A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Inspirational Texts

Old 12-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
mike1yogi

Inspirational Quotes - SRF

I remember the other board had a long-standing thread which I liked very much.

Please share any that come to mind, but please limit them to quotes from the SRF Gurus, and other SRF advanced souls.

I'll start it off with a couple well-known quotes which I look at every day (they are on my computer desk - on cards which I believe I purchased at Lake Shrine gift shop)
Old 12-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
mike1yogi

"Everything else can wait but, but your search for God cannot wait." - Paramahansa Yogananda
Old 12-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
mike1yogi

"Forget the past. ...Everything in future will improve if you are making a spiritual effort now." - Swami Sri Yukteswar
Old 12-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
mike1yogi

Absorb thy mind in Me;become My devotee; resign all things to Me; bow down to Me. Thou art dear to Me, so in truth do I promise thee: Thou shalt attain Me!
- Bhagavad Gita XVIII: 65 (Sri Krishna)
Old 12-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #5
yogagirl

Become identified with Universal Love, expressed in service to all, both materially and spiritually;then you will know who Jesus Christ was, and can say in your soul that we are all one band, all sons of One God!

The Second Coming of Christ, end of Discourse 5
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #6
Stream
Victory to Spirit!

Banat banat ban jai .... one more krosha.

"The darkness of maya is silently approaching. Let us hie homeward within." - Swami Sri Yukteswar
Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
paulo

If anything adverse happens to us, we can look back at it later and realize it was for our own highest good--to help us grow in ways we had never anticipated"

Meera Mata: Spring 2000
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #8
paulo

This isn't from SRF, but I find it very heartening and inspiring:

"Light the lamp of love and faith within you and move forward. When you take each step with good thoughts and a smiling face, all goodness will come to you and fill your being. Then God cannot possibly stay away from you. Divinity will embrace you."

-Amma (Sri Mata Amritanandamayi Devi)
Old 12-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #9
simple

Learn to accept blame, criticism, and accusations silently, without retaliation, even though they are untrue and unjustified. - St. Francis
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:56 PM   #10
mike1yogi

For the New Year:

Affirm with conviction, before going to bed and on arising in the morning,

"I can change. I have the will to change. I will change!"

Hold to that thought throughout the day, and carry it with you into the subconscious land of sleep and the superconscious realm of meditation.

~Master
Old 01-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
yogagirl

".....Cultivate the spiritual habits;when the harvest of divine ecstasy arrives with its joy and wisdom contact of God, I will ask the expert reapers of spiritual perception and realization to go deep into my subconscious mind and gather up the weeds of bad habits of all past incarnations and consign them to the fire of the instantaneously annihilating power of wisdom and of the life energy accumulated in the brain through the the interiorization of the mind."
Yoganandaji - The Second Coming of Christ
- Discourse 37 on the wheat and the tares ( Matthew 13:24 -30 )
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #12
Ajay0

Do not think of yourself as the body, but as the joyous consciousness and immortal life behind it. - Paramahamsa Yogananda

In every moment you only have one real choice: to be aware of the Self or to identify with the body and the mind. - Annamalai Swami

Body-consciousness is the source of all misery. - Ramana Maharshi
Be careful what you choose to do consciously, for unless your will is very strong, that is what you may have to do repeatedly and compulsively through the habit-influencing power of the subconscious mind.
- Paramahansa Yogananda

Self-awareness is yoga. -- Nisargadatta Maharaj

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. -- Eckhart Tolle
Ajay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #13
paulo

"I Want you All to know that
All who are interested in the work
Are personally taken care of by Me.
I have placed YOU in the care of my
PERSONAL LOVE.
I Will do my UTMOST - to help you
carry on HERE, and in the BEYOND.
................. Paramahansa Yogananda ...........................
Old 01-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #14
mike1yogi

...Each day say to yourself, "What can I do for God today?" A spiritual leader has to have a vision of the future, but he should never be worried about it. God will take care of everything. Do your best today and forget tomorrow. Do not harass the soul with petty worries.

~ Master, Lesson 72
Old 01-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #15
paulo

When you meditate, ask God to give you right attitude. I always pray to God and Guru: "I don't care how You discipline me, or what You do with me, but from each experience let me learn right attitude. Let me never resent or resist Your discipline; and no matter what comes, let me never indulge in self-pity, anger, or discouragement." These qualities belong to the nature of an ordinary egoistic human being. We are not ordinary human beings. We are souls. We are all children of God. And that is how we should behave. Get the right attitude in your relationship with God, and it will also be right with the world.

