A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Health, Diet and Recipes

Old 08-17-2017, 02:40 AM   #1
mccoy
supernal user

Tofu -Tofu

Tofu is very nourishing and even the organic variety can be very reasonably priced. Since I discovered a good organic Tofu at 2 US$ per pound, that's definitely going to become a staple in my diet. It's rich in protein (16% in this brand I just bought), poor in carbs, moderate in fats, can contain calcium and contains iron (good for vegans).

I'm going to build up a recipe repository here.

In the summer cold tofu, or Hiyayakko, it's just delicious.
It's a cube of fridge-cold firm tofu with toppings on it, usually thinly sliced onions, seaweeds, some soysauce, with a variety of vegan choices. The traditional bonito flakes of course go away to be replace by something else vegan like....

You can try other toppings for Hiyayakko such as Japanese karashi mustard, shiso leaves or a citrus flavoured soy sauce called ponzu.

How To Prepare

Keep the tofu chilled in the refrigerator until you are ready to cut it into sizes for serving. Make each serving approximately 6cm wide and 4cm high.

Prepare the spring onion by washing it then finely slicing into small pieces. You can also grate some fresh ginger here to compliment the spring onion.

Place the block of tofu on a small dish and garnish the top with your sliced spring onion, grated ginger and a handful of katsuo-bushi. Finish with a small amount of soy sauce, but not so much as to distract from the delicate soy flavour.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
rasa
The it one

Tofu - a great vegetarian junk food to fill you up once every 6 months!

8 reasons not to make tofu a staple with number 4 being the best for those who go after the non-GMO variety
Old 08-30-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
mccoy
supernal user

Rasa, thanks for posting the 'other side of it', so to speak, because soy is such a debated issue.

You may already know that especially in America diet is not a food regime, rather it has become a religion. The main religions now are the paleo, the vegans, the low-carbers. Each religions has many offshoots and branches, some of'em extreme, like the followers of a ketogenic diet.

The site you posted is apparently a paleo site and uses all the arguments typical of that religion to oppose the use of soy. Just like a good radical Christian would try and discredit the Hindu religion, saying that reincarnation is bull$h1t because this and that.

The 8 points cited do not evaluate all aspects of the issues, rather a part of it. Only one part of the truth, whereas we know that thr truth has many facets. For example:

1) Soy is GMO mainly. That's all right but we should always choose organic soy based tofu, which is cheap just the same. Are we sure it's organic so non-OGM by law? We cannot be 100% sure it's not a fraud but unless we farm our own food we cannot be 100% sure of anything

2)Phytoestrogens and breast cancer. The issue has been a subject of many scientific articles. It is pretty complex, since there are alpha receptors and beta estrogen receptors and that makes a difference when breast cancer is concerned. Some authoritative articles even show that soy products and tofu are preventive against breast cancer, prostate cancer and all cancers where sex-hormones have a function.

pls see:
https://nutritionfacts.org/2014/09/1...breast-cancer/

and:
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:20 AM   #4
mccoy
supernal user

Let's get on with the detrimental or allegedly detrimental effects of soy:

Point #3 of Dr Drake's objection: Soy desrupts thyroidal functions.

Well, genistein may be goitrogenic, but genistein is the very same phytoestrogen with strong anti-cancer properties. The goitrogenic property may be coutneracted by making sure we eat enough iodine. Vegans should make sure they use iodized salt or simply take supplements. Seaweeds may be dangerous. I just take calibrated supplements were natural Iodine is extracted from seaweeds. Milk contains iodine.
Cases of thyroidal dysfunction of course should be examined singularly and in some of them it may be good to avoid soy products. But, luckily, not everyone has a disfunctional thyroid. Not like the paleo priests would like us to believe.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:28 AM   #5
mccoy
supernal user

Point #4 of Dr Drake's objection: lectins, phytates and other antinutrients.

Pls understand that the paleo religion demonizes lectins and phytates, whereas recent plant-based science has ascertained that they exhibit hormetic and xeno-hormetic porperties, they are plant-based toxins which in small amount boost the immune system.

