A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Open Discussion

Old 02-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
sheoli

Reading the lessons

I am thinking of starting something like the spiritual eye marathon with regard to the lessons.
Would that be a good idea? I need a kick-start for my lessons and thought having a group here would help.

-----

Also, would anybody have suggestions (quick fix) to make the day more upbeat?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
sulmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheoli View Post
I am thinking of starting something like the spiritual eye marathon with regard to the lessons.
Would that be a good idea? I need a kick-start for my lessons and thought having a group here would help.

-----

I still havn't understood the spiritual eye marathon. Aren't we all trying to stay continously in the spiritual eye....even if there is trouble sometimes, but anchored in the spiritual eye is a must during meditation and because of this we focus in each situation there after some time. Living in the higher chakras does come with kriya. Mccoy are you walking half a marathon with anchored in the SE? Truely I do not see clear!

I am starting now with my kriya lessons again till the new lessons come out. Good luck Sheoli.

Last edited by sulmonte; 02-06-2018 at 11:51 AM.
sulmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #3
yogagirl

feeling upbeat / 3rd-eye marathon

Quote:
Sounds wonderful, Sheoli! I'm in!

-----
Quote:
Banging your thymus gland - banging your chest like a gorilla! ( got this from a 'new age' affirmations book: Ten qualities by Maya Kraus ) - of course, we don't need any help on meditation, but sometimes a little down to earth reminder of staying positive doesn't harm..

Sorry to hear you're not feeling too upbeat at the moment. I suppose we're all different, what makes us less upbeat can be for a variety of reasons.
Personally, it was meeting the monks last time they came to Paris and increasing my kriyas that helped. I knew that as soon as I got to a certain number the joy would start coming in, but, I kept wanting to give up before I got to that number. Something would happen for me to be distracted! I want to be happy...I don't want to be happy...I'm afraid of being happy...I'm worried I don't deserve to be happy...I'm scared of taking the next step along my spiritual path...I'm scared of the responsibility that comes with making spiritual progress...I think those are the silly thoughts that still distract me sometimes! lol!

Also, fresh air, a good diet and detox,(sounds like I'm a good example, but I'm not!) laughter, good company, fun with pets (I should think, but I don't have any!), music (the good for you kind!) - and the best medicine of all as we've been reminded recently on the forum: master's energization techniques, if done properly will banish all psychological negativity, not just physical.

The third eye marathon: Sulmonte, you're right, the whole of our lives when we follow a spiritual path is a marathon, just so nice when we occasionally get the runner's high! We've all started at different points on this path in this life. I started off with no chakras at all, I think!! So, for me, the third-eye marathon is a poetic reminder to continue remembering our efforts in meditation during the day's activities...also, it's nice to know you're running with others.
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
sheoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulmonte View Post

I am starting now with my kriya lessons again till the new lessons come out. Good luck Sheoli.
Thank you, Sulmonte.
Actually, I went to the first few posts of the SEM to understand what the marathon is about (http://www.yoganandaji.org/board/showthread.php?t=6589). In one of the beginning posts, mccoy mentioned that the only rule to keep in mind is this quote by the Master:

The highest spiritual habit by which the devotee can retain a watchful awareness of the inner presence of God is to keep the consciousness always centered on the spiritual eye.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
sheoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl View Post

Thank you, yogagirl.

I am still wondering how to go about this? Assign a day or two per lesson?
If anybody wishes to pitch in ideas, please do
-----

Quote:
Banging your thymus gland - banging your chest like a gorilla! ( got this from a 'new age' affirmations book: Ten qualities by Maya Kraus ) - of course, we don't need any help on meditation, but sometimes a little down to earth reminder of staying positive doesn't harm..

Sorry to hear you're not feeling too upbeat at the moment. I suppose we're all different, what makes us less upbeat can be for a variety of reasons.
Personally, it was meeting the monks last time they came to Paris and increasing my kriyas that helped. I knew that as soon as I got to a certain number the joy would start coming in, but, I kept wanting to give up before I got to that number. Something would happen for me to be distracted! I want to be happy...I don't want to be happy...I'm afraid of being happy...I'm worried I don't deserve to be happy...I'm scared of taking the next step along my spiritual path...I'm scared of the responsibility that comes with making spiritual progress...I think those are the silly thoughts that still distract me sometimes! lol!

