A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Yoga and Meditation

Old 07-01-2004, 02:37 AM   #1
Bluntman

The Energization Exercises wear me out...

38 exercises to be memorized and done in order. And memorize the frequency for each exercise as well?

I have a hard enough time remembering 5 items on my wife's shopping list. And in order? Forget it...

Yes, I could look at the lesson to assist me while I'm learning, but that kind of defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do, which is relax.

Can any of you forumites recite all 38 exercises in order (along with frequency) from memory? If so, how long did you work at it? I don't think I would have the patience to memorize and stick with this EE program, especially since the exercises don't seem that 'unique'.

Gosh, I hope learning Kriya won't be this tough!

Just being blunt...
Bluntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:55 AM   #2
Striving
Banat, banat, ban jai.

Hey Bluntman,

The exercises are difficult to learn - at first...when one has them all memorized in the proper order, they become second nature.

I personally look at it like chanting...Sometimes, I hear other people play the harmonium so beautifully, I wish that I could play the chants as well as they can. But we all have to start somewhere - the journey of a thousand miles begins with a first step...or something like that.

There are several steps I need to take whenever learning a new chant. First, I have to learn to play the melody properly. Then, I have to repeat it until I can play it with my eyes closed. Then I have to learn to play and sing at the same time. Finally, I have to make sure I'm singing the chant with concentration and devotion.

Similarily, with the EE, to incorporate their practice into my daily routine, I had to first learn how to do them...(i.e. the physical motions), then the correct sequence. After this became second nature, then I was able to perform each exercise with deeper levels relaxation and concentration.

I'm no master yet - it's a continuing work in progress. But I can definetly say that repetition is the key to success. Same goes with Kriya, Hong-Sau, and Om. I hope this helps. Learn a couple of exercises at a time, I found it helpful to create a "cheat sheet", until everything became second nature to me. I couldn't necessarily give you a full list of the names now, but I know what the exercises are, and I know the sequence, thanks to repetition.

Brother Anandamoy said on one of his tapes (and I paraphrase) "when you are doing the techniques, don't think of it as a cold, dry, mechanical science. Rather, think 'I am going inside, where He is awaiting me'".

Don't be too discouraged...Yogananda promised that if we preservere there is an eternity of bliss that awaits us in Him.

We're all rooting for you too...
Striving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:49 AM   #3
Delsol
Administrator

Bluntman - first the Lessons were boring, now the exercises are too hard. Where is your will power? Your desire? Your... oomph? Trust the Guru! Imagine Yoganandaji had your attitude towards Sri Yukteswar! lol. Can you imagine Him saying, "Aw dang it, Master. I don't wanna do that. Too hard. Just gimme what I want, okay? Gimme! Gimme! Whimper. Whine. Moan." lol -

The exercises are a requirement to receive Kriya, not an option. They prepare your body for what comes next - very important. If you wish to be a Kriyaban, not only must you learn them, but you must do them the rest of your life. This is not a.... punishment, or some kind of made up rule. It is necessary. Your body needs the conditioning; your spirit does, too. You can't replace these exercises with your own - they are specifically DESIGNED. It isn't about toning muscles, or relaxing - it's about discipline, preparing your very cells, your whole being. Do you think you know more than the Guru? Can pick and choose what will work, what won't? He knows. You do not! I think you need to accept that if you really want to succeed (to be blunt).

Seriously - think about it.

Then just DO IT. Do it, do it, do it, do it. You can. You will.

Like Striving said, we are all rooting for you (and each other) - but seriously, just DO IT! (grin)

Delsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
Arlos

Blunt,

The EE's are to help you focus. Just as breathing seems like second nature, you perform it without thinking about it. Drawing energy into the body through a center is converseley un- natural just as learning to focus at the christ center. Energy leaving and entering the body is just as natural as breathing when you've learned to perform the EE's and other techniques. EE, H S, the OM technique and the 4 levels of Kriya are all building blocks. When you finally receive Kriya, it will be stressed that you practice them perfectly. Practicing one perfect Kriya is far more benificial than practicing 10,000 ill performed Kriya's.
If you don't put discipline to your practice then there is no point into going any further on this path. This isn't a free ride, you have to make the effort if you want any results
This is roughly my 40th year on this path and I too am still learning daily. Though diving deeply in meditation is easy now and keeping my attention at the christ center during daily activities is second nature, it took years of daily change and discipline. When I first came onto this path, it is all I wanted and pursued God and all else was left behind until I was firmly rooted which literally took about 7 years. I never questioned anything from the lessons and dove into this path with undying faith. Absolutley everything took a back seat while I raced to find God.
Find a local SRF/ YSS group, do what ever it takes to come to convocation next year and by all means meditate with a group to help establish your daily practice. Gaining faith and trust is not easy to cultivate but it can be done. You'll find it as easy as breathing. when you are willing to take the first step..