The allegedly antinutrient properties of phytates have been underlined in old literature based on tests on rats and puppies. More recent literature on studies on himan beings tends to play down the negative prooperties of phytates. In a few words, phytates do not seem to bind organic iron and minerals so much or at least they do nto compromise much minerals absorption.

OK, some people may be sensitive to plant-based toxins even in small amount. that's not an healthy condition though, and must be dealt with in the proper way, even eliminating plant-based toxins and trying to cure the condition.

Again, luckily not everyone is unhealthy and not everyone is sensitive to lectins and phytates. According to the paleo everyone is, but that's a funny concept that my belief should become reality.

I believe I'm as much spiritually evolved as Mahavatar Babaji, and then more.

Does that make me so evolved in reality? I wish it!!
Old 08-30-2017, 01:38 AM   #6
mccoy
supernal user

OK, I'm enjoying this.
Point #5 of Dr. Drake: Tofu and dementia. Apparenlty, the effect may be caused by chemicals added to tofu. not all tofus of course and especially so not all organic tofus
Again, Dr greger is a formidable analyzer of all things vegan. I do not agree with some of his ideas, especially against EVOO, he remains a redoubtable figure though, with a mission to help people.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:09 AM   #7
mccoy
supernal user

Objection #6 against B12:

but of course B12 is found in NO plant-based food, regardless of soy products. Those who are against taking supplements should not eat vegan, B12 is the absolutely Necessary supplement in vegan diets. No discussion about that.

Vitamin D: again, vegans, vegetarians and even omnivores who don't eat oily fish, unless they regularly sunbathe in ideal conditions, should take D3 supplements. that's another issue where there is almost absolute agreement.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:11 AM   #8
mccoy
supernal user

Objections #7 and #8 (digestion, heart problems). I won't argue heart problems because I never heard about that. Digestion: digestion of tofu is not harder than digestion of beans or digestion of some meats and cheese. Some time may be taken for optimal digestion. Enzymes are available, even plant-based proteolitic enzymes to start being accustomed.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:24 AM   #9
mccoy
supernal user

TAKEAWAY LESSON AND OPTIMAL QUANTITIES

Tofu is a very good and nourishing addition to a vegan diet. Of course too much can revers its beneficial effects. Too much, according to the analysis of Dr. Greger, may be over 3-5 servings of soy products per day.

1 serving soymilk = 1 cup = 250 cc
1 serving tofu (FDA serving size) = 85 gr

3 servings tofu = 258 gr = about 40 grams of soy protein
3 servings soymilk = 750 gr = about 30 grams of protein

Hard to go over the 5-servings per day limit, a conspicuos hunger would be needed
Old 08-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #10
Dave

I think there might be minute traces of poison in Tofu. I haven't researched for it yet, but I am sure it might exist.

Better not to eat at all I think, Mccoy.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:47 PM   #11
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I think there might be minute traces of poison in Tofu. I haven't researched for it yet, but I am sure it might exist.

Better not to eat at all I think, Mccoy.
Dave, are you making a joke with mccoy?

I know he (mccoy) has posted about that topic (toxins in food) more than once...

Last edited by mike1yogi; 08-30-2017 at 06:09 PM.
mike1yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #12
mike1yogi

Speaking of soy, I don't seem to tolerate it - includes soy milk, tofu etc...don't like how it "feels" (pretty in tune to that sort of thing body wise)....interestingly though, I enjoy the edamame I got from Costco - just put some Bragg's Liquid Amino on it (like soy sauce except less sodium...good stuff, use it all the time)...tofu - maybe I will give it another try....have you ever tried Tempeh? Looks to be a firmer than tofu soy product with more protein and fiber... I may have to look into that too

Like tofu, tempeh is made from soybeans, but it is a whole soybean product with different nutritional characteristics and textural qualities. Tempeh's fermentation process and its retention of the whole bean give it a higher content of protein, dietary fiber, and vitamins
Tempeh - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempeh

Old 08-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #13
rasa
The it one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
Point #4 of Dr Drake's objection: lectins, phytates and other antinutrients.