Also, fresh air, a good diet and detox,(sounds like I'm a good example, but I'm not!) laughter, good company, fun with pets (I should think, but I don't have any!), music (the good for you kind!) - and the best medicine of all as we've been reminded recently on the forum: master's energization techniques, if done properly will banish all psychological negativity, not just physical.
Thank you for the suggestions, yogagirl.
Actually, I just called upon some of the Holy Souls to help me - I needed to complete the rest of the tasks in a proper frame of mind. They helped as they always do

I completely agree with the fresh air and the rest of the suggestions. In the place I was earlier in, I used to go out for long walks and they always perked me up. The new place I moved to around two years back seems to have an extended winter :D There has been relatively more snow this winter compared to the last...so, not much walking outside is happening. I have signed up for the gym and am yet to get regular with that.
I hope things pick up soon and we are all smiling and cheerful

Quote:

...but sometimes a little down to earth reminder of staying positive doesn't harm..
I agree there. I was just thinking today - sometimes, it is just a fine line... As soon as one gets depressed and loses confidence, one is almost crossing that line (if that makes sense)...One needs to be careful and aware that one does not give into moods and negativity - they can unknowingly show up in your daily activities and behavior and that's something we do not want.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
mike1yogi

Quote:
I still havn't understood the spiritual eye marathon. Aren't we all trying to stay continously in the spiritual eye....even if there is trouble sometimes, but anchored in the spiritual eye is a must during meditation and because of this we focus in each situation there after some time. Living in the higher chakras does come with kriya. Mccoy are you walking half a marathon with anchored in the SE? Truely I do not see clear!

Sulmonte, I know English is not your main language - you do great BTW.....but this is funny....I'm picturing a group of devotees crashing into things as they are running a marathon with their eyes turned up to the SE...lol

Of course, you know you are advancing on the path when you can still see your way through the marathon course while your eyes are upturned

And, if you have to run a marathon to be a good devotee, I'll never make it...Just the marathon of the Kriya path of SRF - that's long and hard enough!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #7
mike1yogi

Quote:

-----

I am still wondering how to go about this? Assign a day or two per lesson?
sheoli, that's very ambitious - to read a lesson every 2 days....to me one lesson a week is hard for me to do.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #8
sheoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1yogi View Post
sheoli, that's very ambitious - to read a lesson every 2 days....to me one lesson a week is hard for me to do.
Thank you! That's the kind of advice/feedback I am seeking.
You see, I read the lessons (up to a certain point) while I was in India. And, I do not remember a lot since it was quite a number of years back. Now, I am trying to get back to the lessons and need some momentum to keep going. I thought a thread would be a good way to do so...just not sure how to go about it.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:24 AM   #9
Stream
Victory to Spirit!

Quote:
You see, I read the lessons (up to a certain point) while I was in India. And, I do not remember a lot since it was quite a number of years back. Now, I am trying to get back to the lessons and need some momentum to keep going. I thought a thread would be a good way to do so...just not sure how to go about it.
It's a good idea to discuss the Lessons, but my own study is too slow to participate in a scheduled format. The instructions are like drinking the words from the Guru, and I often find myself wanting to go back to drink the same words over and over.

I got a lot out of Dharmananda going over Gyanamata's 'God Alone', one letter at a time, but he had the sight to go straight to the essence. We are developing the inner sight, so in a way we could be confusing each other.

I do like thinking about paragraphs or sentences that are mysterious, so maybe one format could be something along those lines (special sentences and paragraphs from the Lessons or teachings). Sometimes cracking one little nut can make a big difference.

"The darkness of maya is silently approaching. Let us hie homeward within." - Swami Sri Yukteswar
Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:29 AM   #10
sulmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream View Post
It's a good idea to discuss the Lessons, but my own study is too slow to participate in a scheduled format. The instructions are like drinking the words from the Guru, and I often find myself wanting to go back to drink the same words over and over.

I got a lot out of Dharmananda going over Gyanamata's 'God Alone', one letter at a time, but he had the sight to go straight to the essence. We are developing the inner sight, so in a way we could be confusing each other.