--Sri Daya Mata (Only Love, Ch 11)
Old 02-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #16
paulo

Only in God Are You Safe From Delusion:
So don't be attached to the passing dreams of life. Live for God and God alone. This is the only way to have freedom and safety in this world. Outside of God there is no security, no matter where you go, delusion can attack you. Be free right now.Be a son of God now, realize you are His child, so that you may be rid of this dream of delusion forever. Meditate deeply and faithfully, and one day you will wake up in ecstasy with God and see how foolish it is that people think they are suffering. You and I and they are all pure Spirit. Krishna said: "Of the unreal, there is no existence. Of the real, there is no nonexistence. The final truth of both of these is known by men of wisdom."
I could have meetings here with you every day, but that won't necessarily help you, unless you put into practice what you hear. In these Sunday meetings I have perhaps told you more than you would ever learn elsewhere in a lifetime. By coming to these services you will know the cords of delusion can be broken. Study your Self-Realization Lessons at home and practice them faithfully. Each human being has to apply his own individual effort to get back to God. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not speaking the truth. God can help you, guru can help, but only if you yourself are making the effort to find God. You can't get money by watching someone else work. You have to work for it yourself. And only your working at finding God will take you to God. So make your mightiest effort now. Reserve your nights for meditation. Meditate with undivided attention. Let there be no mockery of mechanical prayer. Give your soul to God. Then you will see that your life--every minute of it--becomes a magic existence.

(The Divine Romance)
Old 02-12-2018, 05:08 AM   #17
lotusflower

When the mind is calm, how quicky, how smoothly, how beautifully you will perceive everything.

Where there is light
Old 02-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #18
triguybos

Thank God for pain and suffering!

Every time you crash, remember the pain and agony of crashing. Keep in mind the torment after the brief enjoyment. The wise remember the sufferings of the past. This IS the path of the wise. Fear the pain and misfortune so as to pursue your spiritual path whole-heartedly. Pain is the best motivator (and a real savior) because we want to avoid it at all costs.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #19
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguybos View Post
Every time you crash, remember the pain and agony of crashing. Keep in mind the torment after the brief enjoyment. The wise remember the sufferings of the past. This IS the path of the wise. Fear the pain and misfortune so as to pursue your spiritual path whole-heartedly. Pain is the best motivator (and a real savior) because we want to avoid it at all costs.
What is the source of the quote?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #20
triguybos

One of Br. Prafullananda‘s services or lectures, which was shared on Allan Schmidtz’s newsletter. Don’t know if he’s quoting PY though. Doesn’t sound PY-esque to me. I lile it cuz it’s a good perspective to prick myself out of my ego and to stop acting like a nat that keeps flying into the electric lamp again and again, life after life.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:00 AM   #21
sulmonte

This is an important one - from Guruji ( I think it is in the lessons, out of my notebook) !

If you cannot stand seeing others happy the cosmic law will certainly arrange for you to be made unhappy by others.
sulmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #22
paulo

"Although life seems capricious, uncertain, and full of all kinds of troubles, still we are always under the guiding, loving protection of God."

"Don’t make a fuss about anything. Whenever you worry remember, you are deepening the cosmic delusion within you."

"Where There Is Light" pg. 91
Old Yesterday, 05:08 AM   #23
lotusflower

To the congregation of the Self-Realization Temple in San Diego, the Master said:
"Let the church remind you of your own cathedral within, where you should go in the dead of the night and in the dawn. There you can listen to the mighty organ of music of AUM and hear in it the sermon of divine wisdom."

Sayings of Paramahansa Yogananda, page 97
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #24
Diane

Please May I Hold Your Hand,
Dear Lord

This little poem was found among the papers of Shyama Mata (1887-1972), a beloved monastic disciple of Paramahansa Yogananda and mother of Sri Daya Mata. Though its source is unknown, the poem expresses the beautiful attitude of faith and surrender to God with which Shyama Mata by her own example constantly inspired her fellow disciples.

"Please may I hold your hand, dear Lord?
There's a river of life that I must ford.
The way is hard and the road is steep,
I'll need some help through the waters deep."

I took God's hand and on we went,
But I slipped and fell ere the day was spent.
We tried again but it didn't work.
I lost my grasp and was often hurt.

Once more I called on the Lord for help.
I had failed in my tries to save myself.
"Dear Lord," I cried, "You understand,
This time You had better hold my hand!"
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM   #25
sulmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane View Post
Please May I Hold Your Hand,
Dear Lord

This little poem was found among the papers of Shyama Mata (1887-1972), a beloved monastic disciple of Paramahansa Yogananda and mother of Sri Daya Mata. Though its source is unknown, the poem expresses the beautiful attitude of faith and surrender to God with which Shyama Mata by her own example constantly inspired her fellow disciples.

"Please may I hold your hand, dear Lord?
There's a river of life that I must ford.
The way is hard and the road is steep,
I'll need some help through the waters deep."

I took God's hand and on we went,
But I slipped and fell ere the day was spent.
We tried again but it didn't work.
I lost my grasp and was often hurt.

Once more I called on the Lord for help.
I had failed in my tries to save myself.
"Dear Lord," I cried, "You understand,
This time You had better hold my hand!"
Thats very sweet - thanks...
sulmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:29 PM   #26
paulo

"When the consciousness is kept on God you will have no fears; every obstacle will then be overcome by courage and faith."

"Where There is Light" pg. 93