A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Yoga and Meditation

Old 02-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
srz
Tinfoil Hat Guy

Experiment with combining Cold Shower and EEs

It is said cold therapy, ice baths are good for boosting your metabolism, building discipline, and for sleeping better. Myself and most people are not going to force themselves into an ice bath, but a cold shower is a good alternative. If that's not doable, an even more realistic alternative yet still effective, is running cold water towards last 2-5 minutes of your shower.

Here are some of the benefits you get from a cold shower:

Build discipline and mental toughness
Increases testosterone
Increases alertness
It’s better for your skin
Help reduce sexual tension (take a cold shower they say)

Similarly, the SRF energization exercises, I can't do them all, but I try to do the full body EE a couple times in front of an open window.

What I'm experimenting with now is combing a couple minutes of progressively cold water towards last 2-5 minutes of shower with entire body EEs. I've done this so far a couple times and it's looking like a very good habit to acquire that can benefit overall health and productivity.

Experimental Cold Shower/Entire Body EE Routine

1. Take hot shower and wash body/hair/shave. (I use a fogless shower mirror -highly recommend).

2a. Run water cold, do a full all body EE.
2b. Run water colder, do a full all body EE.
2c. Run water coldest/freezing, do a full all body EE.
(number of steps can vary but run colder water progressively)

3. Turn off, dry with towel, go out to conquer the day.

Let me know if you have similar experiences or experiment with this routine yourself to some degree, what are your results.
srz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #2
mccoy
supernal user

srz, I'm not sure what you mean by 'full body EE'.

Cold exposure has many health benefits, there is a good concise thread here by the user gordo.

I used to practice cold exposure many years ago, and recently started again.
I do longer cold showers now, I no more use a coat and stay often in the garden with my swim trunks. The body gets accustomed to it.
A few days ago tried to meditate outside in my trunks, but started sneezing after 15 minutes. It was about 40-45 °F, pretty warm but it's my first year back in business, I'm going to do better.

I presently practice EEs outside in my swim trunks. I'm in open countryside so none is going to call the asylum guys.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
srz
Tinfoil Hat Guy

By doing a "full body EE", I mean tensing all your muscles at once in progressive stages (low medium high), the final part of the standard EEs after doing each muscle group.

I'm new to cold therapy. I like it.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:43 AM   #4
mccoy
supernal user

All right, yes a good idea to do that under a cold shower!
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
pao

If you are able to maintain the visualization and feeling of the energy in your body as described in the lesson, then I'd keep practicing as you are... assuming a full practice is not possible.

Toward the end of the EE lessons Master provides a short routine for when full EE practice is not possible. That may be if interest to you.

Likely off subject but...
I had heard that Bro Premamoy, prior to finding Master, and before WWII (in anticipation of hard times related to the impending war) began practicing cold baths as well many other disciplines related to the body and cultivated a very simple diet (he was of royal lineage, and very well off). It is said that he was one of the few within his group of friends that survived (because he was used to the hardships), while those friends (that were not mentally/physically prepared for the hardship) died. He tried to warn his friends of their need to prepare, but few were willing to give up their comfortable lifestyle to do the work.
pao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by pao View Post
Likely off subject but...
I had heard that Bro Premamoy, prior to finding Master, and before WWII (in anticipation of hard times related to the impending war) began practicing cold baths as well many other disciplines related to the body and cultivated a very simple diet (he was of royal lineage, and very well off). It is said that he was one of the few within his group of friends that survived (because he was used to the hardships), while those friends (that were not mentally/physically prepared for the hardship) died. He tried to warn his friends of their need to prepare, but few were willing to give up their comfortable lifestyle to do the work.
Pao, that's very interesting and in a way describes the known phenomenon of hormesis.

A little dose of an otherwise toxic compound or any applied external stress which is not extreme will trigger beneficial reactions in the body.

Exposure to cold and heat, fasting, eating appropriate phytonutrients, exercise, they are all kinds of hormesis.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
mccoy
supernal user

Having this thread been resuscitated, I'll write an update.