I do like thinking about paragraphs or sentences that are mysterious, so maybe one format could be something along those lines (special sentences and paragraphs from the Lessons or teachings). Sometimes cracking one little nut can make a big difference.
Well yes, thats the way MC does advice. One lesson a week.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:34 AM   #11
sulmonte

Quote:

-----

The third eye marathon: Sulmonte, you're right, the whole of our lives when we follow a spiritual path is a marathon, just so nice when we occasionally get the runner's high! We've all started at different points on this path in this life. I started off with no chakras at all, I think!! So, for me, the third-eye marathon is a poetic reminder to continue remembering our efforts in meditation during the day's activities...also, it's nice to know you're running with others.
Dear YG, you might be so advanced that you do not realize that you live in the chakras and spiritual eye. So do not worry - all is well. ;-)
Old 02-07-2018, 04:16 AM   #12
Stream
Victory to Spirit!

Quote:
Well yes, thats the way MC does advice. One lesson a week.
The first time through.

But yes, the new Lessons do offer a great opportunity to get on the Lesson-a-week train again. We could have a topic for each Lesson, but I'm not sure we have that approval, as this is a public forum.

"The darkness of maya is silently approaching. Let us hie homeward within." - Swami Sri Yukteswar
Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:42 AM   #13
sulmonte

Quote:
The first time through.

But yes, the new Lessons do offer a great opportunity to get on the Lesson-a-week train again. We could have a topic for each Lesson, but I'm not sure we have that approval, as this is a public forum.
Stream I did not propose to go through here at the board. I just wanted to tell the 'group' - if they gather - how MC did advice. Anyhow I will study my things in private.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #14
yogagirl

Quote:
Dear YG, you might be so advanced that you do not realize that you live in the chakras and spiritual eye. So do not worry - all is well. ;-)
lol, Sulmonte, you're very sweet! I do pray that other SRF devotees will be better than me!! In the beginning I wanted a guru, but I didn't want to do kriya !! I only felt better when after my kriya initiation ceremony, I told the monk I thought I had cheated the 'system' somehow! He told me he knew exactly how I felt, and not to worry, as I had a long path ahead of me!!
Old 02-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #15
sulmonte

Quote:
lol, Sulmonte, you're very sweet! I do pray that other SRF devotees will be better than me!! In the beginning I wanted a guru, but I didn't want to do kriya !! I only felt better when after my kriya initiation ceremony, I told the monk I thought I had cheated the 'system' somehow! He told me he knew exactly how I felt, and not to worry, as I had a long path ahead of me!!
Just march on....!!!!

I got Kriya just after one year of lessons...wanted at MC and there was only one date. I had an interview with somebody and they told me that I could have the initation before reading the lessons which should have started right after initation by mail. You know what? 3 months I received nothing...but I did my kriyas faithfully as learned during initation. All is different for each one.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #16
sheoli

Quote:
The first time through.

I have noticed there was a restricted study group on this forum for members once upon a time (it shows even now). This is one thread I found about the same:
http://www.yoganandaji.org/board/sho...ht=study+group

Maybe, we can ask Shannon to guide us through here...
If it is a restricted group, then maybe we can discuss "special sentences and paragraphs from the Lessons or teachings" as you have suggested.
Else, we can just keep a track here with no explicit discussions of the lessons.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #17
mike1yogi

Quote:
Read somewhere recently where Master says to study your Praecepta (the Lessons) every day - he doesn't go into why, but Brother Bhaktananda says it's one of the ways to practice the presence, stay attuned with the Guru:

2. Read from the Lessons every day--a couple of pages--it will keep one in attunement with Master. Those words are infused with Spirit; we are "sitting at the Guru's feet" when we are reading the Lessons. Master: "The Lessons will be your guru." Everything you need to know to find God are in those Lessons.

So, it's not a matter of reading several lessons a week to catch up like it seems you were saying, but just to do it every day.....

For me, I've had the Lessons for 20+ years, but I don't think I've actually gotten all the way through a second time yet...there have been a couple times over the years that I stopped reading them most every day, and it is like Br. B says ^^^

For several years now I make a real effort to read a page or two from the Lessons every day.....on hectic days where I don't, I at least try to take a few minutes and read some of Master's words from Where There Is Light, etc...but as Br B says, there is something about the Lessons...

