A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees  

Go Back   A Place for Paramahansa Yogananda Devotees > Discussion Categories > Open Discussion

Old 06-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
sonofgod

Does Creative Visualization work ??

Hi friends ,

I've heard a lot about creative visualization techniques and success stories of people using visualization methods to achieve their various goals . Please share your opinions and any personal experiences you had with visualization .. If possible , please also share our master's teachings on the efficacy of visualization for practical purposes , if any .
A direct question :

"Do you think that one can bring about a physical change to his body with visualization techniques ? "

Also if you are positive abt this , can u come up with a logical explanation as to why Visualization works ?

Last edited by sonofgod; 06-15-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo
sonofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
Greg
Administrator

I do think you can create a change in your body using visualization. But, it's not enough to just visualize the change you want. There has to be some sort of action taken to bring about the result. A simple example: You are overweight and you visualize yourself as being lean and fit. Unless you act by adopting the appropriate exercises and diet, you won't become lean and fit. Same for other physical conditions.

Everything can be broken down into three disstict processes - an idea or plan, action and execution of the plan, and the manifested result. This corresponds to the Causal, Astral and Physical plane. A series of events has to transpire to bring about the desired result. One can visualize the events that need to occur and use that to develop a plan. But action and execution are also necessary.

There are many visualization techniques out there. Some may bring instantaneous results, if one's karma is right. But I think the downfall of many of these techniques, is that you are deeply implanting suggestions and thoughts that the body is changed, when it hasn't changed. You are just hypnotizing yourself. I have a friend who does this but doesn't realize it.

_/|\_ "Cut through the chains of agency and perceive the Single Cause!"

Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
sonofgod

Thnx Greg for the reply . but Greg , you say
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
But I think the downfall of many of these techniques, is that you are deeply implanting suggestions and thoughts that the body is changed, when it hasn't changed. You are just hypnotizing yourself. I have a friend who does this but doesn't realize it.
But isn't dat the idea behind visualization . I mean , i visualize that the change has already happened while it isn't and then the desired change ensues . But you say that leads to the downfall of the technique . I don't get it . Then , what do you think i should visualize to get the results ? What i'm asking is if i'm not to visualize the end result as already happened , what else should i visualize ? You seem to 've an alternate opinion about this . Please explain more about this .

If you've time , i request you to give an executable practical explanation especially if the goal is not such an easy task as loosing weight . i.e , what would u follow if for eg , your goal is to get rid of a tumour inside your head ? (i took this goal since i think one can't follow a well established action plan in life to do nything abt it .. ) .

Old 06-17-2010, 03:33 AM   #4
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgod View Post

what would u follow if for eg , your goal is to get rid of a tumour inside your head ? (i took this goal since i think one can't follow a well established action plan in life to do nything abt it .. ) .

that's a pretty serious matter.

A brain tumor, especially some varieties of it, is a distinct forewarning that the karmic predetermined time of your departure from the physical body is imminent with maximum likelyhood. There are very few warnings more clear than that.

To counteract such a powerful karma you should be more powerful than such a formidable illness. You should try and apply the healing by visualization technique thaught by Yogananda in his lessons.

I tried that for an injury but I wasn't able to bring about changes, apparently. the problem is still there. Maybe I should have gone on for years and years whereas I got tired relatively soon.

An extremely strong motivation might work.

If that's your specific case, there are some previous stories about practicing such techniques. I do not know where, maybe in an SRF magazines, I read about this boy visualizing war planes bombing the tumor in his head, for a long time every day. the tumor eventually regressed.

Yogananda's technique implies visualizing the healing energy in the specific body part, stimulated by contracting the local muscles. You don't have muscles in your brain though.

If you have multiple matastases in your brain, then I'm afraid the irrevocable death sentence is there.

Again, I don't know if the tumor example is related to your specific case or to relatives or just an imaginary situation. If it happened to me I would try and see the positive side of it, the privilege of knowing in advance the generic time of departure. Few persons can know that. And I believe that knowledge could be put to good use for our evolution.
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
Greg
Administrator

Quote:

If you've time , i request you to give an executable practical explanation especially if the goal is not such an easy task as loosing weight . i.e , what would u follow if for eg , your goal is to get rid of a tumour inside your head ? (i took this goal since i think one can't follow a well established action plan in life to do nything abt it .. ) .

It would be nice if we could visualize something, and then the outcome would ensue. I used to believe this myself, until I came to understand Yogananda's teachings. Only Siddhas might have that power, ones who have overcome delusion. Some people believe they are visualizing an outcome, and other people bring it into being. The visualizer then erroneously thinks he made it come into being through visualization alone. It's not necessarily in our best interest to fix our mind on something WE (meaning the ego) want and visualize it into existence. There are deep spiritual lessons to be learned by adversity, and after overcoming the adversity some blessing will come to that person.

