A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Open Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
khitomer

Excerpt from Sri Bhupendranath Sanyal's Gita commentary

Always being in the sound waves of 'OM' and by the minds fixation in it yoga or unity is achieved. Thus listen to the sound of 'OM'-always.

Excessive Pranayams steady the air within you. After sometime doing your sadhan with great concentration, at the start you will hear a vibration of somewhat a fine net like substance. It will not seem to be coming from afar or as if it were from some living being from another planet; but due to excessive pranayams, that steady the vayu, a sound develops which is followed by the sound of a bell ringing at a distance. In the beginning it will create a fluctuation in the mind, but steadying the self in it, the previous sound changes into the sound of 'Aum or 'Om' which is an existing sound and gives the Sadhak a still and steady condition of the mind and heart: deep sounds of veena, venu and conchshell are also experienced. Says the great saint poet Kabir "rag rag bole Ramji, rera rome rara-ronkar" or your whole body says Ramji and your pores of the body sound with 'Om'. This spiritual sweet sound fills the body and mind with peaceful stillness and steadiness. All gets lost in this sound and from it appears true knowledge of the spirit or Atman. This can also be termed as yoga, (unification) or relization of the self. It is writen:

anahatasya cabdasay
tasya cabdusya yo dhuanih
dhwaner-antar gatam jyotir
jyotir anargatam manaah:
tanmano vilayam yati
tadvisno paramam padam

Meaning:-

Concentrating the mind on the spiritual sound, a light will appear. Steady, stillness of the self is experienced in this light and one's self is lost in it-this is the attainment of Vishnu's feet.
khitomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
thisbody

thisbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
जय गुरु

Jai Guru. Sanyal Baba was a yogi of the highest order. Reading his Gita will raise your conciousness. He often said to listen for Krishna's flute and let it pull you deep into meditation. Here is an old picture of Sanyal Baba with his Krishna murti Rajrajeshwar-

http://i.imgur.com/10bkedn.jpg

He later gave this murti to a disciple to take care of. She has left her body but her children take care of Him to this day. Here is a pic from a couple months ago-

http://i.imgur.com/4LRIn4H.jpg

Sanyal Baba actually had 2 Krishnas and gave the 2nd one to a disciple in Kolkata- but its exact whereabouts aren't known to me or any of my gurubhai.

Sanyal Baba was very devoted to Krishna and the Gita. Although he wasn't a sectarian, he worshiped Shiva and Divine Mother also
जय गुरु is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
Dave

He sounds thoroughly "religionized" to me. Can't quite break away from idol worship. Perhaps he was setting an example of how to be a bigot.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #5
Dave

I am a simple man. I can understand the difference between idols and God. You don't need any degree in any subject to understand such a simple concept.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
Dave

It goes:-

Kalicut

Calcutta

Kolkata

It is the city of Kali. That fearsome destroyer, with severed heads on galands for a necklace, tongue sticking out fearsomely dripping blood, and so on and so forth. A beautiful caring and kind depiction of the mother of the universe.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
जय गुरु

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
He sounds thoroughly "religionized" to me. Can't quite break away from idol worship. Perhaps he was setting an example of how to be a bigot.
Insulting a saint and one of my Babas... what is wrong with you? If you disagree at least express it politely. This is a spiritual message board.

Maybe if you actually read Sanyal Baba's Gita you would understand...

The Kriya Yogi (who actually does Guru-given sadhana) sees everything outside the self as also residing within himself. Krishna is in our own bodies and worshiped through yogic technique.

Puja and worship of murtis is just another way to develop a relationship with God. Krishna talks about this in the Gita itself. It doesn't need to be broken away from, but the yogi understands it differently.

Just because you don't understand doesn't make something wrong.

Sanyal Baba was full of compassion and excepted everyone, so the opposite of a bigot.

You know nothing of him but insult him... Do some self reflection please
Old 09-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #8
mccoy
supernal user

जय गुरु,
that's Dave, he speaks what he thinks and we sure cannot blame him for that.

He's not insulting but extemporaneously expressing some critical thoughts which are occurring in his mind in an undisputably undiplomatic way. The thoughts may be right, they may be wrong.

I found he's also pretty quick to revise his opinions if logical arguments show him that he's not perfectly right.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:16 PM   #9
mike1yogi

I'm new to posting on this board - this place would be less than what it is without Dave. As mccoy says, he lets you know what he thinks, right or wrong, and he is sincere...reminds of myself in my younger days.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:33 AM   #10
khitomer

We all have our foibles. Dave's a good lad but he has frequent doubts about certain things. If you remain on the rim of spiritual teachings looking in, without actually taking the plunge, intellectual misapprehension and what Master called spiritual indigestion results. Still, I'll always have time for the bloke because we've known each other a long time and have a lot in common.

I used to own the 3 volumes of Sanyal Gita. Sanyal Mahasaya was indeed a fully realized yogi, according to Master. Kriyananda said that Guruji told him only four of Lahiri Mahasaya's direct disciples had attained the paramukta (siddha) state; Sriyukteswar, Sw. Pranabananda, Panchanon Bhattacharya, and Sanyal Mahasaya.

As far as 'idol worship' goes, its very simple. Sri Ramakrishna for example, was an avatar and had experienced Nirbikalpa samadhi, yet he still worshipped the Mother in Her murti at the temple, as well as the other deities. Why is that? Its because even after realizing God's formless being, though one sees everything composed of Satchitananda, the sweetness of the personal aspect remains. Thakur used to say, he preferred the personal relationship with God, keeping himself individualized so as to enjoy the Beloved in a dualistic relationship. He said many know the ocean contains the drop, but how few realize the ocean is in the drop.