I've re-read the Kriya lessons a couple times...but the basic set I will read, and re-read, read a few more lessons, then come back to same lesson(s) again...I do this for months, years....I'm finally on the last set, L131-L161, but haven't got to the end yet lol, been on this set for seems like a couple years....of course I've circled back to earlier sets several times
Old 02-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #18
sheoli

Quote:
Read somewhere recently where Master says to study your Praecepta (the Lessons) every day - he doesn't go into why, but Brother Bhaktananda says it's one of the ways to practice the presence, stay attuned with the Guru:

2. Read from the Lessons every day--a couple of pages--it will keep one in attunement with Master. Those words are infused with Spirit; we are "sitting at the Guru's feet" when we are reading the Lessons. Master: "The Lessons will be your guru." Everything you need to know to find God are in those Lessons.

So, it's not a matter of reading several lessons a week to catch up like it seems you were saying, but just to do it every day.....
I understand...
I would love to reach that point of a little of reading everyday...
For now, I will be blessed to just get started. Jai Guru!
Old 02-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #19
mike1yogi

Quote:
I understand...
I would love to reach that point of a little of reading everyday...
For now, I will be blessed to just get started. Jai Guru!
Yes, as Br. Bhaktananda says that Master said, "it's all habit".

Br. B also says to read a page or two - a lot of times all I read is 1 page.

keep on
Old 02-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #20
sulmonte

Quote:
Yes, as Br. Bhaktananda says that Master said, "it's all habit".

Br. B also says to read a page or two - a lot of times all I read is 1 page.

keep on
For me sometimes one paragraph only. So deep....everything. Good luck all.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #21
simple

Mike, You were wondering where Guruji says to read the lessons everyday. He says it in one of the audio tapes of his. Yes, Bro Bhaktananda would constantly remind during the weekly services to read the lessons daily, even if only a paragraph. I used to attend Hollywood temple when he was there, and I am realizing only now that many things he would say during the weekly services are in fact lodged in my heart.

Sulmonte, I am in the same boat as you now most of the time. When I read the AY or the lessons or the lectures, I have to go slow because I find so much that needs to be absorbed within a few sentences. I wasn't like this when I started on this path, so I think perhaps this comes with having practiced Kriya for a few years. When I started the lessons many years ago, I would read the entire 2 lessons when they arrived. Much of it was above and beyond my comprehension, but it was still a great thing to do, because I did retain many things from that initial reading and it came to my aid at crucial times in my life. So both methods work, reading a lot and reading deeply just a little bit.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #22
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
Mike, You were wondering where Guruji says to read the lessons everyday. He says it in one of the audio tapes of his. Yes, Bro Bhaktananda would constantly remind during the weekly services to read the lessons daily, even if only a paragraph. I used to attend Hollywood temple when he was there, and I am realizing only now that many things he would say during the weekly services are in fact lodged in my heart.

Sulmonte, I am in the same boat as you now most of the time. When I read the AY or the lessons or the lectures, I have to go slow because I find so much that needs to be absorbed within a few sentences. I wasn't like this when I started on this path, so I think perhaps this comes with having practiced Kriya for a few years. When I started the lessons many years ago, I would read the entire 2 lessons when they arrived. Much of it was above and beyond my comprehension, but it was still a great thing to do, because I did retain many things from that initial reading and it came to my aid at crucial times in my life. So both methods work, reading a lot and reading deeply just a little bit.
Yes, that is where I heard it Simple,on a CD that was played at our group's 6 hour meditation for Master recently.

My somewhat usual way of reading the Lessons: I try to read without stopping, from 1 subheading to next to get overall continuity (that can be less or more than 1 pg), then go back, underline, contemplate....often as you and Sulmonte say, not getting past 1rst paragraph in the subheading content....I have spent weeks going over 1 section of 3-4 paragraphs....after reading ahead a lesson or two,I often circle back to same Lesson and spend another week or 2 on sections that fill me with hope, wonder, inspire me.

Last edited by mike1yogi; 02-10-2018 at 10:04 PM.
mike1yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #23
Delsol
Administrator

There is still a restricted area of this board reserved for the Online Study Group. It fizzled out after a few years due to lack of participation. In essence, it was thus:

1. To join, one had to demonstrate they had their own copy of the lessons.

2. The lessons themselves were not copied here. Once a week, a member of the Study Group would post the Title, Affirmation and Prayer from the current lesson in a private area, another would follow the next week in sequence and so on. All members would study and meditate on that particular lesson for the entire week.

3. The lessons were not 'discussed' at all, though people might offer encouraging or supportive words relating to the topic.

