A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Inspirational Texts > The Bhagavad Gita

Old 06-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
triguybos

Quote from Ashtavakra (see page 375 of Gita vol I)

"If you want freedom from reincarnation, abhor sense pleasures​ as you would sugar-coated poison; and be as devotedly attached to acts of forgiveness, pity, contentment, love of truth, and God, as to drinking nectar!"

I meditated on this quote today as to its meaning, which at first glance is straightforward. But why is Ashtavakra saying this?

Sense Pleasures​: when we indulge in them, we become addicted to their immediate but brief effect, and the addiction feeds our desire for them, which makes them ever more addictive. So we lose self-control and become slaves to them, which transgresses God's purpose for them (which is to be used by our soul to interact with the physical world). In this transgression, we devolve into our animal nature. This is evident from watching my dog watching me eat dinner...the pooch drools and thinks only of my dinner, hoping that I would throw him the bone and everything else on my plate. I could give him everything on the dinner table and he wouldn't​ stop eating until nothing is left or I stop feeding him. Human addictions work the same way...we cannot stop ourselves helping ourselves to endless sense pleasures. Total loss of self-control. Being the hybrid lifeforms that we are (combo of animalistic​ form with self-aware consciousness and intelligence of Divine origin), we have the willingness and ability for self-control. Yet if we don't practice self-control, we get sucked into maya, for pleasures we sense in the physical world are the individualized subjectively experienced delusions that it "feels good". For sense pleasures are founded in our perception and interaction with the physical world, i.e., the environment outside our bodies and minds. In the process of sense pleasure indulgence, our consciousness are focused on the outer world that is maya and not God's Kingdom within us. And when we are unable to control our consciousness on sense pleasures​ due to an addiction, our consciousness ​and therefore soul move further away from God. Hence the term "sugarcoated poison"... sweet to the senses but poison for the soul cuz it moves farther from its true nature of Spirit, which in turn weakens it the further removed it is from​Spirit. So when we lose control over our sense pleasures, our desire for experiencing them continue unsatiated through our lifetime and into the next, leading to reincarnation in the next with the same desire.

Devout acts: these acts not negate sense pleasures, but also promote soul qualities within ourselves AND others. Forgiveness, pity, contentment, love of truth and God come from the soul manifested in the physical world in the midst of delusion, but pierce through the corporal veil that is the senses and their pleasures and transmitted to another soul, who can receive such acts given by the first soul. In such transmission, two souls connect in fellowship. Eventually as souls continue connecting, the many becomes the One for they share such devout acts. Hence no more reincarnation of separate individualized souls apart from one another. And when all souls connect, they become one with God.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
mike1yogi

triguybos, just what Gita are you talking about?....it's not Master's GTWA....I have no idea who Ashtavakra is....just me, but there is so much by Master and Sri Daya Mataji, the SRF magazine, CD's etc..there's only so much time, plus I'm not interested in doing so, so..I rarely read anything non-SRF.... (I do really like The Way of a Pilgrim

I would suggest, if you want an answer to your questions about this text, look it up in Master's Gita commentary - that's how I use it, as a life handbook - it, along with The Lessons, has an answer to everything in life.

and secondly, are you typing all of this? - if you are, I'm impressed as I am a 2 finger typist...BUT, it's very hard to read, you need to break this up into more paragraphs
Old 07-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
triguybos

It's from Master's Gita; I provided the page number. It comes from a Commentary passage that inspired me to two-finger type my dissertation on it.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
mike1yogi

I looked,wasn't on pg 375 in mine , perhaps chapter and verse number..
Old 07-30-2017, 01:55 AM   #5
mike1yogi

Ok, I was a little confused. That top line in quotations is in GTWA III:20 pg 377 in mine....Lahiri Mahasaya often quoted the great rishi Ashtavakra's teaching: "" The rest of the text is your interpretation.

