center.

I have another "no coincidence" incident at Hidden Valley ashram to tell. But I'm curious if others here have experienced Master "talking" to them personally.

I, for one, am convinced that he is alive and well. One but only have to put one's consciousness on him, and there he is and sometimes communicating with you!

Jai Guru!
triguybos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Dave

Who knows if it isn't just subconscious?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:16 AM   #3
Philippe

Nothing Dave.
Those experiences are deep personal subjective Satoris that cannot be shared with someone who doubts them.
Noboby can walk the way for us.

Ramakrishna had a lady disciple who was fond of baby Krishna. She was without children, and was nursing all the day a baby Krishna that only she could see.
Vivekananda was very critical of that type of relationship with the divine : the psychological mecanisms were too obvious for him.
After that his Guru gave him Samadhi experiences, he asked him about his opinion about this woman.
Vivekananda answered very humbly : "that's fine, that's perfect spirituality".

Last edited by Philippe; 05-21-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Philippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #4
Delsol
Administrator

Thank you for sharing triguybos! Such a beautiful experience! I have heard similar stories over the years of how Master intervenes, often helping devotees with sincere interest make it to convocation, find accommodations, when otherwise such was not likely. Heartwarming and inspirational!

:
Old 05-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #5
Bryon777

hi triguybos,

when I first came to SRF in 1983, Master gave me many experiences for the first few years, then they disappeared...Bro. Dharmanandaji said God will give newbies such experiences so they KNOW that SRF and Master are the real deal...then God expects us to work hard to attain spiritual growth with or without more experiences

well, I finally got another experience recently: Master put up road blocks to "corral" me into a situation he wanted me in

many years ago, Hidden Valley Ashram was my spiritual home, and I went there often for visits or residencies that sometimes lasted over a year; about 2-3 years ago, something happened there that hurt my feelings ("wahhhh"), so I did not go back to Hidden Valley for a long time; then Master got me to go there recently during a conducted retreat (remember when Master wanted to go to the Himalayas and Sri Yukteswarji used his yogic powers to control events in the AY?)

Master's roadblock #1: he made my truck break down and I had to leave it in Fontana at a repair shop--I usually live in my truck (has like a camper shell), and would've taken care of much personal business and socialized if I had my truck with me, leaving little time to spend at the ashram

Master's roadblock #2: he made my friend tell me I had to pay $ or work to sleep on his floor for a few nights--I have been so generous to this friend, and was outraged that he was being so selfish, imo...so I thought, if he wants me to work, I will work instead at Hidden Valley on a work retreat!

and there you have it: I was guided like the lost sheep that I am into a spiritual environment where I gained great blessings for 4 days! (and boy, did I need those blessings...the world has a way of taking us away from God and the spiritual path, in case anyone has not noticed)

and to the doubters, let me quote from the movie, "Saint Bernadette": "To those who believe, no proof is needed. To those who do not believe, no proof is possible."

Jai Master, bryon
Bryon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #6
triguybos

So you saw Saint Bernadette at HV, too, Byron? I saw it during Kriya Week there. I felt for her.

If I may reinforce your quote to the "haters" out there, "faith is the proof of things unseen." From the good ol' Bible, I believe.

As each day comes and goes, the more I am convinced that things WILL work out and that He is looking out for each of us, devotees or not. We each have but to let go after being all we can be and doing the best we can in the given circumstance. I've observationally and analytically tested this conviction on myself and my family... like Bro. Anandamoy likes to say, "it's like mathematics, it cannot fail!" And what I've learned is that while my consciousness is not yet in tune with the Cosmic Consciousness, the Big Guy upstairs nevertheless guides us using physical world clues and signs. All we gotta do is to "listen" to them. Meditation undoubtedly helps with the active listening. Yet even when not meditating, which is most of our waking hours, it just requires one to detach and step back from the moment of seeming crisis and let it go and go with the flow. Easy to say, hard to actually do (all the time).
Old 05-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #7
Dave

What I meant was that sometimes I hear a faint voice that sounds like it is PY saying things like "don't do that". For example, I meditated for the first time in about 3 years last week lying down on my bed and I thought I heard or felt his voice saying that I should have sat down on my chair to meditate.