Arlos
Arlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
Chad
Yogananda/SRF devotee

Energization

Bluntman,

all I can say is if you stick with the Lessons and do as Yogananda says, results will come. It takes time to form new habits, but the real trick is not to give up.

It took time for me to grasp the EEs. I started slowly... the first two days I did the first 5. The next two days I did the first 10... etc. until I did them all. I do not know the names, nor can tell you the order. But I can do them today without looking at the lessons. It has become part of a daily routine.

If you do them for awhile, your body, mind and spirit will benefit greatly, in perhaps subtle ways.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:36 PM   #6
username

You can keep the lesson in front of you while you do EE until you memorize it.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 12:02 AM   #7
Bluntman

Thanks for all your thoughtful replies! Sorry if my post came across like a whining little child - I've been holding back that post for 2 weeks and I had to get it out of me (I feel much better now).
Old 08-07-2004, 09:49 PM   #8
Pace
live,love,laugh,meditate

overwhelming

Hello...
When I first read Bluntman's post about the energization excersizes, I thought he was just wishing everything was easier. However.... today I just got my lessons in the mail with all 38 excersizes. Wow!!! :ohno: It is a little overwhelming to think I will need to do all of them "perfectly".

Reading over this thread I saw some of you saying we can do a little at a time. Whew!!! What a relief! How long did it take to perfect the excersizes? Or at least feel comfortable doing them all in order and correctly? Bluntman.... have you been able to do them in order yet?

I trust you all when you say it just takes practice and repetition. The reward is there at the end of the road. It's just actually reading the signs that is a challenge to me now.

Thank you for listening. Have a nice evening.

Michelle
Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 12:15 AM   #9
Pace
live,love,laugh,meditate

I hit the send button before I realized the horrible spelling error in "exercises".

Michelle
Old 08-08-2004, 01:29 AM   #10
Bluntman

Yes, the EE's are NO small task to accomplish, if you want to do them right. Besides memorizing all 38 in order, you have to break down each EE, all of which go into excruciating detail.

I've spent hours on the first few, but I'm tempted to throw in the towel - my inner voice is telling me that my time would be better spent in meditation (time for me which is hard enough to come by as is).
Old 08-08-2004, 02:40 AM   #11
lotuspath
Hay hari Sundara

Pace.....next time just use the edit button in the lower right corner..I use it alot.

Bluntman.......The EE's are not just exercise....they are a form of pranayama as well.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:30 AM   #12
wave

Quote:
Originally posted by lotuspath

Bluntman.......The EE's are not just exercise....they are a form of pranayama as well.
I have to agree.
I only know from my own experience, but meditation afterwards is always better when I do the EE's to the best of my ability. I always feel better and 'get deeper' (what they're for after all), give them a chance.

I empathize with you on the overwhelming nature of them, I've had my troubles too. it's just a matter of memory and habit, like anything else, it will become easier. I still 'space' an exercise here or there or skip them if I can only see my way to a short meditation but I then I can tell the difference.

hang with it and you'll see it's worth it
wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:10 AM   #13
Pace
live,love,laugh,meditate

encouraging

thanks, for all your encouragement.

I'm just going to take the EE's a little at a time. It's obviously possible to do them all with time and practice. Thanks for your advice.

MIchelle
Old 08-08-2004, 02:43 PM   #14
Greg
Administrator

Hi Pace and Bluntman,

I am trying to remember back when I first memorized the EE's and... it's been so long that I don't actually remember my experience. It must have been hard, because as you say there is so much that goes into them. But... after time they become so second-nature that I don't even give them a thought - other than trying to do them correctly and consciously. My advice...perhaps hold off on the next volume of lessons until you 'nail' the EE's. It is the first of Master's techniques. So, it will be the foundation of everything that follows. Take your time. It seems daunting, but you have literally 'years' to learn them if that is what it takes. Nothing is daunting when it is adapted in a slow methodical manner. You can do it!

idf
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:06 PM   #15
student

Location: "Deep in the heart of God where no trouble can find you"
advice from a friend

Perhaps sometimes when we try to improve something and do things 'right' we have a tendency to take all of the tension unconciously gathered from elsewhere in our lives and sort of relocate it in our new practice.