Pls understand that the paleo religion demonizes lectins and phytates, whereas recent plant-based science has ascertained that they exhibit hormetic and xeno-hormetic porperties, they are plant-based toxins which in small amount boost the immune system.

The allegedly antinutrient properties of phytates have been underlined in old literature based on tests on rats and puppies. More recent literature on studies on himan beings tends to play down the negative prooperties of phytates. In a few words, phytates do not seem to bind organic iron and minerals so much or at least they do nto compromise much minerals absorption.
To begin with, forget about rats and puppies. Forget health sites, forget studies and forget paleo. I merely ate tofu myself and then wondered first,
"why do I feel like I anti-ate?", "why do I feel LESS nourished?" and lastly but not leastly, "why do I feel like crap?"

THEN you go online and THEN you look up stuff and take a consensus from many and those with conflicting opinions. Not before. For the most part it's a simple science called "listen to your body". Now if you want to add to the endless hordes of studies and continually spout off "science" you join the other religions as well.

Soybeans are for horses. A horse's digestion can break that down. Humans? I'm not going to pass judgement on the different varieties out there.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:52 PM   #14
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa View Post
To begin with, forget about rats and puppies. Forget health sites, forget studies and forget paleo. I merely ate tofu myself and then wondered first,
"why do I feel like I anti-ate?", "why do I feel LESS nourished?" and lastly but not leastly, "why do I feel like crap?"
THEN you go online and THEN you look up stuff and take a consensus from many and those with conflicting opinions. Not before. For the most part it's a simple science called "listen to your body". Now if you want to add to the endless hordes of studies and continually spout off "science" you join the other religions as well.
Soybeans are for horses. A horse's digestion can break that down. Humans? I'm not going to pass judgement on the different varieties out there.
Rasa, of course if you do not tolerate tofu, then you shouldn't eat it!
And by the way, at first I hated it, such a bland a tasteless food. Then I tried some spices and flavourings and it is much, much better. My body does not object.

Also, pls do not construe all the above posts as a barricade of fire against your opinions. On the contrary, the link you posted has been surely useful because allowed to further elucidate some aspects which have some truth in them but are being blown totally out of proportions by the paleo community (the Weston price foundation specifically).

Last but not least, my geeky side (which often overwhelms all other personality aspects) just likes to take any opportunity to run unbridled until exhaustion occurs.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:55 PM   #15
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1yogi View Post
Speaking of soy, I don't seem to tolerate it - includes soy milk, tofu etc...don't like how it "feels" (pretty in tune to that sort of thing body wise)....interestingly though, I enjoy the edamame I got from Costco - just put some Bragg's Liquid Amino on it (like soy sauce except less sodium...good stuff, use it all the time)...tofu - maybe I will give it another try....have you ever tried Tempeh? Looks to be a firmer than tofu soy product with more protein and fiber... I may have to look into that too
Like tofu, tempeh is made from soybeans, but it is a whole soybean product with different nutritional characteristics and textural qualities. Tempeh's fermentation process and its retention of the whole bean give it a higher content of protein, dietary fiber, and vitamins
Tempeh is absolutely nourishing, a great food for vegans especially so those who work out and want to build muscle mass.

Its only drawback relative to tofu is that it tends to be more expensive, at least here, at least so far.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #16
Bryon777

I got really sick while drinking large amounts of soy milk for weeks. When I linked it to the soy intake and stopped, I got better.
Bryon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #17
जय गुरु

Quote:
Tempeh is absolutely nourishing, a great food for vegans especially so those who work out and want to build muscle mass.

Its only drawback relative to tofu is that it tends to be more expensive, at least here, at least so far.
I don't tolerate soy in general (soy sauce/braggs is fine but tofu and processed soy just sits inside me) but I digest tempeh with no problem. If you have trouble with tofu you should try it!

