A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Welcome > Meet the Members

Old 07-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #1
panthertech

Glad I found you...

Hi all! I'm glad I found this forum. I read the Autobiography of a Yogi about a month and a half ago, and since have signed up for the lessons, and read about 15 books that Guruji has written (currently I am in the middle of "God talks with Arjuna). My one concern was that SRF didn't have a forum, where I could talk with others, as I live in NY, and won't be able to get to California.

So thank you very much for having this forum, and allowing me to partake!
panthertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #2
Adhikari
आत्मन्

Welcome aboard. This is an easygoing forum with knowledgeable members. Feel free to participate.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
panthertech

Thank you so much!
Old 07-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
Delsol
Administrator

Welcome! Glad you found your way here.

FYI, SRF has a large meditation center in NY. Not sure if you are anywhere near it, but here is their site.

http://www.newyorkcitycenter.org

Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
panthertech

Thank you for the link. I am actually closer to the meditation center in Woodstock NY. It's challenging because I work nights, and a lot of the events are at night. I will keep on keeping on, and now I have the community here to help me as well.

Thank you for your kind welcome!

Old 07-16-2017, 11:12 PM   #6
yogagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhikari View Post
Welcome aboard. This is an easygoing forum with knowledgeable members. Feel free to participate.
Welcome, Panthertech,
Some members are knowledgeable, and some of us not so... just a place where Yogananda fans can chat.... Hope you get as much out of this forum as I do. Not having SRF members near me geographically, means that this board fills a need for me - plus, when worried or just thinking about something, the topic often comes up!! which is very helpful, indeed!
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
panthertech

Thank you Yogagirl - I appreciate the welcome. This board seems to be filling a void for me as well, I don't have a center close to me either. I have seen that many are very knowledgeable, and have learned a lot already.

Having been steered towards this path (which I have come to realize has been going on all my life) I have finally found what I have been searching for. It is somewhat difficult at times to go through this without devotees around.

I think I will stay around here for a long time.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
mccoy
supernal user

Hi panterthech, I'm glad you're so glad to have come across this site!
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthertech View Post
Hi all! I'm glad I found this forum. I read the Autobiography of a Yogi about a month and a half ago, and since have signed up for the lessons, and read about 15 books that Guruji has written (currently I am in the middle of "God talks with Arjuna). My one concern was that SRF didn't have a forum, where I could talk with others, as I live in NY, and won't be able to get to California.

So thank you very much for having this forum, and allowing me to partake!
Welcome. I did something very similiar to you after I read AoY - I ordered all the books from SRF, got a huge box full. It was better than Christmas! Do you have a favourite?

Even though I live where there is an SRF centre it was never convenient to go to. The people at that centre struck me as somewhat aloof as well. So having a forum like this one online is certainly a great thing. I hope your enjoy it here
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
panthertech

Dave - My favorite at the moment is the Second Coming of Christ. I'm currently in the middle of God Talks with Arjuna, and find it fascinating as well.

I originally read the SCOC in the Kindle format, and have since purchased the 2 volume set. I tried to read both books simultaneously, but that's not working, so I've gone back to God Talks with Arjuna.

On a side note, it's interesting how people, when they find out you've embarked on a Spiritual path want to test you, and argue with you. I have a friend at work who is a Jehovah's Witness, and he's coming over to my desk daily to challenge my beliefs. It's quite interesting.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #11
Dave

I hear you about reading both the big books at the same time. I was doing that aswell and just finished the 1st volume of SCOC (repeat readings) but it scatters attention too much for me.

So what is your background in terms of religious/spiritual beliefs? I mean, how did you go through life before coming to Yogananda?

Nobody asks me about my beliefs but I do tend to be reclusive at the moment. One time a friend of my sister came into my bedroom and saw a big picture of Yogananda on the wall and asked, "Who is she?"
Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #12
panthertech

So when I was young, there was no religion so to speak. There was a belief of God in the house, but no formal religion. As I became an adult, there was always a longing inside. I tried many different outlets to fill that void, and was unsuccessful.

I started going to a "Non Denominational" church, and found a little fulfillment there. But people, being people, drove me away. After that, I was longing again, and found the Rosicrucians, and joined up. It seemed more the path I needed, yet I was still somewhat empty inside. I started reading the Kabbalah during that time period as well. Again, somewhat satisfied, but yet, not enough.

While on my kindle, I received an offer to read "The Untethered Soul" as it was a free Kindle book. I read that, and there must have been a reference in it, or a suggestion at the end (I am no longer sure at this time), but I began to read the AOY, and I've come home.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #13
Delsol
Administrator

The Lessons will likely be very satisfying for you! A wealth of knowledge there! Am very excited for you - to be embarking on this particular path. As with all organizations, however, keep in mind! It is the Truth of that which resonates with you that will teach you the most directly. People are people are people. We are all here to share the journey!

Old 07-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthertech View Post
So when I was young, there was no religion so to speak. There was a belief of God in the house, but no formal religion. As I became an adult, there was always a longing inside. I tried many different outlets to fill that void, and was unsuccessful.

I started going to a "Non Denominational" church, and found a little fulfillment there. But people, being people, drove me away. After that, I was longing again, and found the Rosicrucians, and joined up. It seemed more the path I needed, yet I was still somewhat empty inside. I started reading the Kabbalah during that time period as well. Again, somewhat satisfied, but yet, not enough.

While on my kindle, I received an offer to read "The Untethered Soul" as it was a free Kindle book. I read that, and there must have been a reference in it, or a suggestion at the end (I am no longer sure at this time), but I began to read the AOY, and I've come home.
You have been on an interesting journey. You said you went to a non-denominational church so I'm guessing you considered yourself somewhat Christian?

Was the kabbalah you studied the modern Madonna type version? I signed onto their website back in the early 2000s and they started pestering me too much.

The Rosicrucians also have a home study lessons course. Someone once sent it to me.

My Aunt used to be into New age type stuff and she had the SRF spiritual Diary which I stole from her. I found the terminology strange at that time but I remembered seeing the word Autobiography at the back of it which peaked my interest as before I read AoY I had been into reading biographies. I read AoY and never looked back.

I happened to purchase a special edition AoY the very first time from Amazon. It was brown cover with a case and the edges were gold coloured like a Bible might be. Unfortunately I lost it some years back but I've looked for it on Amazon and never found that version again.