This time I started cold exposure form the fall season, that is, gradually. One or two cold showers of up to 4-5 minutes duration.
I never wore a coat, not a sweater, just T-shirts or shirts and summer shoes. Temperatures down to -5°C.

In family they recently caught the flue, a very aggressive strain this year. I got nothing.

This is probably due to the hormetic regime I'm following, vegan diet, exercise, cold exposure.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:42 AM   #8
simple

McCoy, How you you keep warm in such cold temperature, while wearing summer clothes? What is the temperature inside your house? Do you spend lots of time in -5 degree C temp or just to get to your car and then you have the heater on in the car? I am not used to cold temperatures at all, and even 79 deg F will see me reaching for the jacket.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #9
luvpeacejoy

I have recently been reading about Wim Hof.

Very interesting case of how to survive extreme cold with simple breathing and meditation.

Scientific studies have been done on the Wim Hof Method. Books and videos available online for those interested.
luvpeacejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:55 AM   #10
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
McCoy, How you you keep warm in such cold temperature, while wearing summer clothes? What is the temperature inside your house? Do you spend lots of time in -5 degree C temp or just to get to your car and then you have the heater on in the car? I am not used to cold temperatures at all, and even 79 deg F will see me reaching for the jacket.
Simple, all your questions are of course legitimate:

Q: How you you keep warm in such cold temperature, while wearing summer clothes?
A: I usually work indoor. Outdoor spells arenot of a long duration

Q:What is the temperature inside your house?
A:It's warm, since I have a very efficient energy system, I need to dry clothes, my wife suffers cold. Inside home I usually wear only shorts.

Q:Do you spend lots of time in -5 degree C temp or just to get to your car and then you have the heater on in the car?
A: No, I spend very little with -5°C, usually it's above 0 °C. I usually don't use the heather in the car even at -9°C outside, taking advantage of commutes to expose to cold. I use gloves and I shiver but it just takes a couple of hours.

I had a walk last month witha T-shirt in the evening, with a coldish wind. I did not feel warm but I tried to ignore the feeling of cold. Many people around, all with a coat, observing me so I had to try my best and ignore cold totally and not giving the least sign of being affected.
It took an hour, I regard it as an episode of peak cold exposure and I could not detach totally from the feeling.

Bottom line: I practice cold exposure by switching down the average temperature on my skin as much as I can (not wearin else than one shirt), whereas I subject the body to peaks of cold, in the form of:
-cold showers (empty stomach), as cold as possible, on head and full body, usually from 3 to 5 minutes once or twice a day
-Cold commutes, where I open the car vents to cold in mountainous territory
-Outings in as a light garment as possible. Bare breasted if unobserved. T shirt or shirt if in crowded places. sleeved shirt if with my wife (who will pretend not to know me if i'm in T-shirt, LOL).

Some people lower the temp of their house environment as well and sleep without blankets nor sheets.

I'm only able to open windows and stay light.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #11
simple

McCoy, thanks for your detailed answer. You had me laughing at a couple of them.

It is pretty amazing that you can do all these things to expose yourself to cold.

Please do be careful if you are driving around while shivering, just in case not enough blood is reaching the brain, it can lead to wrong decisions that can have dangerous consequences on the road for you and others.

Bro. Bimalananda once shared with me this yogic technique to stay warm and cold:
When cold, press your left nostril with a finger, this will cause right nostril breathing, while will activate pingala, the warm current in the spine.
Do the reverse when you are hot.

When sleeping, you can activate right (pingala) nostril breathing and left (ida) nostril breathing by doing this:
When cold, sleep on your left side to activate right (pingala) nostril breathing.
When hot, sleep on your right side to activate left (ida) nostril breathing.

I use the above sleeping technique when I have a cold and one of my nostrils is stuffed, and yet that stuffed nostril is the one where the breath is trying to come from. Have you ever had this happen? It is very annoying and uncomfortable. Using the correct side to sleep on, causes the breath to flow from the unstuffed nostril, and thus gives a good night's rest and sleep.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #12
sulmonte

Quote:
McCoy, thanks for your detailed answer. You had me laughing at a couple of them.

