A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Health, Diet and Recipes

Old 10-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
mccoy
supernal user

Ivy honey

I'm an appreciator of honey, have been like that since, at 16, I started to practice a vegetarian diet and an helthy lifestyle.

I've tasted almost all kinds of honeys available in my place but lately I wasn't able to find something particular.

Until a couple of days ago, when I found in an health food store a small pot of ivy honey. I don't remember if I had already tasted it in the past, but it was a nice surprise. A creamy, silky texture carrying the scent of flowers and the fragrance of spices, with a seducing degree of balanced sweetness.

Who needs drugs with food like that ????????
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
sulmonte

Started to eat much honey again this year. Otherwise I do not like sweet taste/sugar so much. Read in a homeopathic health journal that honey was named together with vit d as one of best germ killer. Italian honey is great!

Last edited by sulmonte; 10-25-2015 at 05:57 AM.
sulmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:44 AM   #3
mccoy
supernal user

Sulmonte, of course pure honey is excessively sweet but it can be taken as a medicine in small quantities or mixing it with milk, yogurt, and so on.
I recently found and tasted a borage (borago officinalis) honey. It is exceedingly delicious and naturally stimulating, in a way similar to the ivy honey but maybe more complete. This is evidently a property of wild plants honeys. The quality of some Italian honeys probably derives from the species density of some places. Some mountain areas are told to have about 350 herbal specieses, which also makes up an exceptional sheep cheese.

Another good Italian honey which is pretty rare though is carob honey.

This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
sulmonte

Thanks, it is very rare to find Italian honey in Germany but I have a health food store which does. The owners go twice a year for vacation on organic farms in Italy and they do bring honey straight from the farm. Will get some more tomorrow. Honey is getting more and more expensive, we are at 9 Euros here for a good organic quality :-(. The same goes for almonds and other nuts.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
mccoy
supernal user

Tonight I had some milk with a little cocoa and honey, then I had dark german bread (the one which comes in very thin rectangular slices) with butter and honey on it. Exquisite.

9 Euro for one kilo jar is a good price, for a half a kilo jar would be pretty pricey, unless those honeys, besides being organic, are farmed in very small quantitites.

Good Italian almonds here are more than 9 euros a kilo, it's at least 12 a kilo for the non organic variety but I must make sure.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
sulmonte

Mccoy, it is the price for 500 gramms....! I pay 6 Euros for 250 gramms organic almonds. I like to have the juice of one 1/2 lemon (organic) put a little ginger and some honey. I enjoy little spoons...good to fight colds. Or I do mix Indian spices myself instead of buying Ayurvedic teas and add honey. Also from time to time I like honey with curd, but also like it pure or on bread. German bread - do you talk about Pumpernickel?
Old 10-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
mccoy
supernal user

I paid the borage honey 8 Euros - 500 grams, so 9 Euros sounds a reasonable price for a rare biological honey. Other biological honeys you can find here at a more unexpensive price but I have to notice how much exactly.

Yes, pumpernickel bread, butter enhances its taste whereas olive oil is not a good combination, the bread is too tasty and overwhelms the nuances of the olive oil
Old 10-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
sulmonte

Pumpernickel is a classic with butter, maybe will get some again. No, olive oil does not go with it. When young, Pumpernickel and cheese slices have been put like layers and then cut in dices. Party food. Hmm....long ago...I never liked parties though but somehow one had to participate in order to find out that one is not interested ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpernickel

Lately I switched to Risotto rice - even for my Indian dishes. I do like the more smoother taste better. Khichdi with Risotto rice - perfect for the cold season coming.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #9
mccoy
supernal user

I had a chance to look up the prices of organic honey in Italy, they are usually in the range of 7-8 Euros half a kilo, so not much less than in Germany.
The most expensive is acacia honey which (organic) runs at 12 Euros per half kilo.
I buy the bulk of my organic honey (which I use in almost industrial quantities) in the organic section of supermarkets, with a price which I must check but is lower.

I wonder what's the price of organic honey in America and other countries.

Organic almonds are definitely cheaper here (it depends on the supplier though), you can find them at 4.5 euros for 250 grams.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
sulmonte

http://www.ishafoundation.org/blog/l...ts-honey-uses/
Old 11-22-2015, 04:03 AM   #11
mccoy
supernal user

Prices of almonds have increased here, due to the scarce yield of latest crop. Non-organic almonds from Sicily (undoubtedly exquisite) now run at 18 Euros a kilo, organic I do not know.

I bought a non-organic lemon-flowers honey from Sicily and it was 9 Euros a kilo. An acceptable price although not organic.