Just try to proceed as gently and as comfortably as you can.

Over the years I have found at times to my great suprise when reading something quite far afield from YOGA that certain basics predominate in every field of endeavor.

Let me try to share this.

I once accidentally came across a copy of the bible with some alternate translations.
The book of Proverbs VANITIES OF VANITIES WAS NOT LITERAL.LITERAL WAS THE BLOWING OF THE EAST WIND
AN OBVIOUS REFERENCE TO PRANAYAMA METHODS AS ESSENTIAL FOR ANY ACCOMPLISHMENT.

BEGIN WHERE YOU ARE WITH WHAT YOU HAVE
DO WHAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY
ENJOY

"SMILES ARE SO NECCESSARY" -PYJI

GOD AND THE GREAT ONES BLESS!
student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:24 PM   #16
bakti
h-OM-e

Here is a chart of the EE you can print for quick reference. These stick figures are in the new version of the lesson. When I got my EE lesson there where no illustrations, just the text, so please consider how fortunate to have the extra help the stick figures supply

http://www.pipeline.com/~bakti/frien...PixSummary.pdf
http://www.geocities.com/belinbakti/
bakti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:34 PM   #17
Bluntman

Quote:
Originally posted by bakti
Here is a chart of the EE you can print for quick reference.
Thanks, Bakti - this helps a lot! Before I tried to master perfectly each EE, one at a time (very time consuming and frustrating). Recently I just did them all as best I could with the lesson open, quickly reading only a line or two of instruction per exercise (and praying I got it right!), before moving on to the next exercise.

With 38 exercises a study-and-do session could easily take me 2 hours, but your diagram will be great for those mini-sessions when I'm pressed for time...much appreciated...
Old 08-18-2004, 12:35 AM   #18
Chipkalee

thanks so much for the pdf file link!!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:16 AM   #19
wave

yes, thanks for the link.
that's nice to have on hand for 'spacey' daze (days )
wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:50 AM   #20
yogodan
1000 Petals Nectar Drink

Yoga Breaks

Energization Exercises are very simple but powerful recharging techniques. One can feel the energy going through the medulla when doing these exercises. May be if these techniques are not confidential then I suppose every corporate office will be preferring a yoga break to coffee break

IDF,
Yogodan
Old 07-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #21
pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogodan
May be if these techniques are not confidential then I suppose every corporate office will be preferring a yoga break to coffee break.
I think the Energization Exercises should be taught to the general public, including office workers and prisoners. Yoga classes for prisoners - with good results - have been multiplying I think. I remember the story of Sri Ramanuja, who was given the mantra Om namo Narayanaya by his guru and forbidden from sharing it. Out of compassion, however, Ramanuja gathered a large group of people and shouted the mantra out loud. I certainly don't encourage people to break their SRF pledges. I think it is good that the EEs are available from Ananda without a secrecy pledge and I hope they will spread in society, which should make the world a better place to live in as people's well-being will increase.
pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #22
iceman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntman
Thanks, Bakti - this helps a lot! Before I tried to master perfectly each EE, one at a time (very time consuming and frustrating). Recently I just did them all as best I could with the lesson open, quickly reading only a line or two of instruction per exercise (and praying I got it right!), before moving on to the next exercise.

With 38 exercises a study-and-do session could easily take me 2 hours, but your diagram will be great for those mini-sessions when I'm pressed for time...much appreciated...
Hi Bluntman,

Being honest is a great quality, I think. Sometimes complaining
is all you can do. But, in time as you practice and become
immersed in bliss, complaints will cease.

Anyhow, it says in the Lesson to just do a few exercises a
day until you know them all. Just do one or two and add
one a week until you get the routine planted in your brain.
Don't make it an ordeal..........it's fun!

Best Wishes
iceman
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #23
kp1

Patience

Hi Bluntman,

I too thought that these would take a while to learn. Note that in the lessons, we are told how to best learn the exercises.