I saute it in some olive oil with mustard seeds, then once it is browned a little I add a splash of apple cider vinegar and some braggs. I keep cooking it until most of the liquid is evaporated and it is great.
जय गुरु is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #18
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon777 View Post
I got really sick while drinking large amounts of soy milk for weeks. When I linked it to the soy intake and stopped, I got better.
How large amounts? Overdoing something good may turn it bad. Overeating sattvic foods turns them tamasic.

Also, I find that soymilk can vary significantly as to taste and other properties.

In my case I find soymilk definitely more digestible than cow milk, whereas cowmilk yogurt remains pretty digestible.

But rereading your comment, the part where you get really sick, I believe you may have some intolerance to lectins (some legumes phytochemicals) and in this case you should moderate its consumption, or approach soy products with tiny amounts and increase vedry very gradually.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #19
mccoy
supernal user

The pretty annoying news here is that the good, cheap and organic source of tofu I discovered is no more sold in that shop nor anywhere else.
So no more daily for now, just soymilk and western beans...
Old 09-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #20
Always God

Quote:
In my case I find soymilk definitely more digestible than cow milk, whereas cowmilk yogurt remains pretty digestible.
Cow's milk is designed for baby cows, not humans. Many people are lactose intolerant to cow's milk, and it took a genetic mutation to make it tolerable for some humans.

It is now regarded by many as antithetical to good health, as well as morally repugnant due to the treatment of these beautiful animals.
Always God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #21
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always God View Post
Cow's milk is designed for baby cows, not humans. Many people are lactose intolerant to cow's milk, and it took a genetic mutation to make it tolerable for some humans. ..
AG, just to be scientifically fair, the same mutation which made groups of populations tolerant to lactose gave them a huge evolutionary advantage when plain survival was a serious issue.

Now of course, this mutation is no more necessary.

Last edited by mccoy; 09-17-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #22
Dave

If a genetic mutation makes it taste so good I'm not against it. According to evolution theory mutations happen all the time.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #23
Always God

Quote:
AG, just to be scientifically fair, the same mutation which made groups of populations tolerant to lactose gave them a huge evolutionary advantage when plain survival was a serious issue.

Now of course, this mutation is no more necessary.
Be scientifically fair yourself, the reason why it took a GM was because man was not deigned to imbibe another species' milk. We have our own from our mothers, AND WHEN WE ARE CHILDREN.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #24
Always God

Quote:
If a genetic mutation makes it taste so good I'm not against it. According to evolution theory mutations happen all the time.
For me, taste is not the the criterion for whether we should drink milk. It might be for you, however.

As spiritual people today, we need to decide things based on spiritual principles. Surely, compassion should play a part. Surely, the health of the planet should play a part. Surely, our own good health should play a part. Dairy violates all three. Do some research and do not simply base your opinions on the traditional reliance on dairy as a healthy food. It is not.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #25
Dave

Quote:
For me, taste is not the the criterion for whether we should drink milk. It might be for you, however.

As spiritual people today, we need to decide things based on spiritual principles. Surely, compassion should play a part. Surely, the health of the planet should play a part. Surely, our own good health should play a part. Dairy violates all three. Do some research and do not simply base your opinions on the traditional reliance on dairy as a healthy food. It is not.
Aside from cruelty to animals which is despicable, I don't drink milk for health reasons but simply for taste.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #26
Always God

Quote:
Aside from cruelty to animals which is despicable, I don't drink milk for health reasons but simply for taste.
Drinking milk for taste when you know the cruelty is despicable????? Your choice.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #27
Dave

Quote:
Drinking milk for taste when you know the cruelty is despicable????? Your choice.
No, because the milk I get is farmed responsibly otherwise people would be up in arms about it here where I live. It wouldn't be condoned.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #28
Always God

Quote:
No, because the milk I get is farmed responsibly otherwise people would be up in arms about it here where I live. It wouldn't be condoned.
I do not think there are any responsible or humane dairies. Tell me where you source your dairy. For example, pretty well every dairy gives up the male calves for meat.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #29
Always God

http://humanefacts.org/humane-dairy/
Old 09-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #30
Dave