There can be a lot of good done by visualization, especially if you have a strong will or determination. There have been studies done which study the brain when a person visualizes doing something (such as swinging a hammer) and when he actually does it. It turns out the same part of the brain is used in both cases. Studies have also shown if a person visualizes the steps of doing something, say learing to play a musical instrument, he gains a lot of practice and has an easier time of actually learning it.

As far as treating a brain tumor, yes, that might be exceedingly difficult to overcome, unless treatable by surgery. The blueprint of life allows us to reincarnate, to come back in an improved form. It would be wise for a person in that condition never to accept himself as being ill, as his real self is the soul. Affirmations of truth often contain power visualizations, that will bring a person to a fuller understanding of his condition. For instance, one in that condition might want to say the affirmation "I am not the body which changes and passes away. I am Spirit, immortal and indestructible. No amount of adversity can injure me."

_/|\_ "Cut through the chains of agency and perceive the Single Cause!"

Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
sonofgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
It would be nice if we could visualize something, and then the outcome would ensue. I used to believe this myself, until I came to understand Yogananda's teachings. Only Siddhas might have that power, ones who have overcome delusion. Some people believe they are visualizing an outcome, and other people bring it into being. The visualizer then erroneously thinks he made it come into being through visualization alone.
Hmmm ... I was in fact expecting some positive affirmations on this matter coz I always believed that visualization can be used to bring about a change in the physical world . By that I mean using visualization alone and nothin else , eventhough I had no success with it . But you seem to be negative about it . I was kinda excited after going throug some articles and certain videos on Visualization . Hey Greg , or anybody else have seen "The Secret" video ? I liked it . " The Law of Attraction " and such theories ... Can we just ignore them like that ? I dunno .
I've no experience , so I can't say anything 4 sure . But I'm thinking about giving it a shot .
And what about visualizing life energy flowing through our body and consciously directing it to various parts of our body as is used in Qi Gong and even in our master's lessons ? It's visualization rite , and I've read many positive results from real people . I urge you guys to comment on this ... and thnx mccoy and Greg for the valuable replies ..

Old 06-20-2010, 04:27 AM   #7
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
And what about visualizing life energy flowing through our body and consciously directing it to various parts of our body as is used in Qi Gong and even in our master's lessons ? It's visualization rite , and I've read many positive results from real people . I urge you guys to comment on this ... and thnx mccoy and Greg for the valuable replies ..

There is really no comment to do about that since it's Master's reccomendations, and every such a reccomendation is very valuable if it is not tainted by our fanaticism and wrong interpretations.

Again, in my case it had no results. It may have been lack of concentration or perseverance on my side, it might have been an irreversible karma from past lives. Sometimes not even the great masters are able to heal.

In other instances there might have been positive results. It's always worth trying, if you decide it's worth the time then the outcome is important to you and better try and fail than try nothing at all.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
dcwodtke

Hello my Friends,

I just wanted to give a quick reply of encouragement. My feeling and experience is Yes, Creative visualization works. There is always the matter of attunement to divine will though. Most of us have plenty of distractions and karma to deal with and must use common sense.

I had a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer in 2001 6 months after my kriya ceremony. I was able to use affirmation and visualization along with standard medical procedures, ie major surgery. In the surgery no cancer was found so the question that remains is: Was it miracle or misdiagnosis?

I knew it was just the beginning of my healing path however. I've used all the healing techniques that I was led to and have found visualization to be most effective. I've included awareness of diet, acupunture, gem therapy, qi gong, journalling and meditation among my techniques. My digestion is strong now in spite of my replumbing. I often visualize a golden sphere of light emanating.

Much Love, David /\

http://www.earth-service.com
dcwodtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
sonofgod

A quote from Master's autobiography (A dialogue b/w Master Yuktheshwar and Lahiri Mahasaya) :

Quote:
" Really, it has been your thoughts that have made you feel alternately weak and strong.' My master looked at me affectionately.

'You have seen how your health has exactly followed your expectations.
Thought is a force, even as electricity or gravitation. The human mind is a spark of the almighty consciousness of God. I could show you that whatever your powerful mind believes very intensely would instantly come to pass."
But I agree , without attaining sufficient command over ones mind , this may be unattainable ...
Old 09-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #10
dhriti

please help me

Is it possible for anyone to post here all the stories that came out in srf magazines about visualization written by guruji? I need that badly. hence it would be of great help if anyone can post those articles on visualization
dhriti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
Nito

Quote:
But I agree , without attaining sufficient command over ones mind , this may be unattainable ...
Don't give up on your enthusiasm. To be enthusiastic means to have God within. When you feel enthusiastic you ARE one with God.