The study group was inspired by offline groups, and attempted to follow the same guidelines recommended by Master (e.g. do not share the lessons, nor discuss them). In offline study groups, someone reads - everyone meditates. Someone reads a bit more. Everyone meditates. I believe Master's explanation for this practice had something to do with avoiding people misinterpreting what something means and repeating that to someone else. He felt we should each glean the meaning of a lesson directly from God.

So! That is how it WAS. We could create such again. I do not know these days where SRF stands on guidelines for such groups. Maybe the secrecy and non-discussion has become outdated? If there is a need, we can create a new Study Group. I would think we need at least 3 or 4 interested people to keep the group going. You can count me in. I have been meaning to start at Lesson One eventually. It helps to know others are reading with you! All suggestions and requests welcome.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #24
kabbalah

I had some of the lessons in a binder and some in a box. I moved several years ago to a new house. In the process of moving I am not sure where they are or can't remember if I had seen them a while ago but I was thinking about it the other day. Since they mailed a few pages every two weeks it was hard to keep track of them at least it seemed at the time. The part of the lessons that solved some of the mystery to me was the kriya part because prior to that I was unsure. Apparently there are kriya books online. I was thinking of ordering one but I found a free PDF book called "kriya yoga: synthesis of a personal experience " by Ennio Nimis. He apparently was a disciple or influenced by yogananda as the book does mention yogananda. I haven't read the book but I downloaded it onto my tablet. It is 84 pages
kabbalah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:53 AM   #25
lotuspath
Hay hari Sundara

I have all the SRF lessons on my iPad which for me is most convenient to read anytime, as I have it with me for work and travel and nearby at home. When the new lessons are released I will be starting from the beginning at step 1. As of now I am on step 5 of the original lessons. I have read through them all before.

So, for me, I would say I am interested to join, but it would be when the new lessons are released. Maybe that would be a good launch time ( release of new lessons) for those who have the current lessons and have been through them all already?

As far as my current study habits, I have a loose routine of sorts: I first read part of a lesson on my iPad. It could be a page, paragraph or pages depending on what I am feeling at the time. I then read either the SRF God Talks with Arjuna, or Second Coming of Christ which I also have on iPad as PDF full versions. Same loose routine goes for them as well. I also read some AOY. But some days I only focus on one of them.

I have found reading a little before meditation helps me to get into the ďzoneĒ
faster.

On my wish list: Digital option for new lessons from SRF. Letís save some trees.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #26
Dave

I am thoroughly bored with all the writings of Yogananda because I have read them over countless times and there is nothing new now.

Not having the luxury of an Ipad obviously prevents me from appreciating a lot of the written material in the lessons.

I used to have the printed material but ran out of physical space to keep them.

How does grace work if you don't have free will? Or, if you have free will, how is God omniscient?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #27
kabbalah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I am thoroughly bored with all the writings of Yogananda because I have read them over countless times and there is nothing new now.
Read something else that is related ? Practice meditation more instead ?
I have often read other books. I read Swami Rama. I find the stories interesting as he grew up and lived in the himalayas in caves. It did not diminish my feeling of Yogananda as being the most amazing but like you I can only get motivated to read the same material so much. I have also read psychology books and many things.

Quote:
How does grace work if you don't have free will? Or, if you have free will, how is God omniscient?
I think that grace means god gives you a break, that you don't have to work too hard if it feels like a burden. Otherwise if you do work hard, don't let it go to your head because your ability to work hard is a gift

We have free will, yet it is limited. We can not by our free will live to be 300 years old or escape every form of suffering. By spiritual teachings we can find meaning in suffering but that is in some sense surrendering to god I think
Old 02-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #28
sheoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delsol View Post
There is still a restricted area of this board reserved for the Online Study Group. It fizzled out after a few years due to lack of participation. In essence, it was thus:

1. To join, one had to demonstrate they had their own copy of the lessons.

2. The lessons themselves were not copied here. Once a week, a member of the Study Group would post the Title, Affirmation and Prayer from the current lesson in a private area, another would follow the next week in sequence and so on. All members would study and meditate on that particular lesson for the entire week.

3. The lessons were not 'discussed' at all, though people might offer encouraging or supportive words relating to the topic.