Quote:
I do not think there are any responsible or humane dairies. Tell me where you source your dairy. For example, pretty well every dairy gives up the male calves for meat.
If you don't think there are any responsible or human dairies that is your problem only. There are. But you are conflating milk with butchering cows. They aren't the same thing. And animals have always been eaten in the history of the world. If you want to stop that, tell God to do something about it instead of humans.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #31
Always God

Quote:
If you don't think there are any responsible or human dairies that is your problem only. There are. But you are conflating milk with butchering cows. They aren't the same thing. And animals have always been eaten in the history of the world. If you want to stop that, tell God to do something about it instead of humans.
God works through US. WE are the ones who have to make the world a more compassionate place. WE are the ones who have to change our habits to co-exist in a more ethical way with our fellow beings. WE are the ones who have to consider the whole picture of the environmental impact of the foods we choose to eat.

Also, the “humane dairy” concept is a complete myth. The ONLY dairies that are humane are Ahimsa dairies. They don't separate calf from cow until the calf is completely weaned. They don’t send unwanted calves for slaughter. They don’t slaughter their cows when their milking days are finished. Unfortunately there are very few Ahimsa dairies in the world though.

Murder, rape and incest have been around since the beginning of time too, but that doesn’t mean they’re right !!!!

Here's one man's perspective, which might appeal to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAkfKCMJNfs

Peace, brother.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:30 AM   #32
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Also, the “humane dairy” concept is a complete myth. The ONLY dairies that are humane are Ahimsa dairies. They don't separate calf from cow until the calf is completely weaned. They don’t send unwanted calves for slaughter. They don’t slaughter their cows when their milking days are finished. Unfortunately there are very few Ahimsa dairies in the world though.
That's a true statement, objectively and unfortunately.
By drinkig milk and eating cheese we choose to remain unsensitive to such ethical issues.

On the other hand, there are other levels of ethical issues, such as eating live and sentient beings like vegetables (Yogananda wrote a whole chapter on the experiments of Chandra Bose).

Traditional vegans may be regarded as brutish and unsensitive by strict ethical fruitarians who choose not to kill vegetables by eating only the fruits of plants.

I myself couldn't eat sprouts any longer because it felt to me like chewing babies.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #33
Always God

Quote:
By drinkig milk and eating cheese we choose to remain unsensitive to such ethical issues.

On the other hand, there are other levels of ethical issues, such as eating live and sentient beings like vegetables (Yogananda wrote a whole chapter on the experiments of Chandra Bose).

Traditional vegans may be regarded as brutish and unsensitive by strict ethical fruitarians who choose not to kill vegetables by eating only the fruits of plants.

I myself couldn't eat sprouts any longer because it felt to me like chewing babies.
You know that's a red herring, McCoy. The whole nervous system is totally different.

You might wish to read:

http://www.worldpeacediet.com/2014/1...a-vegan-to-do/
Old 09-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #34
mike1yogi

Quote:

Seriously, now you guys are going to say that you can't eat veggies or you aren't practicing ahimsa

Master ate cheese btw - yes, i know dairy farms have changed their methods, but you don't think that they were butchering cows then too?

Not eating cheese isn't going to change the world - more and more people meditating will...Sri Yuk ate fish and eggs before becoming a swami.

Speaking of ahimsa, I love animals, I even throw spiders outside if I catch them - of course pretty soon around here that's a death sentence as it's getting cold - but sometimes I have to send them to their next life.

A friend and long-time member of our small SRF group will spend time trying to get mice to go into "humane" mouse traps - locking them into rooms, blocking the way so they have to go into the containers/traps, then taking them into some field a fair distance away....I understand his motives....

I asked him if getting a cat was more humane. And does he know that those mice are mostly going to freeze/starve to death (if it is cold - if they are young, being taken from their nest is a death sentence) unless they find another house to live in.