Quote:
Origin:
1570–80; < LL enthūsiasmus < Gk enthousiasmós, equiv. to enthousí(a) possession by a god (énthous, var. of éntheos having a god within, equiv. to en- en-2 + -thous, -theos god-possessing + -ia y3) + -asmos, var., after vowel stems, of -ismos -ism
From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/enthusiasm

So, if you got enthusiastic about visualization i reckon God wants you to learn that art You were looking for a positive answer and you certainly deserve one. Look at what dcwodtke achieved with his determination!

I also remember Yoganandaji said something on the lines of "to the naughty baby Mother Divine comes quickly. Be like the naughty baby!". For me this means, never give up on your (good) dreams, and your (good) visualizations... I also remember that Master said something on the lines of "if you want something and it doesn't exist in the universe, God will create it for you..." (i.e. if you are persistent and you don't give up, God will allow you to have it even though nobody else before you had it).

I have one naughty baby in my house, an 8-year old, and he sometimes reminds me of Master's words. Also, Rajakrsna's constant cry for Krishna (even though we sometimes ridicule him) does the same for me.

What also inspires me is the following - Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'" (John 10:34)? For me this means that we (souls) are co-creators and gods, thoughts and visions that we entertain in our minds (and give power to) induce changes to the particular portion of His creation that we live in.

It is quite true that according to the power of our own will our success is measured, but Master also said that our own effort is only 25% - the rest is God's grace. To be more precise, guru's effort is another 25% and God's grace is 50%. Guru is one with God, hence Yoganandaji said that "God's grace is everything!"

Whatever good you are trying to achieve, don't give up. Gurus do help. I have also a personal experience of seeing people being healed by Jesus (see http://www.yoganandaji.org/board/showthread.php?t=6555).

However, what is equally true is that visualizations sometimes don't work. Sri Yukteswar said, "Thoughts are universally and not individually rooted; a truth cannot be created, but only perceived. The erroneous thoughts of man result from imperfections in his discernment. The goal of yoga science is to calm the mind, that without distortion it may mirror the divine vision in the universe." (AOY, Chapter 15)

When you visualize something you are tuning in with, as Brother Anandamoy said, not just that thought, but a whole strata (of consciousness) that that particular thought or vision belongs to. Now imagine, if your inner state of consciousness is incompatible with the particular strata of consciousness that you want to tune to (that you want to experience and you want to manifest and materialize in your life) would you be able to easily tune in and receive that new consciousness (for example, a consciousness of having a thin body when you currently have the opposite one)?

I agree with the guys that one would have to work a bit, but i don't agree with the sentiment. As you rightfully questioned, "But isn't dat the idea behind visualization . I mean , i visualize that the change has already happened while it isn't and then the desired change ensues."

One would have to identify a new level of consciousness that one wants to move to before one starts climbing towards it. Once the goal is set the process of getting rid of the undesirable thought patterns / habits (old consciousness) and replacing them with (receiving) the new consciousness can start. The good bit is that our job is just 25% and if you are enthusiastic about it, you already have God (and His strata of consciousness) with you!

Master also said "A saint is a sinner who never gave up". Just 25%! Amazing, isn't it!?
Nito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
mccoy
supernal user

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito View Post
...Just 25%! Amazing, isn't it!?
More exactly, we should make 100% effort of our 25% share.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
Nito

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
More exactly, we should make 100% effort of our 25% share.
yep
Old 09-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
Nito

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakrsna View Post
Do you mean we are saints if we never gave up what? & sinners if we gave up what? Answer: Doing good & bad. If you never stop doing good you are a saint. & if you stop doing bad you are a saint. So, if you never stop doing bad then you are a sinner & if you stop doing good you are a sinner. In other words, a sinner can never be bad if he never stop doing good. & a saint can never be good if he never gave up doing bad.
I love being the last one to post in any thread, even though, i admit, it might not add much substance to the thread discussion or have any relevance whatsoever.

Having said that, you do make a good point up there Rajakrsna.

Mr. Magnito
Old 09-18-2010, 02:17 AM   #15
mccoy
supernal user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito View Post
I love being the last one to post in any thread, even though, i admit, it might not add much substance to the thread discussion or have any relevance whatsoever.

Mr. Magnito
Actually, it's going to boost your posts number