The study group was inspired by offline groups, and attempted to follow the same guidelines recommended by Master (e.g. do not share the lessons, nor discuss them). In offline study groups, someone reads - everyone meditates. Someone reads a bit more. Everyone meditates. I believe Master's explanation for this practice had something to do with avoiding people misinterpreting what something means and repeating that to someone else. He felt we should each glean the meaning of a lesson directly from God.

So! That is how it WAS. We could create such again. I do not know these days where SRF stands on guidelines for such groups. Maybe the secrecy and non-discussion has become outdated? If there is a need, we can create a new Study Group. I would think we need at least 3 or 4 interested people to keep the group going. You can count me in. I have been meaning to start at Lesson One eventually. It helps to know others are reading with you! All suggestions and requests welcome.

Thank you, Shannon!
As of now, we have three members interested - you, yogagirl & me.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #29
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Thank you, Shannon!
As of now, we have three members interested - you, yogagirl & me.
You guys can count me in, I really need a refresh.
This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #30
mike1yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuspath View Post
On my wish list: Digital option for new lessons from SRF. Letís save some trees.
I'd like to see SRF make eBooks out of everything - they do have alot of titles, but not GTWA or SCoC, big task no doubt....

But the Lessons? I like having them in printed form, to hold, underline (in pencil), etc....and, besides being quite labor intensive, not sure SRF wants the new Lessons floating around the internet, able to be downloaded, etc...
Old 02-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #31
mike1yogi

Quote:
So, for me, I would say I am interested to join, but it would be when the new lessons are released. Maybe that would be a good launch time ( release of new lessons) for those who have the current lessons and have been through them all already?
I had this same thought.....hard to know the timetable of release, but I think it'd be a great way to stay on task....and there's bound to be interest- I know I'm enthused about what the new lessons will be!

edit: The current Lessons are priceless.....new Lessons even better?....not sure about that, but clearer, better organized....wow.

Last edited by mike1yogi; 02-14-2018 at 01:10 AM.
mike1yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:19 AM   #32
yogagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Sorry to hear that, Dave.
Finding activities and changes of environment that keep our wonder alive, is of utmost importance.
For someone who cannot go out much, for example, gardening is the only change of environment that can keep and renew wonder.

Personally, I would have been a bad nun, as it seems that only difficult, unspiritual environments, uncomfortable situations, and such like, have been able to shake me up enough to keep my wonder alive of the spiritually pure and beautiful. Now that I'm gradually getting into the habit of searching, and looking for spiritual wonder, I might possibly be an OK nun (although not a great one ) in another life!
Although I really wouldn't like to be a mountain yogi. I'm a bit worried, though, as when I first started out on the path, I kept sending powerful thoughts into the ether...why am I not a mountain yogi? Being a householder is so boring!!! Quite ridiculous, because I couldn't even meditate! lol! I now have become very attached to a comfortable bed, and cannot envision life without one!!!

All this to say....be brave and dive in....nature, and not books, is man's natural environment!

As for your other question:
"How does grace work if you don't have free will? Or, if you have free will, how is God omniscient?", this forum cannot tell you, but the plants in the gardens eventually will...
IDF
Old 02-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #33
yogagirl

But for those of us who have the good fortune of still being in love with master's words, or able to remind ourselves of remaining in love with them....I was wondering....has anyone ever been able to learn the lessons by heart? How wonderful to go about your daily business, and then to flick over the pages mentality, to be able to remember the paragraph needed in a flash, to be able to recite all of Guruji's advice, poems and affirmations when needed. To be a walking 'lessons'!! Such brains do exist, I'm sure!
( Maybe Brother Chidhananda has such a brain, which encompasses and has mentally filed every word that our guru ever uttered. )
IDF
Old 02-14-2018, 03:40 AM   #34
sulmonte

Quote:
But for those of us who have the good fortune of still being in love with master's words, or able to remind ourselves of remaining in love with them....I was wondering....has anyone ever been able to learn the lessons by heart? How wonderful to go about your daily business, and then to flick over the pages mentality, to be able to remember the paragraph needed in a flash, to be able to recite all of Guruji's advice, poems and affirmations when needed. To be a walking 'lessons'!! Such brains do exist, I'm sure!
( Maybe Brother Chidhananda has such a brain, which encompasses and has mentally filed every word that our guru ever uttered. )
IDF
You again....YG - lessons by heart??? :-) I am glad that I do know some affirmations by heart, even in Sanskrit, and I do have a little notebook in my bag in which - from the beginning of decipleship - I did note quotes and affirmations to be there for me anytime. But as Brother Baktananda told us: OM Guru is powerful enough to jump around in bliss. ;-) IDF
Old 02-14-2018, 05:11 AM   #35
kabbalah

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, Dave.
Finding activities and changes of environment that keep our wonder alive, is of utmost importance.
For someone who cannot go out much, for example, gardening is the only change of environment that can keep and renew wonder.