It is at once very clear and at the same time faint. No doubt because I was lying in bed I had the tendency to drop off into a semi sleep state which probably explains it. But then again how am I to know whether this isn't my subconscious? I don't value certainty in experiences like this as it smacks of conceit.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #8
Bryon777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
What I meant was that sometimes I hear a faint voice that sounds like it is PY saying things like "don't do that". For example, I meditated for the first time in about 3 years last week lying down on my bed and I thought I heard or felt his voice saying that I should have sat down on my chair to meditate.

It is at once very clear and at the same time faint. No doubt because I was lying in bed I had the tendency to drop off into a semi sleep state which probably explains it. But then again how am I to know whether this isn't my subconscious? I don't value certainty in experiences like this as it smacks of conceit.
Dave, if you think it is probably your subconscious, it probably is...and I do agree that "spiritual experiences" can be anything but: but if some experience helps us somehow or takes us closer to God, then it IS a spiritual experience even if Babaji didn't materialize a palace for us

I respect your skepticism. Master even has said that if we pray for something and it happens, how do we know it was really an answered prayer? eg: we pray for healing, healing comes, we gasp, God be praised!!..but Master warns, maybe our condition just healed naturally

Jai Guru
Old 05-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon777 View Post
...the world has a way of taking us away from God and the spiritual path, in case anyone has not noticed
Impossible not to notice that!
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #10
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
Impossible not to notice that!
I concur. There is a mad motorbiker around here driving around night and day every day all the time. It is impossible to get peace.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #11
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon777 View Post
Dave, if you think it is probably your subconscious, it probably is...and I do agree that "spiritual experiences" can be anything but: but if some experience helps us somehow or takes us closer to God, then it IS a spiritual experience even if Babaji didn't materialize a palace for us

I respect your skepticism. Master even has said that if we pray for something and it happens, how do we know it was really an answered prayer? eg: we pray for healing, healing comes, we gasp, God be praised!!..but Master warns, maybe our condition just healed naturally

Jai Guru
I don't know if it is my subconscious but your analogy of prayer is spot on.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #12
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
I concur. There is a mad motorbiker around here driving around night and day every day all the time. It is impossible to get peace.
Dave, I suggest something concocted by the wisdom of the ancient rishis (reincarnated):

This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #13
Dave

Quote:
Dave, I suggest something concocted by the wisdom of the ancient rishis (reincarnated):

It only works while sitting in a chair unfortunately. Lying down I need earplugs.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:50 AM   #14
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
It only works while sitting in a chair unfortunately. Lying down I need earplugs.
You can even use both at the same time, it constitutes a double barrier to sound waves. I've been able to sleep with cuffs laying the back of the neck on the pillow, face up, like a corpse.
If you don't like to sleep like a corpse and wish to turn on one side you clearly can use only plugs.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:29 AM   #15
Dave

Quote:
you can even use both at the same time, it constitutes a double barrier to sound waves. I've been able to sleep with cuffs laying the back of the neck on the pillow, face up, like a corpse.
If you don't like to sleep like a corpse and wish to turn on one side you clearly can use only plugs.
lol
Old 06-17-2017, 03:37 AM   #16
yogagirl

Technical devices to keep the material world out!...

TV, of course, as someone mentioned earlier can lure you towards the material world.

Since the beginning of this thread was about the guru communicating to you...., I think that when your intuition is undeveloped, the guru communicates to you in completely different ways, whereas there is no need for him to resort to certain tactics when we are slightly more advanced and are able to pick up subtle hints.