It is pretty amazing that you can do all these things to expose yourself to cold.

Please do be careful if you are driving around while shivering, just in case not enough blood is reaching the brain, it can lead to wrong decisions that can have dangerous consequences on the road for you and others.

Bro. Bimalananda once shared with me this yogic technique to stay warm and cold:
When cold, press your left nostril with a finger, this will cause right nostril breathing, while will activate pingala, the warm current in the spine.
Do the reverse when you are hot.

When sleeping, you can activate right (pingala) nostril breathing and left (ida) nostril breathing by doing this:
When cold, sleep on your left side to activate right (pingala) nostril breathing.
When hot, sleep on your right side to activate left (ida) nostril breathing.

I use the above sleeping technique when I have a cold and one of my nostrils is stuffed, and yet that stuffed nostril is the one where the breath is trying to come from. Have you ever had this happen? It is very annoying and uncomfortable. Using the correct side to sleep on, causes the breath to flow from the unstuffed nostril, and thus gives a good night's rest and sleep.
Thanks Simple that you remember me about these advices, they have been around when I was at the Lake. Lately I do sleep a lot on the left side, actually I do somehow remember that Guruji told to sleep on the right side since bad 'guys' might come from the left. I am not too cold easily but I am dressing well during winter, in my flat I do not like too much heat, this does give too much dry air.

I do remember once staying in a house near MC in March and the owner was away - heating turned off - this was hard, since it was cold and windy, humid. I practised the nostril breathing, but did sleep anyhow with apple cider glas containers - filled with hot water - in my bed....! We also did heat a bit with the stove...!!!! But we survived.
sulmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #13
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
I noticed that, the numbness plus the involuntary muscle contractions while shivering tended to lessen my control upon the vehicle. I had to put in an extra effort to mantain safety.

And thanks for the pingala technique, I'll have to try that out, maybe next walk downtown in a frigid night. The asylum guys will be warned that a dude is walking around with freezing temps in a T shirt and a finger stuck on his nose. Also, I just hope not to close the wrong nostril ! On the other side, closing pingala and activating ida would be an opportunity for some extra exposure to cold.
Some guys like to drink iced water while exposing to cold to increase its effectiveness.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #14
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
I noticed that, the numbness plus the involuntary muscle contractions while shivering tended to lessen my control upon the vehicle. I had to put in an extra effort to mantain safety.

And thanks for the pingala technique, I'll have to try that out, maybe next walk downtown in a frigid night. The asylum guys will be warned that a dude is walking around with freezing temps in a T shirt and a finger stuck on his nose. Also, I just hope not to close the wrong nostril ! On the other side, closing pingala and activating ida would be an opportunity for some extra exposure to cold.
20+ years ago, I wore shorts pretty much year round, rarely wore a coat, maybe a sweatshirt or light jacket if it was really cold outside - there are 4 seasons where I live, can be very chilly....then I went through an extended series of chemo treatments, now the body is very susceptible to cold - I don't try to expose myself to coldness like you mccoy lol

Simple, have heard about alternate nostril breathing, but that's a new one, will try it.

Quote:
Some guys like to drink iced water while exposing to cold to increase its effectiveness.
What's the point? are these people yogis?....I know as Br. Anandamoyji said, in dark ages people would do all sorts of tortuous things to get beyond the body, even whips, etc...but we have kriya now thank goodness, so no whips, chains...

Of course, Master would do things like meditate in icy water up to his neck (all night!), or in extreme heat.

(EDIT: Actually, I do understand the point of cold exposure - Master does say that if you're in good health, that gradually practicing mental/physical discipline by exposure to extremes is a great form of detachment from the body - titiksha -, but he also says in the Lessons that drinking icy liquids is not good for you, so that I don't get the point of)

I'm reminded of a passage in The Way of a Pilgrim where the pilgrim recounts how during his travels he was crossing an ice covered stream and broke thru the ice - plunged in icy water up to his waist....he got to his destination where he sat through "matins" (church devotional service) all the while in a blissful state, then he got a room in the church- he talked about laying down on the plank bed in the unheated room as if he were on bosom of the Blessed Mother.....then he had rather violent pains shooting from his legs and remembered that his pants were still soaking wet....so he concentrated strongly on his mantra (the Jesus prayer) and forgot about the pain ....until he couldn't move his legs in the morning lol.