Personally, I would have been a bad nun, as it seems that only difficult, unspiritual environments, uncomfortable situations, and such like, have been able to shake me up enough to keep my wonder alive of the spiritually pure and beautiful. Now that I'm gradually getting into the habit of searching, and looking for spiritual wonder, I might possibly be an OK nun (although not a great one ) in another life!
Although I really wouldn't like to be a mountain yogi. I'm a bit worried, though, as when I first started out on the path, I kept sending powerful thoughts into the ether...why am I not a mountain yogi? Being a householder is so boring!!! Quite ridiculous, because I couldn't even meditate! lol! I now have become very attached to a comfortable bed, and cannot envision life without one!!!

All this to say....be brave and dive in....nature, and not books, is man's natural environment!

As for your other question:
"How does grace work if you don't have free will? Or, if you have free will, how is God omniscient?", this forum cannot tell you, but the plants in the gardens eventually will...
IDF

Perhaps if you spend some time tent camping in the outdoors then you will learn to appreciate your house or perhaps you will see what you're missing by staying in the house.

Why not meditate on the transient nature of all phenomenon? This bed that you are attached to is transient. you will not be permanently associated with it indefinitely, only god is not transient

Thermarest makes some very nice mattresses suitable for camping. Have you ever slept in a car ? Put the seat back all the way and rest?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:16 AM   #36
yogagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbalah View Post
Perhaps if you spend some time tent camping in the outdoors then you will learn to appreciate your house or perhaps you will see what you're missing by staying in the house.

Why not meditate on the transient nature of all phenomenon? This bed that you are attached to is transient. you will not be permanently associated with it indefinitely, only god is not transient

Thermarest makes some very nice mattresses suitable for camping. Have you ever slept in a car ? Put the seat back all the way and rest?
Good advice, Kabbalah!
Old 02-14-2018, 06:21 AM   #37
yogagirl

Quote:
You again....YG - lessons by heart??? :-) I am glad that I do know some affirmations by heart, even in Sanskrit, and I do have a little notebook in my bag in which - from the beginning of decipleship - I did note quotes and affirmations to be there for me anytime. But as Brother Baktananda told us: OM Guru is powerful enough to jump around in bliss. ;-) IDF
A little note book...great idea....affirmations in Sanskrit....must have a powerful musical quality to them....jumping around in bliss.....even better!
Old 02-14-2018, 06:44 AM   #38
sulmonte

Quote:
A little note book...great idea....affirmations in Sanskrit....must have a powerful musical quality to them....jumping around in bliss.....even better!
Who does need an iphone...notebook all you need...good luck!!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #39
iceman

Quote:
IDF
Hi Yoga Girl,

Memorizing the Lessons, eh? How about memorizing the Vedas,
or the Mahabharata, or the Ramayana?

I have spent countless hours reading the Master's teachings,
to my great benefit.

BUT, far more important and far more difficult is to actually
APPLY the teachings. Apply 1% of the teachings and you will
get liberation!

Be Well
iceman
PS
Trust me, you don't wat to be a Nun!
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #40
yogagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Hi Yoga Girl,

Memorizing the Lessons, eh? How about memorizing the Vedas,
or the Mahabharata, or the Ramayana?

I have spent countless hours reading the Master's teachings,
to my great benefit.

BUT, far more important and far more difficult is to actually
APPLY the teachings. Apply 1% of the teachings and you will
get liberation!

Be Well
iceman
PS
Trust me, you don't wat to be a Nun!
Bless you, iceman! That's the wisest council ever! If I read my way through, eat my way through, or even worse....was contemplating on singing my way through....!! All completely useless if I don't apply. This is encouraging news, though, that I only need apply one percent....well, until I learn how to apply, I'll just keep on singing my way through. I was wondering how to get the teachings to indelibly stick to me...and you came up with the magic word....APPLY!