Healthy diet can be costly. Although there are ways to make it cheaper, by buying in season vegetables and fruits for example, by not overeating and giving the body its minimum requirements, and last but not least by meditating all day, using up ion such a way very little calories, lol.

That was what my father used to say when ridiculing me and my meditation.

Quote:
In India they meditate because they do not have enough food, so they are compelled to stay motionless not to starve!
Lol, my father was definitely not the spiritual, ascetic type.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
sulmonte

Today on the xmas market I did find Grappa with Honey. Usually I do not trink these kind of hard liquor but did put a little amount in my hot chocolate. Very good - cheers to you Mccoy.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #13
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulmonte View Post
Today on the xmas market I did find Grappa with Honey. Usually I do not trink these kind of hard liquor but did put a little amount in my hot chocolate. Very good - cheers to you Mccoy.
Sulmonte, cheers back

that sounds a good wintry beverage!a very little amount of hard liquor may indeed have medical properties, like in the case of stomach heaviness or gas, as I found.

Not to be taken as an excuse to initiate an addiction, lol, if it tastes real good it may happen.

I'll follow your example and try some in the hot chocolate.

There are some kinds of products which are more naturally suited to chocolate and honey, right now I do not remember but I'm going to find out.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #14
mccoy
supernal user

Re peculiar honeys: I recently tasted an honey from ailanthus altissima, the tree coming from China which is also an infesting species.

It was a dark hued and pretty tasty organic honey, the producer was puzzled at first until he had the honey examined, the pollen analysis showed its very specific nature.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #15
mccoy
supernal user

Re hot chocolate:

Curacao liquer is the right choice!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cura%C3%A7ao_(liqueur)
Old 12-30-2015, 03:19 PM   #16
sulmonte

Oh interesting...but not available..and I will not buy some. Just add ayurvedic spices to my chocolate....
Old 12-31-2015, 06:20 AM   #17
sulmonte

Quote:
Oh interesting...but not available..and I will not buy some. Just add ayurvedic spices to my chocolate....
I bought Miele Italiano - Coriandolo - today - what a treat. May the new year be as sweet to all of you here!!!

:-) :-) :-)
Old 05-27-2016, 06:21 AM   #18
sulmonte

Any opinions about Sharkara sugar - which I do use exclusively next to honey as sweetener
Old 05-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #19
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
I bought Miele Italiano - Coriandolo - today - what a treat. May the new year be as sweet to all of you here!!!
Miele di coriandolo, never tasted it myself, I look forward to add it to my collection of tasted honeys.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #20
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Any opinions about Sharkara sugar - which I do use exclusively next to honey as sweetener
I tasted it in the past, mainly in the crystallized form. I did not know about its properties, preparation nor the ayurvedic use.

Interesting facts.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #21
mccoy
supernal user

I'm pretty much satisfied of my latest addition to my honey collection: coriander honey: amber, creamy, delicious.

I'm addicted at the first taste.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:41 AM   #22
lotusflower

A while ago I tastes organic lavender honey, for me a real wow, so maybe time of another addiction, Mccoy LOL?

IDF
Old 10-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #23
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusflower View Post
A while ago I tastes organic lavender honey, for me a real wow, so maybe time of another addiction, Mccoy LOL?
Absolutely yes! In the case of honeys, addition=addiction. A definitely beneficial one.

I probably tasted lavender in the past but not for the latest coupla of dozens years. Going to be on the alert!
Old 10-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #24
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:

Sulmonte, as you can ascertain from one of my latest posts, I've been able to taste coriander honey at last myself.

I was also quite annoyed that you managed to taste it and I couldn't... Now I'm good!
Old 10-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #25
sulmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
Sulmonte, as you can ascertain from one of my latest posts, I've been able to taste coriander honey at last myself.

I was also quite annoyed that you managed to taste it and I couldn't... Now I'm good!
Oh Mccoy.....I am so glad....I am still looking for it again. Did not find anymore since I moved but will start searching now.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #26
mccoy
supernal user

A recent, valuable addition to my collection:

Manuka honey from New Zealand.

This honey has been studied by the scientific literature and has very pronouned antibacterial activity, being able to defeat some bacteria like S. Aureus which developed resistance to antibiotics.

Its consistence is creamy , its taste flavoury and rich, its cost is...pronounced as much as its flavour.

One 10-ounces jar was 37 Euros, over 40 dollars.

Watch out for frauds!!

Old 12-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #27
mike1yogi

Quote:
A recent, valuable addition to my collection:

Manuka honey from New Zealand.

This honey has been studied by the scientific literature and has very pronouned antibacterial activity, being able to defeat some bacteria like S. Aureus which developed resistance to antibiotics.

Its consistence is creamy , its taste flavoury and rich, its cost is...pronounced as much as its flavour.