That's the state ^^^ we want, sans the paralyzed legs

Last edited by mike1yogi; 01-21-2018 at 01:31 AM.
mike1yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:38 AM   #15
mccoy
supernal user

January 19th is the orthodox epiphany day in Russia.

In the Russian orthodox lore, people who in this day have a plunge in frozen waters are purified of their sins. This year they sent me pictures of plunges in the frozen Jenissei with minus 30°C. That's really freezing temperatures, in Siberia it's often colder than in the north pole. I am an hopeless wimpy pussy in comparison.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:26 AM   #16
sulmonte

Here another super man - Putin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEsYJ99ydb8
Old 01-22-2018, 05:49 AM   #17
sulmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulmonte View Post
Do you know the treatment of Pastor Kneipp? All is based on water - warm and cold. There are many spas today who still do follow. His home town Bad Wörishofen is famous and there are SRF devotees running a spa on these principles. Far ahead the wonderful priest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Kneipp
Old 01-22-2018, 11:09 PM   #18
simple

Very interesting biography, Sulmonte. It talks about the Kneippbrod (his whole wheat bread), and I have been goggling recipes for it. Wish I could find his original recipe. Would love to bake it. The best tasting bread I ever ate were baked by my Norwegian friends, I even made it myself a couple of times, but lost the recipe. And apparently, Kneippbrod is the most popular bread in Norway.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:12 AM   #19
sulmonte

Quote:
Very interesting biography, Sulmonte. It talks about the Kneippbrod (his whole wheat bread), and I have been goggling recipes for it. Wish I could find his original recipe. Would love to bake it. The best tasting bread I ever ate were baked by my Norwegian friends, I even made it myself a couple of times, but lost the recipe. And apparently, Kneippbrod is the most popular bread in Norway.
Well, Kneippbrod(t) I never had. But I could ask my friend in Bad Wörishofen - she should know. Let you know if I get any Information. IDF
Old 01-23-2018, 05:40 AM   #20
sulmonte

Quote:
Well, Kneippbrod(t) I never had. But I could ask my friend in Bad Wörishofen - she should know. Let you know if I get any Information. IDF
http://kneipp-brot.ch/brot.php

I found this link - it does not look so dark - we do have much darker. This is with herbs and many items. Think difficult to find in US. Did ask my friend as well.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #21
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Sulmonte, that's a very interesting piece of news for many reasons:

1- Vladimir Putin partecipated to a Christian Orthodox ritual, so the negation of the state atheism at the base of the soviet regime is official. he might be doing that to become ever more popular, but the news is very positive anyways
2-Putin is keen on his image of a real Russian citizen who respects tradition, even the ones which are apparently pretty demanding (a plunge in the frozen river is not a cinch, even for a native Russian).
3-The tradition is a spiritual one, which implies purification from sins, so Putin, a former champion of materialism, is now supporting a Spiritual principle
Old 01-23-2018, 06:51 AM   #22
sulmonte

Well Mccoy - Putin is in many senses interesting - he is involved with the orthodox church since long time, I get news about him often since he is in contact with many famous artists in classical music and does use them. They are always trying to keep balance between the love for Russia and the political aspects. The Russian soul is interesting, music and nature are still holy and much more. I do think that I would be able to have better talks with Putin than with Trump.

Putin has a good overall education and does know the world - Trump has none of this and the US people who voted for him have been very naive. Now they are even after long time successful people in the US with permanent Green Cards because they had minor things with law - sending back to Polen and so on....the hunt is on, the lower instincts are free since the president does live with these vibes. This does not mean that I favor Putin, but with him we know who he is - Trump as representative of a free world....what a shame.