It just takes a bit of patience (which I sorely lacked before). Within about 3 weeks, or so if you persist, you would have memorised the exercises and how to basically do them. Add 2-3 new ones every couple of days.
Once you know the exercises, then you can really start to concentrate.
There are two important points, 1. Keep the eyes at the Christ Center throughout but don't put your attention there. Just lift the gaze and forget. 2. We must visualise the energy flowing . I spoke to a Brother at Mother Center and he says he visualises the energy as a Lazer Beam . Note that the actual feeling of energy will come with pratice and with the Grace of Guruji (i don't feel it yet myself), so for now just visualise.
It seems daunting but place your goal about 2-3 months down the line that you will be competent in doing them. Don't think you need to do them perfectly straight away. Also the time it takes drops dramatically from the inital stages. When we concentrate, the exercises get done in perfect time.

Keep on keeping on. You WILL learn them if you apply yourself. They are not difficult to learn. Just be patient.

We get points for sincerely trying, and striving to perfect the techniques. The actual results are in Guruji's hands. He will determine when we are ready. Ask Guruji for the strength to learn them!! you WILL do it.

Jai Ma,
Jai Guruji.
kp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #24
Orange

Does anyone have the pdf file to share? The post that has it is old and the link doesn't work.

Thank you,
Orange
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #25
srinath0253

same here also.... it is not working....

srinath
srinath0253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #26
donna

Bluntman

I had my lessons for the EE open in front of me for many weeks while doing the exercises. Well after adding all of them, I would do one and then read description for the the next exercise and do it, and so on and so forth. Even today, there are times when I forget one of the exercises and I have to go back to the lessons to refresh.

It has been my experience in the time when I have slacked and not done the exercises, the first few times, I do feel a tiredness, but then, about day 3, I get finished with them and can hardly believe the energy I have.

Banat banat ban jai, as Lahiri Mahasaya would have said! Keep on keeping on!

Edited to add: reading further on, it also helped me a whole lot the first time I was on a retreat at Encinitas to keep one eye open and watch the renuncient performing the exercises, close up, (same for paying attention at the class during convocation), it was amazing how many I was doing wrong!
donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #27
Premayogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace View Post
Hello...
When I first read Bluntman's post about the energization excersizes, I thought he was just wishing everything was easier. However.... today I just got my lessons in the mail with all 38 excersizes. Wow!!! :ohno: It is a little overwhelming to think I will need to do all of them "perfectly".

Reading over this thread I saw some of you saying we can do a little at a time. Whew!!! What a relief! How long did it take to perfect the excersizes? Or at least feel comfortable doing them all in order and correctly? Bluntman.... have you been able to do them in order yet?

I trust you all when you say it just takes practice and repetition. The reward is there at the end of the road. It's just actually reading the signs that is a challenge to me now.

Thank you for listening. Have a nice evening.

Michelle
Well for me memorizing the excercizes was one of the hardest things in the beginning, I used to do them with the sheets opened and there were times I thought I was never going to be able to memorize them but I kept trying, dreaming of the day I was going to be able to do them by heart, it finally happened and I couldn't believe my joy!!!

Then I have to say that after memorizing the sequence, doing the excercizes properly took time also, I've been doing them for 7 years and I still learn new things everyday.

If I can give you an advice, don't suffer your sadhana, enjoy it, think about it with joy, how it is helping you become a stronger soul and about the infinite and peace it will bring to your life
Premayogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:20 AM   #28
Orange

Talking Do not worry

I posted a few above this one.

I've had the EE Lessons for 2 weeks. Do not sweat it! I was so scared I wasn't going to be able to do it right, remember it. Really I worried over nothing. Follow the advice given, and I would add, to read the Lesson before doing it everyday for the first week, it really helps it sink in, and primes you for actually doing it. At 2 weeks, well 10 days actually, I need peek in at the pictures maybe 4 times during a session. I have a good string at a time memorized. I'm sure in a week or so I'll not need to look at it anymore.

So future readers of this thread--it is way way easier then you think. And I have an average nothing special memory.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:14 AM   #29
Jitendra

Location: Zanasphere and places where people laugh at themselves
Available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakti View Post
Here is a chart of the EE you can print for quick reference. These stick figures are in the new version of the lesson. When I got my EE lesson there where no illustrations, just the text, so please consider how fortunate to have the extra help the stick figures supply

http://www.pipeline.com/~bakti/frien...PixSummary.pdf

Hi Bakti For the last two weeks i have tried to find your link. A message comes up that says unavailable is there a better link? Jitendra

Roadside Philosophy and Assistance... visit and mingle at:
Jitendra/Steve Hydonus at:
spiritualportal.net A spiritual forum.
http://stevehydonus.googlepages.com/ (Personal website)
ombabaji@hotmail.com (For CD's or information)
Jitendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #30
Swavek

I do the entire body energization excercize like this bear..
Swavek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #31
AUM1955

Quote:
These stick figures are in the new version of the lesson
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

Greetings fellow devotees,
Any student can call MC and ask for the updated EE Lessons with the stick figures. They will send them to you w/no questions asked.
My original EE Lessons did not have them. I called MC a few months ago to ask if they could send me the complete 3 years of Lessons, as mine were worn out.
It cost about $50 and I got them about a month and a half later. Well worth the wait.
I was surprised to see the little sticks in the EE. Very cool.