One 10-ounces jar was 37 Euros, over 40 dollars.

Watch out for frauds!!

Sounds good, but like liquid gold - too pricey unless it restores youthfulness lol.

I have a teaspoon of raw honey (plain, no fancy types) dissolved in a cup of warm water, then add 1 tsp ACV (apple cider vinegar) every morning Paul Bragg style....this is soon after I drink my qt of warm water with 2 tsps of salt - Mr Blacks salt water flush,

BTW, after starting salt water flush 3 months ago, I've avoided catching my normal winter cold from my grandsons....so far anyway
Old 12-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #28
sulmonte

Manuka is too expensive. I try to get good organic honey, well I think at least they do not mix too much stuff together, which is the case with honey often. Fraud everywhere. Have to go out and search today for good honey again.

The organic honey from Italy - my friends do bring regulary from a farm - is the best. But I did move....!

Antibacterial activity? I rather jew some raw garlic, very efficient!
Old 12-29-2017, 07:05 AM   #29
mccoy
supernal user

Yes Mike I agree, from its price it almost sounds like it would guarantee restoring youth or something similar!

Raw local honeys may be pretty good as well, an article has outlined their properties and, although Manuka was the best, they all displayed bactericide effects.

Dark honeys are probably the best, containing many beneficial pytochemicals, present in the original material, raw flowers pollen.

Quote:
Archives of Medical Research 36 (2005) 464467
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Bactericidal Activity of Different Honeys against Pathogenic Bacteria
Patricia E. Lusby, Alexandra L. Coombes and Jenny M. Wilkinson
School of Biomedical Sciences, Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga, Australia
Received for publication August 17, 2004; accepted March 3, 2005 (ARCMED-D-04-00059).
Background. Renewed interest in honey for various therapeutic purposes including
treatment of infected wounds has led to the search for new antibacterial honeys. In this
study we have assessed the antibacterial activity of three locally produced honeys and
compared them to three commercial therapeutic honeys (including Medihoney and
manuka honey).
Methods. An agar dilution method was used to assess the activity of honeys against 13
bacteria and one yeast. The honeys were tested at five concentrations ranging from 0.1
to 20%.
Results. Twelve of the 13 bacteria were inhibited by all honeys used in this study with
only Serratia marcescens and the yeast Candida albicans not inhibited by the honeys.
Little or no antibacterial activity was seen at honey concentrations 1%, with minimal
inhibition at 5%. No honey was able to produce complete inhibition of bacterial growth.
Although Medihoney and manuka had the overall best activity, the locally produced
honeys had equivalent inhibitory activity for some, but not all, bacteria.
Conclusions. Honeys other than those commercially available as antibacterial honeys can
have equivalent antibacterial activity. These newly identified antibacterial honeys may
prove to be a valuable source of future therapeutic honeys.  2005 IMSS. Published
by Elsevier Inc.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:10 AM   #30
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Manuka is too expensive. I try to get good organic honey, well I think at least they do not mix too much stuff together, which is the case with honey often. Fraud everywhere. Have to go out and search today for good honey again.
The organic honey from Italy - my friends do bring regulary from a farm - is the best. But I did move....!
Antibacterial activity? I rather jew some raw garlic, very efficient!
Yes, frauds abound when the food has medical properties, exactly as in Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil. We must use very reliable providers, in America Amphora Nueva is one of the best for EVOOs, whereas I do not know honeys.

Garlic And Onions (Alliacea) do have powerful antibacterial properties, Alliicin is the active phytochemical. They should be consumed raw though. I don't find it always easy, although some people like them, I find I'm not able to be so stoic as to chew raw alliacea, although with time I might be successfull.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #31
sulmonte

Quote:
Yes, frauds abound when the food has medical properties, exactly as in Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil. We must use very reliable providers, in America Amphora Nueva is one of the best for EVOOs, whereas I do not know honeys.

Garlic And Onions (Alliacea) do have powerful antibacterial properties, Alliicin is the active phytochemical. They should be consumed raw though. I don't find it always easy, although some people like them, I find I'm not able to be so stoic as to chew raw alliacea, although with time I might be successfull.
I do put raw garlic in my mouth when the faintest hint from teeth. Sometimes I chew it for hours, of course at home when alone. But people say when I am out that they do not smell anything. When cold is coming raw garlic, ginger, honey in pure Lemon juice. Little dose - 3 time daily.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #32
mccoy
supernal user

Guys, I'll tell you what, tasting Manuka honey is one of those things which should be done once in life.
It's undisputably the king of honeys, a celestial taste, one teaspoon at a time the jar will last a few weeks. However, mine lasted only 7 days.
I left most of the honey to my wife and son, who got sick with flu.
Next time around I must try my best to get the flu first!
Old 01-03-2018, 03:29 AM   #33
lotusflower

Quote:
Guys, I'll tell you what, tasting Manuka honey is one of those things which should be done once in life.
It's undisputably the king of honeys, a celestial taste, one teaspoon at a time the jar will last a few weeks. However, mine lasted only 7 days.
I left most of the honey to my wife and son, who got sick with flu.
Next time around I must try my best to get the flu first!
I've taste Manuka honey a while ago, and for me it's only once in this lifetime, for I didn't like the taste.