When a young devotee, with very little will power and no intuition to be able to receive subtle hints from my guru, I had the rather comforting experience, once, of knowing that my guru was there. I was finding meditation extremely difficult, but decided to promise not to watch so much TV and meditate instead. I'm sorry to say that quite soon after making that promise I sat down with my family as they were watching TV, fully conscious of the fact that I had made no spiritual effort. No sooner had I sat down, than the television switched off. My mother couldn't understand it, 'This has never happened before', she said. Then I remembered my promise (I had no will power at the time ) and got up to go upstairs to meditate. No sooner had I got up, than the telly switched on again! I understood the message, and this happened to me a few times, and once, also, when I sat down, out of curiosity to watch an 'unhealthy' film. Today, my understanding of things is subtle enough, I think, not usually ever to need this kind of communication method!!
(I used to feel sorry for myself, hardly ever having the opportunity to go to an SRF group - but I now know the guru was actually protecting his other devotees from me!!!!)

Last edited by yogagirl; 06-17-2017 at 08:12 AM.
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #17
triguybos

Cool story, yogagirl. After listening to enough stories from monastics and householders, and of course, having my own experiences, Master is beyond any reasonable doubt, always there looking out for and helping us, newbie or veteran, even when we doubt that he's "there". He uttered truth and reality when he said that those who think of me near, I am near. These "coincidences" opened my eye to those "subtle hints" that we encounter in our daily lives. And I am convinced that we indeed are not of this world, as Jesus said. Jai Guru!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #18
Bryon777

Yogagirl,
Those are great thoughts! Thanks for sharing...
I will tell one little story that I have shared before:

When I was 9 years old, I lived in San Francisco. My close friend lived a block away, and excitedly told me there was a visitor at his house who could do magic tricks.

I met this person. He was sitting on a couch and asked me for a penny. I gave him one, and he put it between his hands on his lap and closed his eyes as if concentrating. Then he opened his hands and after a pause said, "Do you see the penny?"

I was incredulous and thought he had just let the coin slip down between his legs, but he pointed at the other end of the couch and there sat a penny. I still didn't believe this was anything special.

Suddenly, the man looked at me with amazement...and as if he was looking behind me, he asked, "Has you ever heard of ---------------?" (Fill in the blank with a foreign-sounding name.)

I said, "No."

He said, "You will, later on."

Many years later, I realized that he had said "Paramahansa Yogananda" as the foreign-sounding name! I called my friend's family after I was a devotee and found out that the man was a spiritual seeker who belonged to some religious organization in Canada. I am pretty sure he saw Master's astral form behind me on that day so many years ago when I was only nine.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #19
OnlyOne

Guruji

I have never had Him "touch" me, per say, but I have had Him visit me many times in and out of meditation. It is an incredibly blissful feeling to feel His presence.
My first experience ever was at my Kriya initiation in Boston. When I looked at His picture, His eyes would twinkle. I freaked and looked away quickly. I was quite shaken and would avoid looking at Him. Every now and then my eyes would sneak over and take a peak and it would happen again. I asked the woman next to me if she saw it too, but she didn't. That is when I realized this was truly my path and I've never looked back.
OnlyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #20
Dave

So I meditated and get this thing where in between trying to concentrate on the breath/mantra I hear words that don't seem to be coming from my own mind. I think it is Master though. It is difficult to tell. But anyhow, I heard the words "the root of yoga, 3 and 5" and looked through my Kindle and there it was, a new book I got a couple of months ago called the Root of Yoga. Chapter 3 was on asana and chapter 4 The Yogic Body.

I haven't meditated much for a few years but the very few times I did I get the same phenomena - hearing words - all subtle pointers that I should be doing the techniques as Yogananda taught them. I should be sitting on a chair etc. Well I am having to start over at the very beginning now with asana (on a chair!) and finding out about the astral body. That would be EE's and eventually OM technique.

The voice sometimes has an Indian inflection. And wit.

