A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Health, Diet and Recipes

Old 02-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
mccoy
supernal user

Books to start vegan regimen

Here are some suggestions, I read'em all but the more introductory book by Hever & Cronise. All excellent choices, the most objective and complete is maybe 'Becoming vegan' .

This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
mccoy
supernal user

Another very recent book with the basics on plant based nutrition, very simple, interesting and modern format. This is the 2nd edition, with Ray Cronise and Penn GIllette's foreword (he lost tens of pounds on a vegan diet designed by Ray Cronise).

This world is ruled by invisibilities or ghosts: God the Father , Christ Consciousness, the seven Spirits before the throne of God; and Satan and his legion of evil powers - Paramhansa Yogananda, Man's Eternal Quest.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
mccoy
supernal user

A couple of more suggestions for the interested ones. With these 4 books we know all we need on vegan nutrition and its benefits to health. I read em all but The idiot's guide, since that's more for beginners.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
mccoy
supernal user

he order in which the books should be read:

1-Hever, Cronise - Palnt Based nutrition
2-Dr Greger - How not to die
3-Davis, Melina - Becoming vegan
4-Dr Fuhrman - superimmunity
Old 02-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
he order in which the books should be read:

1-Hever, Cronise - Palnt Based nutrition
2-Dr Greger - How not to die
3-Davis, Melina - Becoming vegan
4-Dr Fuhrman - superimmunity
Good choice of books, McCoy, especially the first 3. I'm not too aware of the 4th. I've been vegan for years and find it very easy to do and a wonderful diet and lifestyle. Just eat lots of beans and greens, as Dr. Greger always says. The B12 issue is not a problem either. Both vegans and those who eat animals or their milk or eggs have to be a little concerned as both can be deficient. Our digestive systems are the issue as well as the depleted soil and water used in animal agriculture. There is B12 in some plant foods but to be on the safe side taking a supplement is easy, cheap and very much better than supporting animal abuse and killing. I found this video very interesting. I believe there is B12 in more plant foods than we realize. Good luck with your transition to veganism. Om Guru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BLjAi9gXG0&t=72s
Earthling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:38 AM   #6
mccoy
supernal user

Earthling, if you know more interesting books please feel free to add to the list.

Dr. Fuhrman is a practicing physician who has developed his so called 'nutritarian' approach to a regimen which develops an ultra-resistant immune system.

For those who are able to follow such a strict regimen it's really exceptional, maybe you have to be a little overweight since you're probably going to loose weight.
It's based on raw and cooked vegetables, no oils, plus the 5 groups of food which have been shown to boost the immune system. In a nutshell:

-Green vegetables, + fruit
-Beans = legumes
-Onions, garlic, leek (alliacea)
-Mushrooms (the fungi kingdom)
-Berries
-Seeds and nuts

He also allows one cup of whole grain cereals per day

He allows 10% animal food and that's a smart proposition to transition
Old 02-14-2018, 07:36 AM   #7
yogagirl

Nice the way both the first day of lent and Valentine's day coincide (see Adhikari's post..) so a new diet can be started and the old one given up for Him. To purify the temple as a gesture of love for the Guru...
(the fact that I have to write this down is a give away...as it will take an extra effort for me to get started, never really having fasted before...!)
yogagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
Always God

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/vegans/
Always God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #9
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
Earthling, if you know more interesting books please feel free to add to the list.

Dr. Fuhrman is a practicing physician who has developed his so called 'nutritarian' approach to a regimen which develops an ultra-resistant immune system.

For those who are able to follow such a strict regimen it's really exceptional, maybe you have to be a little overweight since you're probably going to loose weight.
It's based on raw and cooked vegetables, no oils, plus the 5 groups of food which have been shown to boost the immune system. In a nutshell:

-Green vegetables, + fruit
-Beans = legumes
-Onions, garlic, leek (alliacea)
-Mushrooms (the fungi kingdom)
-Berries
-Seeds and nuts

He also allows one cup of whole grain cereals per day

He allows 10% animal food and that's a smart proposition to transition

Thanks McCoy. it sounds like Dr. Fuhrman's recommendations are in line with Dr. Greger's and the others. Personally I don't think we have to worry about transitioning to veganism too slowly though. Plant-based foods are so much easier to absorb and digest than animal foods, so the body adjusts easily. Many people do it 'cold turkey', so to speak.

This is a good talk on diet and nutrition i just found today. I think you would like it .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9hCjX4yOfE
Earthling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #10
mccoy
supernal user

earthling, thanks for the link, Fuhrman and Greger preach practically the same Gospel, quantitatively Fuhrman puts the emphasys on green vegetables, whereas Greger on beans and cereals.