You've got a good strategy for getting most of the honey, Mccoy!
Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #34
yogagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusflower View Post
I've taste Manuka honey a while ago, and for me it's only once in this lifetime, for I didn't like the taste.

You've got a good strategy for getting most of the honey, Mccoy!
Manuka honey is an acquired taste, not my taste, which is why I only use it in hot beverages when I'm ill. I was wondering whether boiling water reduces its efficiency?
I have found the anti-viral essential oil, ravintsara, to be a quick fix, when one needs an emergency head clearer from cold symptoms just before meditating - rather aggressive and not everyone's cup of tea,(or drop of oil, rather) I'm sure, but the price has come down over the last couple of years where I live.

Some of these 2017/18 winter 'flus are pretty unpleasant this year, hope it hasn't been too rough on any of you. Although our family doctor delights when we get the 'flu, as he thinks it's healthy!!!

Last edited by yogagirl; 01-07-2018 at 02:02 AM.
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:53 AM   #35
lotusflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl View Post
Manuka honey is an acquired taste, not my taste, which is why I only use it in hot beverages when I'm ill. I was wondering whether boiling water reduces its efficiency?
I have found the anti-viral essential oil, rivantsara, to be a quick fix, when one needs an emergency head clearer from cold symptoms just before meditating - rather aggressive and not everyone's cup of tea,(or drop of oil, rather) I'm sure, but the price has come down over the last couple of years where I live.

Some of these 2017/18 winter 'flus are pretty unpleasant this year, hope it hasn't been too rough on any of you. Although our family doctor delights when we get the 'flu, as he thinks it's healthy!!!
Lavender honey also seems to have some anti-bacterial/viral qualities, probably not way as much as the Manuka honey, but at least the taste is nice.
It's probably true what your doctor says, the imuunsystem is activated during the flu and that's a good thing, even better when you have a fever too.
It was unpleasant to have the flu a few weeks back, hadn't had the flu in years, but feel it did have it's benefits.

I'm not familiar with the oil you discribed Yogagirl, will look into it.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #36
mccoy
supernal user

I wonder if you guys came across a strong-tasting manuka or I stumbled upon an exceptionally good tasting one.

Mine was objectively exquisite, spicy, decise flavour.

I tend to like the flavour of polyphenols in honeys (and all foods), which are the beneficial molecules.

Dark, strong flavoured, bitterish honeys are the best usually.

Lavender I tasted years ago but do not remember it.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #37
sulmonte

I do think that honey in boiling water, teas, has lost its healing factor. I read somewhere - not sure - but 60 C is the limit. I never buy honey which is liquid and does stay liquid. I also pay attention that honey has some cristals. This does show that it was not made with heat.. I do like honey which still does have the flavor of the plants - not only sweetness.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:21 AM   #38
mccoy
supernal user

It surely depends on the chemicals. enzymes are usually destroyed above 40C, polyphenols are often left intact, bactericide compounds may be destroyed as the following excertp states, although I did not verify its source and it is pretty generic.
Raw is better, not for infants though, lest it contains some botulin spores.
I started to use dark muscovado sugar (very close to molasses) for cacao, whereas I still use clear honey for tea. I use dark honeys raw in smoothies, soaks and on their own, sometimes together with nuts.

Quote:
Honey should not be heated rapidly, over direct heat. Basically, the hotter you heat it, the more potential for reducing nutritional value. Excessive heat can have detrimental effects on the nutritional value of honey. Heating up to 37C (98.6 F) causes loss of nearly 200 components, part of which are antibacterial. Heating up to 40C (104 F) destroys invertase, an important enzyme. Heating up to 50C (122 F) for more than 48 hrs. turns the honey into caramel (the most valuable honey sugars become analogous to sugar). Heating honey higher than 140 degrees F for more than 2 hours will cause rapid degradation. Heating honey higher than 160 for any time period will cause rapid degradation and caramelization. Generally any larger temperature fluctuation (10C is ideal for preservation of ripe honey) causes decay. -John Skinner, University of Tennessee
http://articles.extension.org/pages/...its-for-humans