For example, "when you are drunk you are LOVELY".
Old 08-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #21
khitomer

A very powerful way to get attunement with him is to do what they teach in Sufism, called Fanaa (?). You visualise your body sitting inside the Guru's body, from the spiritual eye you watch his form inhabiting your form. Little details such as the stoutness of his body, the flowing locks, the look of his face. Try to feel the sanctity of his God-conscious state; the purity and stillness of it. You will quickly feel attunement and perhaps even hear/feel his voiceless voice in the depths of your mental absorption, as if in answer to some spontaneous thought that arises in your mind. This practice is especially powerful after kriya. Its very similar to remaining absorbed in looking at his picture and feeling him spontaneously communicating something specific after some time.

The same practice can be done to tune in with any of the Gurus, or any saint/master. This technique Master gives in one of the Lessons, and is the one he recommended to Rajarsi. If you persist with it you will definitely feel their presence right within your own self. A sure sign is a kind of fluttering onset of breathlessness or ongoing exhalation, which elicits the 'hidden laughter' of divine joy that steals over your consciousness. Very difficult not to find yourself beaming from ear to ear with happiness then!

The biggest obstacle to being successful with it is to feel afraid of being so intimately open to the spiritual contact, as when you feel inferior; that you are inherently impure or unworthy of it. Thats why its good to do it after a deep practice of the techniques, when these kinds of thoughts and emotions have quieted down. Quite often I find myself laughing at these very same fears once the joyful contact is there. Not necessarily because I get some insight about how pointless they are, but because the presence of joy itself makes them an amusing afterthought. Its always a purification.

I have noticed that the subjective psychic whispers that identify the Guru's silently speaking voice are the very ones that you can subtly feel, upon having the surprise of hearing/feeling them coming seemingly as if from nowhere, that they are not your own random spontaneous thoughts. in the stillness born of meditation does the intuitive clarity come by which you can identify Guruji's whispers.

If absorption is deep one can even hear him as if audibly, on the internal astral plane of the sense of hearing (through Aum). One evening years ago I heard the Master's human voice, unmistakably him, chanting some sanskrit shloka on my behalf. That whole night passed in a reverie, an effortless devotional state of meditation on Krishna, accompanied by joy. In the morning I 'woke up' to see a sapling outside in the form of a peacock, as if God was saying, "I dont only exist in your mind as an act of imagination. I am real and I manifest in the physical as well. Feeling near to Me spiritually is to be in Vrindavan itself."

Last edited by khitomer; 08-11-2017 at 11:22 AM.
khitomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #22
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by khitomer View Post

I have noticed that the subjective psychic whispers that identify the Guru's silently speaking voice are the very ones that you can subtly feel, upon having the surprise of hearing/feeling them coming seemingly as if from nowhere, that they are not your own random spontaneous thoughts. in the stillness born of meditation does the intuitive clarity come by which you can identify Guruji's whispers.

."
This describes it well.

I don't know what stillness in meditation is though.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #23
khitomer

I find it generally becomes pronounced after kriya, although Hong Sau brings it on as well, given enough time and steady attention.

Physically it is to rest in steadiness of posture devoid of aches and pains. I meditate cross-legged and find the legs have gone numb, but the numbness only becomes noticeable when leaving the meditation. Then it takes a while for the circulation to return to normal. So in stillness there is a kind of absence of physical awareness, aside from the feeling of wearing the body as a sensation.

Mentally it is like a kind of static arrest of the constant flow of thoughts, which in ordinary waking consciousness we tend to find as the one constant. You get settled in the spine and brain and a kind of pressure in the head is felt, but not unpleasant.

New-agers talk about balancing the chakras and becoming centred. I feel this is a good way to describe the after effects of kriya. That subtle pressure in the head and 'soothing, regenerative effect in the spine' as Master calls it, bestows this centred, evenly balanced, static stillness. The calmness in which if you go on sitting, an ever-deepening feeling of elation spontaneously becomes apparent.