Here is what he said about 'idol worship' when Sri M criticized it, having gotten the idea that Vedantic spirit looked askance on mere idolatry:

M:"Sir, suppose one believes in God with form. Certainly, He is not the clay image!"

Sri Ramakrishna (interrupting):"But why clay? It is an image of spirit."

M could not understand the significance of this "image of spirit".

"But sir," he said to the Master, "one should explain to those who worship the clay image that it is not God, and that, while worshipping it, they should have God in view and not the clay image. One should not worship clay."

Master (sharply):"That's the one hobby of you Calcutta people - giving lectures and bringing others to light! Nobody ever stops to consider how to get light himself. Who are you to teach others? He who is the Lord of the universe will teach everyone. He alone teaches us, who has created this universe ; who has made the sun and moon, men and beasts, and all other beings; who has provided means for their sustenance; who has given children parents and endowed them with love to bring them up. The Lord has done so many things - will He not show people the way to worship Him? If they need teaching, then He will be the Teacher. He is our Inner Guide. Suppose there is an error in worshipping the clay image; doesn't God know that through it He alone is invoked? He will be pleased with that very worship. Why should you get a headache over it? You had better try for knowledge and devotion yourself. You were talking of worshipping the clay image. Even if the image is made of clay, there is need for that sort of worship. God Himself has provided mankind with different forms of worship. He who is the Lord of the universe has arranged all these forms to suit different men in different stages of knowledge. The mother cooks different dishes to suit the stomachs of her different children. Suppose she has five children. If there is a fish to cook, she prepares various dishes from it - pilau, pickled fish, fried fish, and so on - to suit their different tastes and powers of digestion."

Manomohan, a devotee, had a long conversation with Sri Ramakrishna. He asked Sri Ramakrishna: "Some people say God is formless, others say He is with form, and again others call Him Krishna, Shiva, or Kali. Could you tell us what the real nature of God is?"

Sri Ramakrishna smiled and said: "He is sometimes with form, He is sometimes formless, and again He is beyond both. He is all-pervading. It is difficult to ascertain His real nature. Just as there is nothing to compare gold with except gold, so there is nothing equal to God. He is the cause of the gross objects as well as of the subtle mind and intellect. For example: The same substance in its solid form is ice, in its liquid form is water, and in its gaseous form is vapour. According to the mental attitude of the spiritual aspirant, God manifests Himself. A jnani experiences God as all-pervading, formless space, and a devotee perceives God with a particular form. So, if you sincerely want to know the real nature of God, meditate on Him in solitude. Have patience. Surrender yourself to him and pray. When the right time comes, you will see Him."

Last edited by khitomer; 09-14-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:27 AM   #11
khitomer

Sri Ramakrishna is sitting on a step of the Shiva temples. It is 5 p.m. Adhar, Dr. Nitai, M. and a couple of other devotees are sitting near him.

Sri Ramakrishna (to the devotees): “You see, my nature is changing”.

As if he is going to talk about something secret, he comes down a step and sits beside the devotees. Then he talks to them:

“You are devotees. I’m not afraid to tell you. These days I don’t see the spirit-form of God. Now I only see Him in the concrete form of a human being. It’s my nature to see, touch and embrace Him. But now He says to me: “You have assumed a body. Enjoy me in human forms, in a concrete form”.

God certainly resides in all beings, but there is greater manifestation of Him in man.

Is man something insignificant, brother? Man can think of God, he can meditate on the Infinite. Other living beings can’t do this. He is present in other beings – in plants and trees, in all elements – but there is greater manifestation of God in a human being. The essence of fire is in all beings, in all things, but there is greater manifestation in wood.

Rama said to Lakshmana: “Look brother, an elephant is such a big animal – but it can’t think of God”. Then again, there is a greater manifestation of Him in an Incarnation of God. Rama said to Lakshmana: “Brother, when you see deep ecstasy (Urjita Bhakti) in a man – laughing, weeping, dancing and singing – know for certain, that I am there”.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:20 AM   #12
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by जय गुरु View Post
Insulting a saint and one of my Babas... what is wrong with you? If you disagree at least express it politely. This is a spiritual message board.

Maybe if you actually read Sanyal Baba's Gita you would understand...

The Kriya Yogi (who actually does Guru-given sadhana) sees everything outside the self as also residing within himself. Krishna is in our own bodies and worshiped through yogic technique.

Puja and worship of murtis is just another way to develop a relationship with God. Krishna talks about this in the Gita itself. It doesn't need to be broken away from, but the yogi understands it differently.

Just because you don't understand doesn't make something wrong.

Sanyal Baba was full of compassion and excepted everyone, so the opposite of a bigot.

You know nothing of him but insult him... Do some self reflection please
Apologies, didn't mean to insult though it certainly sounded that way.

Actually I like your avatar. I had been thinking of buying a statue of krishna with flute. I can't find any where I live though. I tried the Hare Krishnas but their statues weren't the type I had in mind.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #13
जय गुरु

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Apologies, didn't mean to insult though it certainly sounded that way.

Actually I like your avatar. I had been thinking of buying a statue of krishna with flute. I can't find any where I live though. I tried the Hare Krishnas but their statues weren't the type I had in mind.
Thanks for your apology, no worries.

I like to think I'm fairly level headed but when I feel saints are being insulted I start to feel heated!