But I would not go so far as supporting your 3rd point... :-)
Old 01-24-2018, 12:51 AM   #23
simple

Thanks, Sulmonte.

IDF
Old 01-24-2018, 06:18 AM   #24
sulmonte

Quote:
Thanks, Sulmonte.

IDF
My friend told me that she does know the bread but no receipe. Sorry simple, try the one from Switzerland if you get the items.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #25
simple

Thanks for asking around.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #26
srz
Tinfoil Hat Guy

Just an update on this experiment I tried.

I ended up adopting a gradual cold shower finish each time, maybe a full minute of really cold water total. I like it, envigorating and not cold when I come out.

But no EEs in the shower. Too much going on there at once lol

Old 01-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #27
thisbody

Old 01-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #28
mccoy
supernal user

On my side, still no hint of a cold, sickness, cough. Nothing, even when the flu has been raging all around.

Reasoned exposure to cold boosts the immune system, among other things. It also invigorates us and makes us want to exercise, which boosts the immune system evermore, among other things. Exercise makes us hungry of healthy food, which gives another huge boost to the immune system.

By now the immune system is a monster, eager to feed off any viruses, bacteria, cancer cells, coming across it.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #29
sulmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
On my side, still no hint of a cold, sickness, cough. Nothing, even when the flu has been raging all around.

Reasoned exposure to cold boosts the immune system, among other things. It also invigorates us and makes us want to exercise, which boosts the immune system evermore, among other things. Exercise makes us hungry of healthy food, which gives another huge boost to the immune system.

By now the immune system is a monster, eager to feed off any viruses, bacteria, cancer cells, coming across it.
Well this is good news that you are fine. Me too - I do go into the wonderful fresh air I do have here daily - I did feel little 'coldy' a few days ago, but had planed to go by catamaran to another city, which I did. I did stay outside both rides each 60 minutes and felt truely fresh and recharged after this.

Here a photo from the river across my street - perfect for Kneipp treatments, will start soon. Water does come straight from the mountains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ach.jpg (134.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #30
mccoy
supernal user

Very clean looking...and COLD water!!!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #31
simple

Thanks for sharing the photo. I would love to live with a river flowing nearby. This looks such a lovely place to live.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:47 AM   #32
sulmonte

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the photo. I would love to live with a river flowing nearby. This looks such a lovely place to live.
Thanks Simple...it is very nice...with the big lake further down. But the tests are the same every where.

I do have the paragram cards and from time to time I do take a card out as guidance for the next weeks. My new year's card was endurance...ha, ha....lets go....! IDF
Old 01-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #33
simple

Sulmonte, you have such a warrior spirit in you when it comes to walking the spiritual path!!!
Old Today, 09:54 AM   #34
Ajay0

Cold water baths is also useful for increasing the prana or chi, which makes meditation or meditative awareness easier.

Yagna creates energy, energy creates consciousness, awareness. Heightened awareness brings you close to the reality and the reality is a witness. To realize that everything is happening you need heightened awareness. And to bring about heightened awareness you have to increase the prana. Yagna comprises of nine aspects which help to expand Prana; they are fasting and fresh food; cold water baths; total exhaustion, not letting sleep take over; emotional peaks; singing and chanting; Giving without givership, service without doership. All of these together is Yagna.
- Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Increased prana/chi is also associated with healing.

I have read of traditional healing centres in Russia where sick or diseased people are taken to nearby frozen lakes, and given a short skinny dip with the help of the centre's personnel. This had resulted in seemingly miraculous cures. I had read the story of a Soviet bureaucrat in the Soviet version of readers digest, Sputnik, who used this healing system to cure himself of diseases after modern medical systems were unable to do the same.
Be careful what you choose to do consciously, for unless your will is very strong, that is what you may have to do repeatedly and compulsively through the habit-influencing power of the subconscious mind.
- Paramahansa Yogananda

Self-awareness is yoga. -- Nisargadatta Maharaj

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. -- Eckhart Tolle
Ajay0 is offline   Reply With Quote