With God and Gurus Blessings

IDF:fellow: IDL, don
AUM1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #32
danebramage

Make Me Laugh

My goodness, that's one of the funniest things I've heard yet. Do those little stick figs have prana running into the medulla?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #33
ashok garekar

I AM ALSO CURIOUS ABOUT THESE STICKS ?

CAN ANY ONE ENLIGHTEN TO THE IGNORANT ?:votive::votive:
Old 06-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #34
danebramage

I guess that's why we're devotee's. Being devoted to money works for a lot of people. Being devoted to a happy, healthy, peacful life works for me.

I can't imagine a day passing without brushing my teeth.
Patanjali's eightfold path. This whole Kriya set-up has been lined out by some marvelous individuals.

It's like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. Some laws never change.
danebramage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #35
danebramage

I made learning the exercises easy on myself. I did them 3 times a day in the beginning couple of weeks until they were engrained in my subconscious.

Now I can do them anytime, anywhere and nobody even knows it for the most part. I omit the running if I'm standing in line.
danebramage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #36
Kev-108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntman View Post
38 exercises to be memorized and done in order. And memorize the frequency for each exercise as well?

I have a hard enough time remembering 5 items on my wife's shopping list. And in order? Forget it...

Yes, I could look at the lesson to assist me while I'm learning, but that kind of defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do, which is relax.

Can any of you forumites recite all 38 exercises in order (along with frequency) from memory? If so, how long did you work at it? I don't think I would have the patience to memorize and stick with this EE program, especially since the exercises don't seem that 'unique'.

Gosh, I hope learning Kriya won't be this tough!

Just being blunt...
What a devotee struggling with either the energization exercises or Om technique -- shame shame -- you should just quit now!! I'm kidding.

I've been on this path for 18 years and the EE's can be a joy and a pain in the butt. However, if you were experiencing deep bliss while practicing them, no one would have to coach you or coax you to practice, right?

We must do everything like we are trying to extract bliss from it, on the first try.

There are three things that must grow exponentially before God comes: 1) Relaxation (letting go and physical), 2) Patience (listening and softening), 3) Mirth (bubbling inner laughter).

God is like a child and children come where there is joy and laughter -- it's number one. "Love" is of course what keeps God permanently, but the introduction is made in a mirthful mind and contenence. So laugh and smile while you meditate, expect bliss to be around 2 minutes of continuity away (that being said we need only to push in 15 second intervals into 30 second intervals), and relax-soften (mind-body-spirit) all the time.

Relax means "attentive relaxation."

Hahahaahha (haaaa haaaa haaaa)

Kevin

Urmi Haasa Ananda (Bliss through Bubbling Mirth)
Kev-108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #37
kabbalah

I practice Tai Chi and Kung Fu. I am curious if anyone would say that such would be essentially the same as the energization exercises ? My initial impression is that they would be.

These methods come down from an ancient buddhist monk named Bodhirama who travelled to China and taught energization excersizes to the monks at the Shaolin Temple. That system evolved into Kung Fu and influenced the formation of most all of the other martial arts systems of the east.
kabbalah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #38
Arlos

No they are not the same. I practiced Tai chi under a chinese master more than 35 years ago and he was most curious about my Kriya practice.
Arlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #39
kabbalah

I'm curious what you think is different about them ?

The asian martial arts activate the body energy (chi) in ways that regular exercise does not because many forms of exercise are either manly aerobic or only involve certain limbs and muscles where the more complex movements involve much more areas of the body. That type of thing seems to have health and healing aspects, relaxation etc, though I'm not really sure how it works, but you can just experience it.
kabbalah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #40
Jai Guruji
Thy naughty babe!

Chi as you said is body energy being reawakened with Tai Chi. With the energization you are drawing in cosmic energy not currently present. The soul source of life.
Jai Guruji is offline   Reply With Quote