Best way to describe it is as like an all-encompassing silence, which includes silence of the thoughts. In remaining in the silence lies the feeling of sweetness and all those positive feelings that slowly unfurl themselves like a blooming flower.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #24
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by khitomer View Post
I find it generally becomes pronounced after kriya, although Hong Sau brings it on as well, given enough time and steady attention.

Physically it is to rest in steadiness of posture devoid of aches and pains. I meditate cross-legged and find the legs have gone numb, but the numbness only becomes noticeable when leaving the meditation. Then it takes a while for the circulation to return to normal. So in stillness there is a kind of absence of physical awareness, aside from the feeling of wearing the body as a sensation.

Mentally it is like a kind of static arrest of the constant flow of thoughts, which in ordinary waking consciousness we tend to find as the one constant. You get settled in the spine and brain and a kind of pressure in the head is felt, but not unpleasant.

New-agers talk about balancing the chakras and becoming centred. I feel this is a good way to describe the after effects of kriya. That subtle pressure in the head and 'soothing, regenerative effect in the spine' as Master calls it, bestows this centred, evenly balanced, static stillness. The calmness in which if you go on sitting, an ever-deepening feeling of elation spontaneously becomes apparent.

Best way to describe it is as like an all-encompassing silence, which includes silence of the thoughts. In remaining in the silence lies the feeling of sweetness and all those positive feelings that slowly unfurl themselves like a blooming flower.
That's a lot of information to grapple with. I can't respond to it as much as I would like to because a lot of it hasn't been my experience thus far. But I think I can say that when you mention the brain, I am reminded of 2 things Yogananda said. In some of the earlier Lessons he said to concentrate on the brain when meditating. And he also said that the sensory motor processes are located on the surface of the brain. This means, to my mind, that when you meditate and the sensory and motor nerve processes become still, the activity goes towards the deeper brain regions and away from the surface brain regions.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #25
khitomer

Yes, physiologically that probably has a role in it. If we consider that by kriya we are centralizing the life and thereby the consciousness in the spinal region, we are actually withdrawing awareness from the surface of the body (the brain's real 'surface' because through the nervous system the brain is connected to the whole body).
Old 08-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #26
Dave

But so long as the body is COMPLETELY still.

One problem I had before was that my body had the tendency to do automatic kriyas, mudras etc. It got to the point that the minute I sat to meditate my body would be moving all over the place and so I couldn't sit still. That is why I stopped meditating.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #27
khitomer

That is, I feel, part of the beauty of kriya. Its like when you get stoned. You can be moving about and doing all sorts of things, but still feel the deep heaviness of the high physically. The difference is that getting stoned is tamasic, and the static stupor of it is tending toward unconsciousness. While the stillness after kriya is sattvic and the essence of luminous awareness, giving pure joy.

But just as when you are stoned you can feel that high no matter what youre doing, after good kriya you feel that stillness, internal and external, no matter what you are doing; whether sitting still in the after effects, or going about your daily activities.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #28
Dave

I think at the same time it is important to differentiate between the peace of God and the relaxation you get from meditation. They are actually two different things, though they may share some qualities in common.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 PM   #29
khitomer

Master said the peace you feel in meditation is the first sign of God's presence. So he did indeed identify them as one. The difference between that and the 'peace which passeth all understanding' is a question of degree, not of kind.

States of samadhi (or even the difference between samprajnata and asamprajnata samadhi), versus initial restfulness in meditation are of course as far apart as the poles.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #30
Dave

That is why I said they probably share in common.

I do wish I could meditate again, and I have a few times of recent, without my body moving around. When that starts happening to you you have very little choice left. You either surrender to the movements and forsake stillness, or cease meditation entirely.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #31
khitomer

Focusing on devotion, like in chanting and japa, doing pujas, going to a group meditation, doing service. All these would be of help in such a case, imo.

Energization Exercises, especially.

So would Hatha Yoga or Tai Chi.

Last edited by khitomer; 08-11-2017 at 01:42 PM.