I use the standard mouse traps...Do I like it when I hear the snap of the trap? No, but it's necessary....so is my friend practicing ahimsa while I'm not?

I don't think it's so simple. In the AOY, Sri Yuk says that literally following ahimsa isn't possible. He says it's what's in your heat that counts, that sometimes man has to exterminate harmful pests....do you think MC possibly will call an exterminator if they had a rat problem?

Old 09-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #35
Always God

Quote:
Seriously, now you guys are going to say that you can't eat veggies or you aren't practicing ahimsa

Master ate cheese btw - yes, i know dairy farms have changed their methods, but you don't think that they were butchering cows then too?

Not eating cheese isn't going to change the world - more and more people meditating will...Sri Yuk ate fish and eggs before becoming a swami.

Speaking of ahimsa, I love animals, I even throw spiders outside if I catch them - of course pretty soon around here that's a death sentence as it's getting cold - but sometimes I have to send them to their next life.

A friend and long-time member of our small SRF group will spend time trying to get mice to go into "humane" mouse traps - locking them into rooms, blocking the way so they have to go into the containers/traps, then taking them into some field a fair distance away....I understand his motives....

I asked him if getting a cat was more humane. And does he know that those mice are mostly going to freeze/starve to death (if it is cold - if they are young, being taken from their nest is a death sentence) unless they find another house to live in.

I use the standard mouse traps...Do I like it when I hear the snap of the trap? No, but it's necessary....so is my friend practicing ahimsa while I'm not?

I don't think it's so simple. In the AOY, Sri Yuk says that literally following ahimsa isn't possible. He says it's what's in your heat that counts, that sometimes man has to exterminate harmful pests....do you think MC possibly will call an exterminator if they had a rat problem?

A lot of good points, but a lot of self-justificatory comments too. You cannot rely on what you think others are doing. Look at the situation. And if you can practice ahimsa, why would you try to excuse yourself of that responsibility by saying 'well, others did it.'

We are talking about the dairy industry. If you think it's okay to take a baby from its mother shortly after birth, kill the male babies for veal, forcibly impregnate cows, milk them till their milking days are over and then kill them, etc. etc., fill your boots. But please do not try to rationalize something so obvious.

One suggestion I have for you: pray to Master and ask him what he thinks. You are attempting to rely on him. So why not present the facts to him and see his response. Do you think he would be in favour of the dairy industry.

We also know so much more about the benefits and negatives surrounding food, than in his day. We also know the degradation that the animal industry is wreaking on the environment.

Look at the facts and apply the spiritual principles. Simple. And for Pete's sake, stop trying to find examples from the past to justify something so obviously oxymoronic as saying that that the dairy industry is humane. It's just a joke. Look at the facts and base your reaction on that.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #36
mike1yogi

Quote:
A lot of good points, but a lot of self-justificatory comments too. You cannot rely on what you think others are doing. Look at the situation. And if you can practice ahimsa, why would you try to excuse yourself of that responsibility by saying 'well, others did it.'

We are talking about the dairy industry. If you think it's okay to take a baby from its mother shortly after birth, kill the male babies for veal, forcibly impregnate cows, milk them till their milking days are over and then kill them, etc. etc., fill your boots. But please do not try to rationalize something so obvious.

One suggestion I have for you: pray to Master and ask him what he thinks. You are attempting to rely on him. So why not present the facts to him and see his response. Do you think he would be in favour of the dairy industry.

We also know so much more about the benefits and negatives surrounding food, than in his day. We also know the degradation that the animal industry is wreaking on the environment.

Look at the facts and apply the spiritual principles. Simple. And for Pete's sake, stop trying to find examples from the past to justify something so obviously oxymoronic as saying that that the dairy industry is humane. It's just a joke. Look at the facts and base your reaction on that.
I know you like to debate, but you are attributing things to me which I didn't say so that you can make your statements.

How am I excusing myself or relying on what others said?

If by saying Sri Yuk ate fish and eggs before becoming a swami is "self-justificatory comments", then so be it.