Wonderful quote - the battle of Kurekshetra,,,,,as Guruji says, sense pleasures are like poisoned honey, sweet to the taste but deadly....this quote is one I will save and bring to mind as I would like freedom from being forced to come back here time and time again, and if great-grandfather guruji Lahiri thought it important it is.....keep on.

In Master
Old 07-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
paulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguybos View Post
"If you want freedom from reincarnation, abhor sense pleasures​ as you would sugar-coated poison; and be as devotedly attached to acts of forgiveness, pity, contentment, love of truth, and God, as to drinking nectar!"

I meditated on this quote today as to its meaning, which at first glance is straightforward. But why is Ashtavakra saying this?

Sense Pleasures​: when we indulge in them, we become addicted to their immediate but brief effect, and the addiction feeds our desire for them, which makes them ever more addictive. So we lose self-control and become slaves to them, which transgresses God's purpose for them (which is to be used by our soul to interact with the physical world). In this transgression, we devolve into our animal nature. This is evident from watching my dog watching me eat dinner...the pooch drools and thinks only of my dinner, hoping that I would throw him the bone and everything else on my plate. I could give him everything on the dinner table and he wouldn't​ stop eating until nothing is left or I stop feeding him. Human addictions work the same way...we cannot stop ourselves helping ourselves to endless sense pleasures. Total loss of self-control. Being the hybrid lifeforms that we are (combo of animalistic​ form with self-aware consciousness and intelligence of Divine origin), we have the willingness and ability for self-control. Yet if we don't practice self-control, we get sucked into maya, for pleasures we sense in the physical world are the individualized subjectively experienced delusions that it "feels good". For sense pleasures are founded in our perception and interaction with the physical world, i.e., the environment outside our bodies and minds. In the process of sense pleasure indulgence, our consciousness are focused on the outer world that is maya and not God's Kingdom within us. And when we are unable to control our consciousness on sense pleasures​ due to an addiction, our consciousness ​and therefore soul move further away from God. Hence the term "sugarcoated poison"... sweet to the senses but poison for the soul cuz it moves farther from its true nature of Spirit, which in turn weakens it the further removed it is from​Spirit. So when we lose control over our sense pleasures, our desire for experiencing them continue unsatiated through our lifetime and into the next, leading to reincarnation in the next with the same desire.

Devout acts: these acts not negate sense pleasures, but also promote soul qualities within ourselves AND others. Forgiveness, pity, contentment, love of truth and God come from the soul manifested in the physical world in the midst of delusion, but pierce through the corporal veil that is the senses and their pleasures and transmitted to another soul, who can receive such acts given by the first soul. In such transmission, two souls connect in fellowship. Eventually as souls continue connecting, the many becomes the One for they share such devout acts. Hence no more reincarnation of separate individualized souls apart from one another. And when all souls connect, they become one with God.
nice interpretation, Tri.
paulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #7
yogagirl

Yes,
Thank you for sharing, Triguybos,
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
Ajay0

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguybos View Post
This is a great saying.

One usually seeks sense-pleasures out of the perception that one derives happiness from it. But after attainment of the sense-object and enjoying it, one loses interest in it, and starts seeking a greater sense-pleasure or stimulus as one's senses have become used to that level of arousal. This keeps continuing endlessly due to the unlimited nature of desire.

Thus sensory happiness is transient in nature and fleeting.

On the other hand, bliss attained through meditation or Awareness/witnessing is found to be of a permanent state and easily self-generated in the system.

While sensory pleasures leads to happiness of a transient nature, God-consciousness leads to bliss of a permanent nature.

Through cessation of the desire for sensation by understanding its fleeting and impermanent nature, truth and bliss comes into being.
Be careful what you choose to do consciously, for unless your will is very strong, that is what you may have to do repeatedly and compulsively through the habit-influencing power of the subconscious mind.
- Paramahansa Yogananda

Self-awareness is yoga. -- Nisargadatta Maharaj

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. -- Eckhart Tolle
Ajay0 is offline   Reply With Quote