A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Picture This!

Old 08-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
Dave

Me at 37

I hope this website doesn't get a lot of traffic, I don't want to be recognised anywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170722_204851.jpg (182.3 KB, 36 views)
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:37 AM   #2
mike1yogi

Young pup...get busy now, old Chinese proverb - it's later than you think.

Doubt you have anything to worry about from paparazzi
Old 08-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
Dave

Get busy?
Old 08-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Delsol
Administrator

Awww, what lovely eyes you have! Who knew?
Old 08-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
Irihapeti

I reckon that the 30's are the best time of your life, 40 kinda of just thuds, 50's well quite good, 60's hmmm 70's not too bad but hey I am 3/4 of a century oops way to go onward and upward so they say.Take care God Bless you all. In Divine Friendship and Love.
Irihapeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delsol View Post
Awww, what lovely eyes you have! Who knew?
Well cheers. I have got that my whole life, since a baby even. My eyelashes are a big long for a guy. I tend to get that red pupil in photos too, though I don't know why.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
I reckon that the 30's are the best time of your life, 40 kinda of just thuds, 50's well quite good, 60's hmmm 70's not too bad but hey I am 3/4 of a century oops way to go onward and upward so they say.Take care God Bless you all. In Divine Friendship and Love.
I think I prefered my 20s to my 30s. I'll have to wait and see if your characterisations pan out. Maybe come back to this thread in 10 years.

I've heard stories about people over 100 saying that they are enjoying that age the most!
Old 08-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
Greg
Administrator

That's a great picture Dave! Good to see the face behind the person.

I don't know what the best decade of my life is. But realizing how fast they go. Hard to believe I will be turning 64 in a few days!

_/|\_ "Cut through the chains of agency and perceive the Single Cause!"

Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Get busy?
Taking that out of context Dave...

I still waste a lot of time, but I make a lot better use of my time now than when I was your age - hell, I was still partying at 37 lol ...but I suppose it had to happen as it did...(I had the first 36 SRF Lessons under my bed for 14 years - would look at them every now and then)

Mccoy posted a little while ago about using death, our mortality, as inspiration....it's actually something I try to remind myself of as often as I can - "WAKE UP! the darkness of maya fast approaches!!"

In the SRF book about the life of Dr. Lewis, here's a few things Doctor says:

"No doubt the greatest sorrow is to realize at the end of the trail, when the drama of life is over, that you have not given your best....Think how miserable you will feel when you realize you have not done your best to follow the channel God has sent."

"Get busy and follow the channel He has sent, because the Master's love and consciousness are vibrating in the divine eternal, and always will be. The great presence of God is in each and every one of us, that great eternal light of God. It is yours if you will have it. Make the effort."

I typed that out as much for me as for you.

It's Convo week, what a joyous time...I haven't been able to go for awhile but I always feel a little of that joy that the 4-5,000 devotees generate
Old 08-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
That's a great picture Dave! Good to see the face behind the person.

I don't know what the best decade of my life is. But realizing how fast they go. Hard to believe I will be turning 64 in a few days!
So you've reached that old Beatles song reference! I think it is true isn't it that the older you get the more time seems to fly. Still Greg, imagine living until 110 years. That would mean you are only about halfway through yet!
Old 08-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1yogi View Post
Taking that out of context Dave...

I still waste a lot of time, but I make a lot better use of my time now than when I was your age - hell, I was still partying at 37 lol ...but I suppose it had to happen as it did...(I had the first 36 SRF Lessons under my bed for 14 years - would look at them every now and then)

Mccoy posted a little while ago about using death, our mortality, as inspiration....it's actually something I try to remind myself of as often as I can - "WAKE UP! the darkness of maya fast approaches!!"

In the SRF book about the life of Dr. Lewis, here's a few things Doctor says:

"No doubt the greatest sorrow is to realize at the end of the trail, when the drama of life is over, that you have not given your best....Think how miserable you will feel when you realize you have not done your best to follow the channel God has sent."

"Get busy and follow the channel He has sent, because the Master's love and consciousness are vibrating in the divine eternal, and always will be. The great presence of God is in each and every one of us, that great eternal light of God. It is yours if you will have it. Make the effort."

I typed that out as much for me as for you.

It's Convo week, what a joyous time...I haven't been able to go for awhile but I always feel a little of that joy that the 4-5,000 devotees generate
It's true. And I certainly don't want to get to the end of this journey with regret but I suspect many people that live good lives inevitably may feel that way nonetheless, which is kind of paradoxically sad. Still, once you know that God exists half of your incarnation is complete. A lot of people, I am conjecturing, may go through life not even knowing if God exists in their own experience. Fortunately I have had inner experiences that confirm it for me. But think about the millions that don't. I would consider them with genuine pity.

5000 devotees! Amazing. I don't think I will ever attend a convocation in this life unless SRF stream it live in the future. My parents are going to be in California at the beginning of next year so I wonder if they will visit Lake Shrine or the other places. It's funny, I have had dreams of being at Mother Centre. I had one particular dream once where I was using a vinyl disk at some SRF centre and Master came in and talked with me. He then left in a car. Such a bizarre dream but I do wonder if it was my past life.

Still partying at 37 too, Mike. You are not alone.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #12
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It's true. And I certainly don't want to get to the end of this journey with regret but I suspect many people that live good lives inevitably may feel that way nonetheless, which is kind of paradoxically sad. Still, once you know that God exists half of your incarnation is complete. A lot of people, I am conjecturing, may go through life not even knowing if God exists in their own experience. Fortunately I have had inner experiences that confirm it for me. But think about the millions that don't. I would consider them with genuine pity.

5000 devotees! Amazing. I don't think I will ever attend a convocation in this life unless SRF stream it live in the future. My parents are going to be in California at the beginning of next year so I wonder if they will visit Lake Shrine or the other places. It's funny, I have had dreams of being at Mother Centre. I had one particular dream once where I was using a vinyl disk at some SRF centre and Master came in and talked with me. He then left in a car. Such a bizarre dream but I do wonder if it was my past life.

Still partying at 37 too, Mike. You are not alone.
You know God and Guru are there, but it's what you do with what you know....that's what I meant by get busy ...the years fly by ...

And to be clear, partying for me was many years ago....another lifetime...

**And hey, you never know - you live in UK so more costly longer trip for you, but maybe sometime in the future you'll get the chance to attend Convo....some devotees say they prefer retreats, more silence....but the vibes at Convo are wonderful...maybe your dream of being at MC is prophetic

Last edited by mike1yogi; 08-08-2017 at 02:57 PM.
mike1yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #13
Dave

I've had a few dreams of being there. So maybe. I remember one was like being in a museum area. I haven't been there so I don't know, nor have I seen the inside of it except a few pictures.

Yeah I know you are older than 37. I just wrote awkwardly.

I wish I had more willpower to change my lifestyle. The trouble is, because I don't do very much I get bored very easily. I thought that meditation might help with that so that I could learn patience. But you can't lead a life of idleness and expect not to get bored even if you meditate.

As Yogananda said, activity even in ego is better than inactivity in idleness. The balance of activity and meditation was recommended.

You use fillers like movies, music, etc. And it must be hard if you don't use those fillers to communicate in relationship with others, most of whom use those fillers. So how easy is it to find company that doesn't depend upon "fillers" and somehow lead a meditative life? It's a balance that needs to be struck but I don't see how it is possible unless you go to an ashram of some kind. To be realistic. And then, at advanced ages you aren't going to become a monk or a nun unless you are lucky. So what is left?