Good suggestion as far as praying to Master....I suggest that you do the same, since you seemingly think that you can make judgemental statements about others.

Yes, there are lots of things wrong with this world that humanity as a whole needs to change....since you seemingly want to elevate yourself above others by chopping their heads off, ask Guru if you are going about this in the right way.

And BTW, this thread was about tofu, not the dairy industry - you tried to turn it into that
Old 09-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #37
Always God

Quote:
I know you like to debate, but you are attributing things to me which I didn't say so that you can make your statements.

How am I excusing myself or relying on what others said?

If by saying Sri Yuk ate fish and eggs before becoming a swami is "self-justificatory comments", then so be it.

Good suggestion as far as praying to Master....I suggest that you do the same, since you seemingly think that you can make judgemental statements about others.

Yes, there are lots of things wrong with this world that humanity as a whole needs to change....since you seemingly want to elevate yourself above others by chopping their heads off, ask Guru if you are going about this in the right way.

And BTW, this thread was about tofu, not the dairy industry - you tried to turn it into that
Read your own posts. They speak for themselves. Can I suggest you discuss the issues and stop trying to argue ad hominem. If you wish to take issue with what I have said, do that. Do not let poison infect your arrows.

And if you don't like to discuss, then do not discuss. What am I attributing to you you did not say?
Old 09-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #38
yogagirl

And to annoy everyone I shall change the topic yet again... here's a sweet story in support of eggs. Friends of mine were given a hen as their wedding present over a year ago. It has laid an egg every day since they've been wed. It has only ever eaten naturally (worms and ants from the garden, like the other birds...) Surely a hen who is loved and loves in return...?
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #39
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl View Post
And to annoy everyone I shall change the topic yet again... here's a sweet story in support of eggs. Friends of mine were given a hen as their wedding present over a year ago. It has laid an egg every day since they've been wed. It has only ever eaten naturally (worms and ants from the garden, like the other birds...) Surely a hen who is loved and loves in return...?
YG, that's out of discussion, unfertilized eggs from loved pastured hens constitutes a practice of ahimsa vegetarianism, I believe AlwaysGod will agree on that.
Nutrition-wise, there are the issues of cholesterol and TMAOs from high choline but one egg a day or every other day with lots of vegetables if no conditions exist most probably won't hurt (those prone to CV disease should have regualr lipids profile done though).

I'm not eating eggs presently but that's a formidable food if eaten in moderation.

A vegan diet usually makes cholesterol take a plunge deep down. For those who don't handle cholesterol well.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #40
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
You know that's a red herring, McCoy. The whole nervous system is totally different.
You might wish to read:
http://www.worldpeacediet.com/2014/1...a-vegan-to-do/
AG, the nervous system is sure different but please remind that the nazis started to exterminate the mentally sick people just for that reason, because their nervous system was different, not efficient.
So, even if there are different degrees of sentience, and more and less evolved nervous systems, who are we to judge which life expressions we can kill? Are we behaving like the nazis?

Whereas an 100% ethical vegan should follow the reasonings of Dr Tuttle and eat only fruit and plants which are not killed while harvested.
Even eating nuts and seeds may be regarded as unethical since they constitute potential plants, so you are killing a potential living being there. But to tell the truth I'm not sure when the vegetable consciousness 'incarnates' into a nut. Before or after sprouting? If after then it's ethical to eat unsprouted nuts & seeds.

OK with the following, except carrots, tubers, roots, for example. Also, it may be regarded as unethical to plant tomato plants only to harvest their fruit and then let the plants dry up and die.

Quote:
With further reflection, I began to realize how flawed this rationalization actually is. For one thing, most of the plant-based foods we eat do not require harming the plants. Eating apples and other fruits, for example, actually benefit apple trees, creating orchards and of course we spread the seeds by eating the fruits of the tree. The same is true of most vegetables as well, which are actually fruits, such as tomatoes, squashes, eggplants, peppers, beans, corn, and so forth.